• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azumanga Daioh Manga's 3 New Chapters to Debut in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kurt Hassler indicated that his company is not releasing a version of Japan's 10th anniversary edition.

That's too bad, but maybe that will change ...much, much later on.

This is really great. I never would have never thought that this series would ever come back in any way besides rereleases.

How will this affect Yotsuba? Is Azuma still going to work on that regularly or will he take breaks between both series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kurt Hassler indicated that his company is not releasing a version of Japan's 10th anniversary edition.

Well, that bites. It's like saying "Here's some great stuff that's coming that you can't have." Thems the breaks for the moment, I guess, but still... It's not like that's unusual for anime-related news though.

In either case, it's good news that they're getting more Azumanga Daioh in Japan. Hopefully it'll show up here eventually. Of course, even if they were planning to publish it in the US, we wouldn't see it for a while anyway.

Manga has a hard enough time in the US as it is (particularly in this economy) that I'm not sure that any older titles can really sell enough of such anniversary editions in the US to make a profit unless they're really popular. So, it's not all that surprising that they're not planning on releasing it here. Still, we can hope that they'll change their minds at some point.
commieneko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How will this affect Yotsuba? Is Azuma still going to work on that regularly or will he take breaks between both series?

It sounds like this is just a special for the 10th anniversary collection reprint. No one would be happier than me for a new series, but it doesn't sound like this is that.

It is beyond me why Yen Press would come out with a new edition and not use the new material. I would buy it in a heart beat. (A new translation would be great as well; the ADV translation was pretty mediocre.) As it is, since I already own the series, I doubt very seriously I'll be picking up a copy of the new edition.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one surprise that it's debuting in Monthly Shonen Sunday?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
sweet more Azumanga Daioh!

I only own volume 3 of the ADR print, if the Yen Press copy's where the new ones with the new chapters I would go out and buy them. But seeing as there not I don't see me going out and buying any of the other volumes
panzer.time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Sad we ain't gonna see anything bigtime outta this. I watched the show and I've been meaning to get my hands on the manga for quite some time. I was very muchly excited to read the original announcement of more AD, but it appears that such excitement was premature.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
commieneko wrote:
A new translation would be great as well; the ADV translation was pretty mediocre.

Good news:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-04-01/yen-press-to-reissue-azumanga-in-new-english-edition
Quote:
Yen's version will be a newly translated and lettered version of ADV Manga's release
Massgomi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to import the 10th anniversary edition, even if it means double-dipping on the English volumes of Azumanga Daioh (I enjoy the series that much). Smile
yojimboray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
I would love to get a glimpse of what happened to the characters post-high school.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Too bad that there aren't any plans to release it here. It would have been nice.

Man 10 years already? Wow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1