• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Teh Rules Proposal]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
In my (very humble) opinion "Teh Rules" could use a slight update; therefore, I respectfully -- to say nothing of humbly -- submit the below for Christopher Macdonald's consideration. --nbahn

Teh Rules are a work in progress. Discussion, disagreement, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

As for "Teh", it's a joke regarding a spelling mistake that I frequently make. I'm not the first person to post "Teh Rules", I claim no originality in naming them as such; it has been done before.

The administrators of these fora hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation, we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date. Silly topics are acceptable from time to time, but if and when they become too prevalent the fora moderators have the right to close (lock) them even if they do not break any of the specific rules outlined here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Above all else: Be Polite

1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.
  2. English Language Usage
    1. These fora are English-language fora. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.
    2. IRC Channel
      1. Our IRC "Chat" channel is meant to be a relaxed place, it's not necessarry for conversations to be on topic, correct grammar and punctuation is not as necessarry as in the fora (but try to remain comprehensible please), quoting isn't necessary, and one liners are fine.
      2. All other fora rules remain in effect in the IRC Chat Channel.
      3. Colored text is frowned upon. Please stick to black, to reduce clutter.
  3. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.
  4. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
  5. Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.
  6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part.
  7. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
  8. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, private message Christopher Macdonald (Tempest) and/or click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
  9. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Fora! ANN's non-subscriber fora are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. With the exception of the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum (see rules here), users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Commerce is allowed in the Retail Fora! However, in the regular Retail Forum commerce is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell DVDs in the regular retail forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #10 will be removed and their URLs banned (see Rule #12).
  10. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.
    cookie wrote:
    And, a mini-Editorial on the matter:
    In general, no file may be requested on ANN in any way (including via Private Message), unless that file has been specifically distributed BY the company owning it for purposes of internet propagation.
  11. While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message (see rule #8b). Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.
  12. This forum has banned a number of URLs to known bootlegging websites. If a user posts an URL that displays as [This URL is a Known Bootlegging website], or a similar warning message, the user may not evade the censor. Users that evade the censor may be punished.
  13. Use the search engine and read the site. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
  14. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think that that it's just plain common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.
  15. Necroposting is discussed here.
  16. What to do if you've been banned

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[Privacy Statement]
The information you enter during your registration is stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent we cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempts that may lead to the data being compromised. If data entered is requested by law authorities, we will comply fully with their request.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any information about you, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure by saving your forum settings. Your email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). Your IP address will be logged with each post but will only be viewable to administrators and moderators.

Concluding Statements:
If you think something is unfair, private message Tempest and explain the situation. We will consider the complaint as fairly as we are capable of doing.

Last edited by nobahn on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 11 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Screw the rules, I have money.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Screw the rules, I have money.

And I at least have chicken.

But on a more serious note, merely out of curiosity what updates are you thinking of in particular Nbahn?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the formatting? #8B is entirely my creation; I've also crow-barred in a couple rules that were later added in that same thread and added links for necroposting and banning. I've also added a reference or two about the Subscriber forum.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Nbahn: Given the text you wrote, I figured that was the original terms of service, albeit potentially shortened. For me, it's been several years since I last read the TOS though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
As per tempest --nbahn

Teh Rules are a work in progress. Discussion, disagreement, criticism, comments and suggestions are all permitted.

As for "Teh", it's a joke regarding a spelling mistake that I frequently make. I'm not the first person to post "Teh Rules", I claim no originality in naming them as such, it has been done before.

The administrators of this forum these fora hope to promote an environment of intelligent conversation, we would prefer to hear your thoughts or questions behind the meaning of a particular anime, not what anime character you'd like to date. Silly topics are acceptable from time to time, but if and when they become to prevalent the forum fora moderators have the right to close (lock) them even if they do not break any of the specific rules outlined here.

Above all else: Be Polite.

1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.
  2. English language usage
    1. These fora are English-language fora. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.
    2. IRC channel
      1) Our IRC "Chat" channel is meant to be a relaxed place, it's not necessary for conversations to be on topic, correct grammar and punctuation is not as necessary as in the fora (but try to remain comprehensible please), quoting isn't necessary, and one liners are fine.
      2) All other fora rules remain in effect in the IRC Chat Channel.
      3) Colored text is frowned upon. Please stick to black, to reduce clutter.
  3. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute.
  4. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
  5. Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.
  6. Do not excessively quote. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part.
  7. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
  8. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, private message Christopher Macdonald (Tempest) and/or click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating" - If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.
  9. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Fora! ANN's non-subscriber fora are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. With the exception of the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum (see rules here), users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Commerce is allowed in the Retail Fora! However, in the regular Retail Forum commerce is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell DVDs in the regular retail forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #10 will be removed and their URLs banned (see Rule #12).
  10. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.
    cookie wrote:
    And, a mini-Editorial on the matter:
    In general, no file may be requested on ANN in any way (including via Private Message), unless that file has been specifically distributed BY the company owning it for purposes of internet propagation.
  11. While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.
  12. This forum has banned a number of URLs to known bootlegging websites. If a user posts an URL that displays as [This URL is a Known Bootlegging website], or a similar warning message, the user may not evade the censor. Users that evade the censor may be punished.
  13. Use the search engine and read the site. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
  14. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why... Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. While the answers may be obvious to you (because you're such a knowledgeable and intelligent person) they might not be quite so obvious to those that are less versed in the ways of Anime. Even if you think it's just common sense and that the questioner is lacking it, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.
  15. Necroposting is discussed here.
  16. What to do if you've been banned[/color]

[Privacy Statement]
The information you enter during your registration is stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent we cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempts that may lead to the data being compromised. If data entered is requested by law authorities, we will comply fully with their request.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any information about you, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure by saving your forum settings. Your email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one). Your IP address will be logged with each post but will only be viewable to administrators and moderators.

Concluding Statements:
If you think something is unfair, private message Tempest and explain the situation. We will consider the complaint as fairly as we are capable of doing.

Read the above rules carefully. If you break them soon after registering you will be banned. We tolerate mistakes, but we do not tolerate users not reading the rules.

Last edited by nobahn on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is "fora" really the accurate term? I don't know, I've never seen them referred to as "fora" before and it just doesn't sound/look right to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it on xkcd's, but it's certainly not common.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Is "fora" really the accurate term?

It is accurate but I believe that "forums" is the preferred English plural now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Here is a question: Which is the correct spelling? "tempest", or "Tempest"?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

At the risk of sounding condensing here (which isn't my intention at all) I learned in grade school that you should capitalize the first letter of a person, business or otherwise in most cases. Obviously at the start of any sentence you should capitalize any word, but with names and businesses, you should always capitalize their names.

As for the rules, there is a instance some people might not know what "fora" means and therefore, I think the term forum should be used instead. Frankly Nbahn, with all due respect, I initially thought you made up that term and only until I researched this term did I know this actually existed.

But I am not sure switching between forum and fora as for example in rule 9 is also such a good idea for new members and existing members. This could provide some confusion for some as well.

Also as in the case of example 8
nbahn wrote:
Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.

I am slightly confused on later part of that sentence, the portion that reads "fill out the accompanying form." Exactly what is a accompanying form?

Also, with example 2, I agree with Tempest's original statement of limited colored text, but wouldn't this be a stark contradiction if the rules themselves were written in a text color other than standardized black color.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
If you click on the red-exclamation mark that is on the top right of every posting, then you are given a comment field that you can -- and should! -- place an explanation for your reason for flagging the posting.

As far as capitalizing proper nouns is concerned; I do not believe that our login names count as a proper noun. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! Mr. Green

I am very weak at grammar; I may well be wrong! Sad Crying or Very sad

EDIT:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
[...]Also, with example 2, I agree with Tempest's original statement of limited colored text, but wouldn't this be a stark contradiction if the rules themselves were written in a text color other than standardized black color.
The text that you are referring to is simply a draft; the text, if approved, is the first posting of this thread. The red -- and strikeouts -- simply show the changes that I am proposing to the original "Teh Rules".

EDIT#2:
It seems to me that the last two lines should just go. Do people really get banned for violating that rule? I do not think so!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But I am not sure switching between forum and fora as for example in rule 9 is also such a good idea for new members and existing members. This could provide some confusion for some as well.

It's grammatically correct, though. Because in that case, the "forum" refers to a single particular forum, while in the other cases, it is the plural form since it is applied to all of the fora.

As for the overall usage of "fora" instead of "forums", while the later term is more instantly recognizable, the context makes it clear enough what the former means, and people can pretty easily look it up; this is the internet, after all.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

I believe you are referring to "capitalization." Both are spelled correctly. A lowercase "tempest" does exist, and it could be argued that stylizing a name allows for it to be correct, such as in the case of abingdon boys school.

Last edited by Rhyono on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2