• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senran Kagura (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote

Senran Kagura

Genres: action, ecchi
# of episodes: 12

Episode 1
Yup, I got what I expected from the first episode.

The very beginning scenes involves spoiler[Asuka fighting against some ninjas at night in the city among the buildings. It looks a bit chessy but gets the point across imo. Anyways, the ecchi part does come into play later on especially when the girls are changing and involving this girl]

Yup, also quite a lot of action this episode. There's also some other characters shown near the end which I guess might be antagonists or at least adversaries for the main characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
ep.1

spoiler[meet asuka who past through a test now arrive at hanzou academy school which is secret ninja school with include a ojou ninja, doobi grab feeling blonde, one eye girl, & clumsy girl all 5 of them main ninja girl group.

with master who pop out of smoke bombs tell them to do mission to stop school bullies so on the mission go while asusa got distract dark girl she met on boat.

the other 4 main ninja girls battle the bullies but it turned to be bunch of puppets cue ninja battle zone & beat the puppets.

while asuka came late with rest wonder going yea the dark girl that asuka meet is part another ninja female group that also behind puppets cue the challenge is on.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Another not too good show today, although this has been the best I have watched today, which does not say much. This is one of those ecchi action shows where he get panty shots, boobs spilling out and corney explanations for having girls fight. But there does seem to be some form of irony with things like the old guy eating the food sexilly after the other girl, increasingly rediculous fighting tropes with transforming and over fetishy outfits after the cliche enemies. Perhaps even the fact the teacher made fun of the main girl for useing a smoke bomb, despite the fact he keeps useing them.

The problem is that it has so far it has been very subtle that I might actually call it a stealth parody, it might get confused as what it is trying to make fun of. But just look at their school situation, there is no way it is serious. But at the same time I am drawn in by the fanservice of that Katsuragi girl, I am only a man after all.

I hope I am not overanalyzing it, but I may continue this.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The thing about this genre is that parody and not-parody aren't really distinguishable any more. The show certainly isn't subversive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The thing about this genre is that parody and not-parody aren't really distinguishable any more.
That is true, but you can have it done in a dumb way where it really is not much different from what it is paroding like Rozario Vampire, or more inteligently like say Ben-to. I do not know if from the first episode though what this is going to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
Eh, I liked it. It's cute and sexy. It's been a little while since I've seen a heavy fanservice/ecchi title that I really liked and this might be a candidate.

I like how all the shinobis have huge tits. It's that kind of attention to realistic detail that really sells the show.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Another fanservice show, but it is watchable to me. My favorite character so far is Yagyuu she seemed laid back, and was cool versus the other characters. I'm not sure of the sexuality of Katsuragi she kept grabbing the girls boobs and what not. Rather she's Bi or gay doesn't really matter to me, My first impression of her was the most confident in her abilities. Obviously from the first episode Hibari was the least skilled in terms of combat, and she sort of gives off this shy girl appearance you might say, nevertheless she did her best overall in the first episode. Asuka seems like a block head, other than that I have nothing more to say about her. Ikaruga to me is very cool as well, it seems like she can hold a very entertaining argument amongst the girls from Senran Kagura. Cool
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I like Yuu Kobayashi having a lead role, but this show really requires flat out toplessness to have a good time. I'm not watching this for the plot.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Well, it is what I thought it was.

You can have good ero-shows, but they either have to be secretly charming (Sekirei) or self-deprecatingly stupid (Sora no Otoshimono). So far, SK hasn't shown me that yet. It is stupid, yes, but not absurdly so, and there are elements that could be charming, but only the barest hints of them. Too much emphasis was placed on really cheesy, unoriginal, discredited tropes, which harmed the viewing experience. Look, one girl keeps groping another, because that's what all girls do when they're alone, amirite? And ninja magical-girl transformation sequence? For the love of Benji! Plus the transformation outfits are both utterly impractical for battle and something that no sane woman would be caught dead in. These are things that I have the most problem with, when these ero-shows do something really stupid like this and then play it straight, as if the viewer was as dumb as a box of really dumb things. And our budding heroine is really clumsy and scatterbrained! Ha, I've NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE JAPAN!

And yeah, not really that much fanservice. There are the requisite boob and oshiri shots, but no nekkid naughty bits yet, which was odd. So with the fanservice weak and the plot pathetic, this really comes down to the characters. If they can make the characters interesting, fun or compelling, the show could overcome it's deficiencies. But that's not going happen. No, this is going to be weak sauce, weak indeed, but I'll keep watching, mostly out of morbid curiosity.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Too bad there wasn't any fighting but more of the summoning, giggling, and the girls having fun. A battle is brewing though based on that ending as well as what's to come from this episode.

Oh, and those spoiler[frogs]. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I probably should not be liking this as much as I am, despite looking like a bad ecchi show some of the production values draw me in. And spoiler[frogs], every ecchi anime needs some sort of spoiler[slimy creature].

I am still having fun.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
haven't watched episdoe 2 yet, but I do like it. I don't really expect anything out of it, but that's ok. Sometimes it's nice just watching a fun pointless show with a lot of jiggling

Last edited by getchman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[well give some "hmm" about puppets attack so give on alert & avoid outside people so now train for summon animals.

give most summon are ok especially pink rabbit but asuka can't summon her yet & oh she also have fear of frogs.

then her grandpa make a visit give some sushi & also asuka about family history with frogs give also had talk with smoke-bomb teacher about seem puppets are from rival school.

give while asuka still trying get over frog fear while also ojou-ninja got "frog attack" so two pick-up food til attack from crossbow female.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
oh grandpa Hanzo, you dirty old man.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 am Reply with quote
Laughing No wonder he has his own portable sushi-making counter, eh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5