• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Will live-action anime ever be successful?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
or is it gonna end up failing like its cousin, the video game adaptation? I just read a rather negative review of the new live action Blood ( http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/review-of-blood-the-last-vampire/ ). This, along with the stellar popularity of Speed Racer and Dragon Ball, is not a good start. And yet, companies are buying the rights to properties now more than ever. We have Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and Ninja Scroll in preproduction/filming. Then there are the properties just scooped up, such as FMP, Bubblegum Crisis, Death Note, and the ever elusive Eva picture that is currently burning in the 7th level of developmental hell right along side James Cameron's Battle Angel.

I wanted to like Speed Racer and Dragon Ball. I really did. I was pumped about Blood, but now I'm getting nervous (still gonna see it, even if it is just a hollow action flick. Doesn't mean I'll hate it. I enjoyed the Wolverine movie for what it was). The only anime adaptation that has succeeded tremendously is Transformers, and ironically, that is a title that most people would never associate with anime (except us of course Very Happy ).

So... I guess the question is, will there ever be a successful live action anime adaptation? Or will they all be the Super Mario/Street Fighter/Final Fantasy/Mortal Kombat's of the adaptation cinema world? (to be honest I liked Final Fantasy and Mortal Kombat, but had to make a point).

Now some people probably loathe the idea of live action anime, while others think its the next best thing. Personally, I like the idea. If live action anime succeeds big time (no matter how Americanized it is), then there will be a bigger demand for anime in general, and then maybe channels like Cartoon Network will get back with the program and start having anime blocks again, and maybe more anime movies will get released state side.... yes, just a pipe dream, but its my pipe dream, and it could theoretically happen (as could I win the lottery while getting struck by lightening, but hey, there's still a chance).

But in order for this to happen, it is my personal opinion is that Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and/or Ninja Scroll have to succeed. These 3 are synonymous with anime. Love em or hate em, their impact on anime fandom cannot be denied. More people are going to recognize these properties from their anime roots than say Bubble Gum Crisis or FMP. Especially Akira and Ninja Scroll, since they were bigger hits in the late 80's/90's. (I know quite a few people who's only exposure to anime was either one of those two or Ghost in the Shell).

Thoughts? Or am I just being a doomsayer?

Last edited by David.Seth on Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well, without writing a treatise on the subject, I think most of us want live-action adaptations of Anime to be successful. But to do well at the box-office movies have to first get made. And in this global recession I'm not holding out much hope for that to happen. I mean sure, movie sales are up this year, but do studios really have the money to be taking risks? And risks they will be, considering the poor track record (of live-action adaptations of Anime).

Hopefully, once the economy recovers Hollywood will use all the cash they made in the recession and splurge on new movies. They'll want a ready-made script with an existing fanbase and strong potential appeal. Anime can give them that; let's hope they are serious. Until then, we'll just have to wait.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
They'll start succeeding more when the people making them remember that successful movies have solid scripts and likeable, believable characters.
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
Possibly, and for as long as we don't have people whining as to how this and that are not 100% in-line with the original material.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
That Twitch review is dumb.

Quote:
She rarely broke a sweat

She's also half-vampire, doofus. Razz

Quote:
And to round up the disappointments in this very choppy film, what was unforgivable the sense of deja-vu in having a scene lifted from Underworld: Evolution.

Ironic comment, considering that lawsuit the first Underworld was engaged in with a certain board game company. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Bottom line is, Blood: The Last Vampire is a straight forward action film.

And that's bad, because...?

Anyway, in response to the thread, I'm hoping Astro Boy is the first genuine success, but the only one which has any potential, if done right, is Death Note.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
One example of a live action anime movie being successful is Transformers. That was a hit. I am excited about cowboy bebop too.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Speed Racer, although I never watched the anime so I wouldn't be able to compare it.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
One example of a live action anime movie being successful is Transformers. That was a hit. I am excited about cowboy bebop too.

Well, yeah, but lets be fair about this... most people who think of transformers relate it to either the toy line or the 80's cartoon show. Ooops, i mean, anime. See? I didn't know transformers was even an anime until the first live action movie came out Embarassed so even though technically it was based on an anime, most people dont realize that, whereas a lot of people are going to associate live action Akira/Cowboy Bebop/Ninja Scroll with anime.

EvanUnisil wrote:
I actually liked Speed Racer, although I never watched the anime so I wouldn't be able to compare it.

Well, I didn't hate it. It certainly was a visual feast for the eyes, but in the end, thats all it was Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking in a personal POV, I never really liked Japenese actors/actress/, rather I didn't even give them a chance; heck i rarely even like watching Hollywood actors/actress, so it is highly unlikely that live action anime will ever be successful. I think live action can only be close to being successful if Hollywood takes over, which includes american actors/actresses that speak English, but that too is a huge leap of faith.

Last edited by Darc_knight on Sat May 23, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Once the movie industry realises that if you hit the "happy median" for movies based on other formats, we will start to see better movies. Until then, we get Dragonball Z Evolution......
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It will be if it is done the right way. People have to realize that things that look cool in anime, look like crap in live action. For example, Yu Yu Hakusho looks cool in the anime format. But in the end Yusuka shooting a laser beam out of the tip of his finger wouldn't look so bad ass when but in live action (not yet anyways). But you might point out that things such as the Transformers live action movie looked cool, so why not anime? Well the reason why Transformers looks good is for two reasons. One, they changed the look to be more edgy and awesome. And two, they had a huge budget. So if a live action anime movie did both of these, they could produce a good looking movie. But the chances of an anime movie getting a huge budget is quite slim.

I think a better way to do the live action movies is by lowering the amount of special effects, or doing creative adaptations. If we do movies (like Old Boy) which require very little special effects we can make some cool movies. Or if we stick to creative adaptations (like The Matirx) we could have live actions movies which just have some anime flare to it. I think both of these ideas work well and can assure a good product, if done correctly. That's my idea at least.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely on the side of wishing to see live-action movies based on anime properties succeed, just like I was when the movie biz started to latch on to making video game adaptations. Problem is with video game based films I'm still waiting for a good one to come out. Or I was, they've almost all been so bad that I've kinda given up hope on that front. But still right now I'm optimistic that anime based live-action films will get the success they deserve. I just think they should probably take a chance on some anime that are a little more based on reality before they tackle the big fantastic stories that might be harder to sell to the general public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
At this rate? Never.

But with the amount coming out and some having decent production values... we can hope. I don't see the appeal in adapting anime to live-action, but if it's done well, I'd give it a watch.

Producers just have to realize that they need to nail the atmosphere of the anime, and not simply copy its visual style. What made the series so good? The characters? The plot? They should focus on that.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I do hope Ghost in the Shell changes the trend a bit. A big problem I see from these adaptations is that they're usually low-budget and just not polished enough.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
How can you call it "Live Action Anime" when it is made in America - in Hollywood? Laughing

(just kidding)

To answer this thread's question -- it all depends on the execution of the production of the movie.

1. Hollywood producers MUST understand the story of an anime in order to make a movie out of it.
2. Hollywood needs to get away from the "sensationalism" that most of its movies have been producing nowadays.

Granted - I'm seeing that most people have been liking the Star Trek movie. Having been a traditional "fan" of Star Trek, I found the movie to be "offensive" - even though I haven't bothered to watch it. I guess, I'm still in more favor to old school Star Trek - for now, while I watch Next Generation over and over again. Eventually, I'll watch it.

To this day, I haven't even bothered to watch anything Hollywood has made over the past couple years. Simply, my faith in their ability to produce anything good -- went out the window. Just seeing previews and stuff had been enough for me to think -- blah.

Hollywood needs to get off its high horse - to focus more on the "cake" rather than the "icing". Then, they'll actually make something good.

David.Seth wrote:
Cowboy Bebop

If Keanu Reaves still plays Spike... good luck with that one. Laughing

David.Seth wrote:
If live action anime succeeds big time (no matter how Americanized it is), then there will be a bigger demand for anime in general

And I'll have to agree. If Hollywood wants access to these stories, they'll have to pay up. That would also mean - more dollars going back to the industry in Japan -- to make up for all the lost revenue incurred by fansubbing. Shame on all of us here. Twisted Evil Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3