• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster)

Genres: Comedy, Romance

Plot:
Bookworm Shizuku Mizutani has few interests besides her grade and future career. Requested by her teacher, Mizutani brought handouts to Haru Yoshida, a boy who should have been seated next to her but was suspended due to injuring another student in a fight on the first day of school. Because of the favor, Yoshida now considers Mizutani a friend, and she also learns that Yoshida is in fact a very nice, gentle guy.

Number of Episodes: 12

ANN Link
AniDB Link
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
What a great one-episode standalone show.

Oh, there's more?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Dat surprise kiss @ the end.]

I liked this episode tbh and those two makes a funny duo Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

spoiler[Shizuku & the forever absent Yoshida.
Haru looks like the most interesting character of the all.
That guy seems to have a lot of mischanneled energy.
The dry ice girl meets volcano hot guy. They'd make a good couple.
Haru is really weak & naive when someone mentions the word Tomodachi.
Weird guy + weird girl = even weirder relationship.
Their love <-> hate relationship is just awesome!!!]

The Haru character really looks like Oreki from Hyouka though..
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow that was great first episode,there was some much development this could have passed easily as short film.Otherwise it had very pleasant and colorful pallet,nice directing,great voice acting and very funny and charming script.I just hope it keeps up like this.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This show wasn't really on my radar till now, but I'm glad crunchyroll picked it up, as I really enjoyed the first episode. Others have already said some of the positive things about it, but there was one negative part that bothered me: and that was when he spoiler[pulled her into the alley that one time and "threatened" to rape her. It felt really out of place and odd for a character they seemed to be making comically over the top. I know it obviously wasn't any serious threat, and it does kind of go along with how he clearly has no idea how to behave in a normal fashion or how his actions are perceived by others, but it still felt weird to me.]

Fortunately, aside from that one misstep, I had no real issues with the show. I'm curious as to what roles the other characters shown in the opening scene will play. From the preview, it looks like next episode we will be introduced to what will surely be the best character of all: spoiler[the chicken!]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Agreed with Mad_Scientist, I found that to be the one mistake they made in the first episode. I was a bit sad that summer season ended, but not anymore...
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Didn't anyone else pick up on the fact that Haru spoiler[is super smart? He was the freshman with the highest test scores.] That to me was an excellent little tidbit. It certainly helps explain Haru's eccentric behavior. I mean, spoiler[genius people] tend to be a little odd, right? As in, having little to no social skills, i.e. not understanding what it means to care for someone.

Wasn't too sold on Shizuku until she spoiler[threw her soda at Haru.] Retaliation baby! Payback's a bitch. Smile

But, the pacing was pretty fast for a first episode. I found I rather liked that - one month jump and all. Personally, I cannot wait to find out more about blondie. You know, the guy who ogled Shizuku at the fast food joint. He looks to be my type. Wink
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hm, Haru's got the looks, but he's a bit too violent for my tastes Wink. I don't find the blonde guy that attractive, he's all yours. Wait, I shouldn't judge too much on looks. It's refreshing that many anime shows this year aren't afraid to show intimacy between characters. For example, when Shizuku spoiler[hugged Haru]. Sweet.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Hm, Haru's got the looks, but he's a bit too violent for my tastes. Wink I don't find the blonde guy that attractive, he's all yours. Wait, I shouldn't judge too much on looks. It's refreshing that many anime shows this year aren't afraid to show intimacy between characters. For example, when Shizuku spoiler[hugged Haru]. Sweet.

Well, I'm naturally attracted to blond guys...always have been. Which is probably why I like Tamaki Suoh from OHSHC, Allen from Escaflowne (even though he's a douche bag), and Arashi from Paradise Kiss. Oh, and the blonde thing carries over into real life men as well. Razz

Totally agree about the intimacy. Very sweet, and very nice to see, especially Shizuku's reactions...O_o...Laughing
bbstephieee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was pretty fast paced, but did anyone else get sort of a Kare Kano vibe to it spoiler[in it that both characters are ridiculously smart and one of them is fighting to be the one on the top? ]

Kare Kano was one of my favourites so this episode really got me hooked. Hope the rest of the series will continue to be as good as the first ep.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. I too stubbed my toe on the spoiler[rape threat] but I've gotten to the point where my eyes just kind of glaze over and I utter a soundless "Oh Japan" when that happens.

I like the breakneck (by normal shoujo standards) pace. Seems like this show is actually going to be about an odd couple IN a relationship as opposed to an odd couple slowly, slowly, ever so slowly stumbling toward one.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
While I like Shizuku and her mannerisms, I think the real star of the show is going to be Haru. The way he acts and talks is such a refreshing take on the 'bad boy' type of guy and Shizuku makes a great foil to it.

This episode felt more like a one-shot story, like an OVA rather then the pilot to a series, but I'm glad it's going to be one. I look forward to seeing more of Haru in the coming weeks.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
This show looks like it will turn out to be the hit of the season.

Haru is a great example of the adage that good boyfriend material can get away with anything as long as they're not boring.

Blood- wrote:
I too stubbed my toe on the spoiler[rape threat] but I've gotten to the point where my eyes just kind of glaze over and I utter a soundless "Oh Japan" when that happens.

I had a problem with this too, and not the first time. I have seen a couple of other anime where that was done, and the reaction was notably passive in each case. I wonder if it fundamentally means something different in Japan than it would here.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Damn I loved the first episode. I have been waiting for a while for an anime like Lovely Complex to come out and this one looks like it might fit the bill. Both characters are great and the comedy is great and those were the hardest issue I had with the recent RomCom that came out recently. Either I disliked one of the characters or the comedy was lacking or there was really no romance.

Also I laughed spoiler[ at the rape threat.] I have no idea why but it was random and her reaction was funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18