• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment & Kadokawa Pictures USA to Release Rental Magica

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trandraskell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
This is great. Loved the show and Right Stuff is becoming my favorite distro company
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right Stuff is becoming my favorite distro company

So you like some shoddy extras, no dubbing, and the same price point as series that get a load of actual, you know, care put into them? Really?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
trandraskell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
i do not care if a show has dubbing or not. I watch most of my shows in Japanese any how. I have enjoyed all their releases but we all have differant tastes
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

So you like some shoddy extras, no dubbing, and the same price point as series that get a load of actual, you know, care put into them? Really?

I don't know what you're talking about, but I've quite enjoyed the extras put into Victorian Romance Emma. Your utter hatred for Nozomi is ridiculous.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

I understand you get pissy because it doesn't have a dub, but you keep bringing up this bizarre complaint about their extras which is just blatantly false. This release will come with 100 page booklets. All of their other releases except MariMite came with nice booklets as well, though not nearly that huge. They also include at least decent on-disc extras. They aren't necessarily anything mindblowing, but they are better than what most other companies are giving us in terms of extras for most titles.

Some of Bandai's LEs have some nice physical extras, but the regular editions haven't had anything worthwhile anytime recently. Code Geass had some nice on-disc extras but I'm not aware of any other titles that had anything notable lately. It doesn't look like Gundam 00 is getting the same treatement (the only on-disc extras seem to be the trailers; the LE extras seem to be just the manga volumes and if there is going to be a box, it won't be with part 1).

Funi is... better than I expected when I went and looked at my recent purchases. If you are a dub fan, of course they have better extras since they tend to have dub VA and production commentary and occasionally outtakes. Every set or single seems to have at least one of those. What they have for Japanese or otherwise non-dub related extras vary a bit. School Rumble and Claymore have interviews with Japanese staff and actors. Strain has art galleries and Negima has some sort of notes. So, they have decent on-disc extras but usually nothing at all for physical extras.

Nozomi won't have those dub extras, of course, simply because they don't have dubs. But they have the Japanese extras to make up for it (and easily match whatever Funi or Bandai offer in that regard) along with physical extras other companies can rarely compare with (only Bandai LEs have anything comparable). Most of their sets come with booklets of some sort filled with interesting information on the series. Nozomi also has pre-order bonuses if you order from their online shop, such as Aria postcards or some very impressive (and complicated) paper models (also Aria).

(The ADV of old had a lot of nice stuff with their releases [see Excel Saga, Abenobashi, Pani Poni Dash, Rahxephon, Godannar, Le Chevelier d'Eon, and, my favorite, Madlax] but now only their reanimated corpse called "Sentai" remains.)

Also, while most companies just toss up a barebones website for their titles and do little to nothing with it, Nozomi has some very impressive sites for their titles. They aren't DVD extras, but it does show the care for their licenses.

It's fine that you're upset with the lack of a dub, but you are grasping at straws that don't exist in your attempt to paint Nozomi as this company that doesn't care about its product, as all evidence points to the exact opposite.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Nozomi releases do have quite a bit of care put into them, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with their extras. I will acknowledge that the lack of a dub is a deal-breaker for many, but there are a lot of us who are perfectly happy watching it subtitled.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

Shoddy extras? I'd say the stuff I've seen them put into the Aria, Emma, and Marimite boxes are better extras than "PREVIEWS FOR OTHER SHOWS, CLEAN OPENINGS AND CLOSINGS, INTERACTIVE MENUS, NOW WITH COLOR!" Those aren't extras, and that's what tends to occupy most DVD's I've seen. Physical extras trump DVD extras almost 9 times out of 10.

Just because they lack your necessary dub doesn't mean that they completely treated their own release like shit.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Again, really sick and tired of you and I'm pretty close to kicking your predictable whiny ass out of here, so watch it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Isn't this complaint number 245?

I'm interested in the show and the fact that they had it go through like Haruhi did when it first aired. What seems pretty cool about the release that Nozomi is providing is that you have the option of watching it in chronological order or the other order that the show had to it. Probably would have made it interesting for Haruhi if Bandai had done the same thing, so Nozomi is certainly being able to market this.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:

<snip> (beautiful explanation and defense of Nozomi)

It's fine that you're upset with the lack of a dub, but you are grasping at straws that don't exist in your attempt to paint Nozomi as this company that doesn't care about its product, as all evidence points to the exact opposite.

Couldn't agree more. Nozomi's packaging for a sub only release is second to none. This one is even given the option of broadcast or chronological order. It shows that Nozomi really cares for and respects the franchise. ADV continues to show that they care for and respect their franchises as they recover. Go ADV! Go Nozomi!

I really wish that Nozomi or ADV would license Mononoke, Kaiba, Denno Coil...

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Nozomi licensing Mononoke would make me cry from happiness because I know they would do an excellent job. Can you imagine the art book that would come with that??
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Nozomi licensing Mononoke would make me cry from happiness because I know they would do an excellent job. Can you imagine the art book that would come with that??

Yes, we can. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
A dub is like the meat of the product for me. I don't buy steak because of the pretty packaging, and the cute recipe booklet that comes with it. I just want the meat. Wink
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this might be an interesting watch.

Hopefully I'll be able to see a preview episode at some point before making a purchase (like Anime Network on Demand, or maybe even a free online stream).
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure you could also rent the entire series before buying through an online DVD rental service. Even if you don't have a subscription, I'm pretty sure most if not all of them offer a free trial.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1