• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vandread By the River

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I only read this column for "Perishable" titles. Sarcasm is what I like.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
One has to take into account generations of not seeing men either....

Actually, this brings up the question I always have when fiction explores the one-sex-only idea. How can they have generations at all if they don't have both halves of the equation? Confused

Cloning, I suppose, is the cop-out answer, but it opens up a whole bunch of other questions, particularly on the all-male side. Shocked

...aaaaaand I think I'm digging way too deeply into the science of a show that sounds like it's pretty light on the scientific realism scale. Wink
MarthaC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Fake Alias wrote:
I can only agree on the Kiba critisism.. The story doesn't get better when the main character reveals his spoiler[EPIC mother complex.. He pretty much wines for half the show because of his mother.... And his mother.. She just wants to kill him and get his shards.] But then again so would I if someone acted like he did..

Mad I got burned thrice on this one 1- I watched the first few episodes about A Stupid Kid who keeps on doing stupid things to get people mad at him 2- I paid for it on Comcast's Anime Network on demand 3-Then when Anime Network was dropped a week or two later I realized that if I wanted to see this again I was out of luck on Comcast-not very honorable of them! Good thing I don't want to see this again!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
How long havew you been reviewing anime & never noticed this? The Japanese don't really seem to give a rat's rear about lip flaps which is why it always seems so strange Americans get so rirles up about it.

It actually varies quite a lot. More cheaply made series (especially ones that are long and ongoing) care a lot less, and even within ones that play closer attention to lip syncing, there are moments of sloppiness. But there are a lot of series that actually do bother to match the lips and the lines. True, asking that every word match every opening and closing of a character's mouth is too much (TV shows aren't made on a Pixar or Disney budget), but it's still a valid criticism that they ought to be close enough that it isn't glaringly noticeable. If you're watching something and thinking "Wow, the lips and dialogue don't match at all!" without having to pay close attention, then the animation's got a problem.

Whether it should weight heavily or not in a review is probably a matter of opinion, though. Clearly for Bamboo the lip-sync could have been perfect and she'd still have hated the series.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Vandread should be shelf worthy. Yes the series had a little bit of fanservice, but only maybe 2-3 times. The main male character Hibiki started out as a brash and hotheaded, but ended up becoming more leveled headed than most main male character's I've seen.

The CG is awesome, as are the fights as well. No fight scene is longer than it needs to be. Overall this is just a really great series.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy about the addition of Stream Worthy in Shelf Life,and I'm equally happy that Ristorante Paradiso was featured. I thought it would end up being severely underrated and over-looked. I do agree about the character designs (Nicoletta's primarily,but the older guys are pretty cool and...attractive,though I don't usually say that about anime characters over the age of 30 Laughing ). I just love the mellow,relaxed mood of the show and great visuals.
animemaniac14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
fusion reborn is actually tied for my fav dbz movie (the ORIGINAL dub of World's Strongest is my other #1) I just love how it's the only one where there's a shitload of cussing...plus janemba is badass..c'mon im 23 and i can admit it
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I would also like to see a streaming column separate from others. Although with Funimation's streaming down, it might not be quite the best timing. Still, there's a few sites still up. And it took me a while to find a lot of shows so a column that points, as well as release dates, these out would be helpful.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I will agree with most posters -- Vandread was about as substantial as cotton candy at the beginning, but it had its moments, especially in the second season. I'm thinking about spoiler[Bart's reaction after the girl (I can't recall her name right now) dies.] So often, that kind of thing would be shrugged off, but it affects spoiler[Bart] throughout the rest of the series. Definitely shelf-worthy, IMHO.

Regarding Rex's "nerd cave," I've got three things: 1. WTF is he watching, Jon and Kate Plus 8? At least throw some kind of anime DVD on the tube before snapping the picture for ANN. 2. It looks not so much like a "nerd cave" as the average American finished basement, which also happens to be where the family's junk all ends up. 3. You can't mention a dog without showing the beastie.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
Definitely shelf-worthy, IMHO.

Yeup ... even if for no other reason that being far beyond the same level as the DBZ 2-pack (despite both being umpteenth-releases.)
Quote:
damn books

*raging glare* ... what did you just say about books?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm very happy to see so many people backing up Vandread as Shelf Worthy. I enjoyed the first season immensely and the second season just completely catapulted it into one of my favorite sci-fi series ever.

Even so, almost no one I know has even seen a single episode of the show, so I'm glad to see it getting the love it deserves!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
On Vandread.

I would consider the second half of the series shelfworthy, but the first 12-13 episodes were almost intolerable to me. Just how many shorter than average hot headed male protagonists who shoot off their mouth before thinking do we need to see? I wanted him to die, suddenly and violently, so the show could proceed without the crutch of seeing his reformation. That is my pet peeve anime trope.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Just because it's an all-female society does not presume that they are all lesbians, nor does it presume that there is a higher percentage of lesbians than the current Earth population. Even if the women are more likely to form partnerships, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's sexual, either.

Notably, the all-male population in the series is not a gay society either.

Yeah. Why is it there's a lesbian Catholic schoolgirl fetish, but no gay Catholic schoolboy one?

Mind we did have mostly female teachers. Now that I think about it, I don't know if my sisters' school had any male teachers. Still, they see male family members and a priest on a regular basis.

Given the mostly female cast in Vandread, it's telling that only one actual lesbian couple was established. Kind of like Marimite.

irishninja wrote:
Actually, this brings up the question I always have when fiction explores the one-sex-only idea. How can they have generations at all if they don't have both halves of the equation?

IIRC, the male planet had factories for making babies. Genetically engineered for variety, I guess.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Vandread is definitely shelfworthy and if anyone is looking for it rightstuf has a few boxsets left for $30 -

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/1dwMT1Mi7pHEpLzGfa/browse/item/68731/4/0/0

Absolute steal at that price.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

It actually varies quite a lot. More cheaply made series (especially ones that are long and ongoing) care a lot less, and even within ones that play closer attention to lip syncing, there are moments of sloppiness. But there are a lot of series that actually do bother to match the lips and the lines. True, asking that every word match every opening and closing of a character's mouth is too much (TV shows aren't made on a Pixar or Disney budget), but it's still a valid criticism that they ought to be close enough that it isn't glaringly noticeable. If you're watching something and thinking "Wow, the lips and dialogue don't match at all!" without having to pay close attention, then the animation's got a problem.

Overall, I've seen it in a lot of series. Some VA's are better than others, but the very nature of how the Japanese dubs are done (radio show style) makes for less room for perfection. It seems the studios do pay for what they get considering the glowing praise for the vets vs the newbs on Area 88 TV in the commentary but money is money & they aren't going to re-do a take for a minor flub.

Quote:
Actually, this brings up the question I always have when fiction explores the one-sex-only idea. How can they have generations at all if they don't have both halves of the equation?

It's a theme that has been explored in sci-fi more than once. In Mork & Mindy Mork was a test tube baby as were all from his planet. In a society advanced enough to travel thru space at will, it would be likely they possessed other scientific knowledge. Our own society possesses the beginning & the end of the process in that we can fertilize the egg outside a human & we can remove the fetus at a fairly early stage which seems to get earlier all the time as science advances. There's no reason to doubt at some point someone will figure how to do it all outside a living host. The whole abortion debate could be altered if there were a feasable means of removing the fetus one woman doesn't want & implanting it into a woman who does or bringing it to term outside a human host. On the other hand, that does ignore the feelings of said fetus once it became old enough to think about why it was discarded/abandonded by the original mother as we already see in society with children who have been abandoned by a parent. In a way, the test tube concept could be seen as a way around that since no one is abandoned if no one has a parent but it leaves the nurturing issue. (Also explored in sci fi with surrogate parents or the state rearing everyone in institutions)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6