• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - ANTI-PIRACY HYSTERIA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Actually yes. Yes it does. To take a very comparable niche market to anime just take British Television programming, especially BBC stuff. Generally the prices are roughly in line with anime prices, both of which are a little higher than domestic releases but not by much.

Yeah, what language were those created in, precisely?

Quote:

You also see the same thing in gaming. The niche Japanese titles from Atlus and NIS sell for the same price as the CODs and Halos.

Not actually an equivalent comparison.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Only to generate another Whaaa-fest ~ "its a day before they see it in Nogoya but over twelve hours after they see it in Tokyo!!" ~ "its only available in 480p / 720p / the 1080p is bit-rate limited!" ~ "two series I wanted to see did not get a streaming license!1!".

Some of those are legitimate complaints, and if streaming services want to draw people away from fansubs, they need to compete on two levels: Quality and Speed.

And for better or for worse, speed really is the most important one.

Answering in reverse order ...

(2) You must mean "draw people almost entirely away from fansubs". From hits on bootlegs of licensed versus unlicensed series, clearly streaming services are drawing a large portion of the audience away from fansubs, even when they are {shock, horror!!!} eighteen or thirty six whole hours after the debut free to air premiere.

And (1) no, when the simulcast is a day or two after the lead free to air broadcast, and well before all the regional free to air broadcasts have been completed, let alone when it hits BS-11 or similar ... then the speed is certainly not a "legitimate" complaint: its one of those entitled spoiled brat complaints.

The reason that those brats will eventually be pandered, if the simulcast revenue stream ever grows large enough to make it worth while doing so, is because a dependable proportion of the audience will be spoiled brat anime hobbyists, so there is some (likely double digit percentage) proportion of the potential audience that pandering to the entitled spoiled brats will drag into the actual commercial market.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
If you have paid for a Crunchyroll subscription then of course you have a legitimate reason to be pissed if a program is delayed or if it doesn't have good subs. After all, you're paying, so you have a right to get things fast and in respectable quality.

If fansubs are faster than an official stream where people can pay to watch then why the heck would you want to go with official subs?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
[Answering in reverse order ...

(2) You must mean "draw people almost entirely away from fansubs". From hits on bootlegs of licensed versus unlicensed series, clearly streaming services are drawing a large portion of the audience away from fansubs, even when they are {shock, horror!!!} eighteen or thirty six whole hours after the debut free to air premiere.

I'm not seeing your point.

Simulcasts are competing against a free (though illegal) competitor that is far more entrenched in the zeitgeist and still seen as the "best" way to watch anime by more than a few people.

The best way for simulcasts to compete is speed, because unlike fansubs they literally can be SIMULTANEOUS with the JP airing. Even the fastest fansubs will take at least a few hours to come out, and very few shows reliably get subs that fast.

Since at this point the video quality is basically identical, speed is the main and best determining factor.

Quote:
And (1) no, when the simulcast is a day or two after the lead free to air broadcast, and well before all the regional free to air broadcasts have been completed, let alone when it hits BS-11 or similar ... then the speed is certainly not a "legitimate" complaint: its one of those entitled spoiled brat complaints.

Meaningless blather.

Quote:
The reason that those brats will eventually be pandered,

Those "brats" are the target audience. If they want people to move to streaming instead of fansubs, they need to make the streaming more appealing. Period.

You cannot just ignore fansubs and blithely dismiss their effect by calling the people who use them "brats"
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to delaycasts, I see little reason waiting a couple days for Crunchy to put a show up when I can watch it with alternative methods. Call me an "entitled brat" if you want, but thats how society is these days... theres no reason for us to wait for something if we can get it now. Especially as a paying customer, you need to demand the best service, and just accepting delaycasts and giving them hits anyway is just detrimental to the service.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
When it comes to delaycasts, I see little reason waiting a couple days for Crunchy to put a show up when I can watch it with alternative methods. Call me an "entitled brat" if you want, ...

With pleasure. ....I'm kidding.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Except that when compared to domestic releases of TV shows and the like, it's still expensive. It's called pricing for market conditions.

Are you sure that holds true for all domestic US DVD releases that are as niche as anime? Or are you comparing mainstream market to niche market and discovering {shock! horror!!} that pricing for different market conditions in the US (niche and mainstream) is different!

Actually yes. Yes it does.

Yes it does? Hold true that anime is priced "out of line with US market conditions"?

Quote:
To take a very comparable niche market to anime just take British Television programming, especially BBC stuff. Generally the prices are roughly in line with anime prices, both of which are a little higher than domestic releases but not by much.

Well, there you go, $95 for Dr. Who Season 2, 645minutes. That's about double a single-season series ... with a first release MSRP of around $60, so an actual price of around $45-$50 on release.

RyanSaotome wrote:
... Especially as a paying customer, you need to demand the best service, and just accepting delaycasts and giving them hits anyway is just detrimental to the service.

Its one thing to own your brattiness and proclaim that you don't care about the consequences of your actions. Its another thing to try to fabricate a nonsense argument out of magical thinking and try to pass it off in the forum.

It only takes a slightest exposure to the economics of the situation to understand that part of how the streaming simulcasts get granted, given their current extremely small gross revenue and almost non-existent net revenue, are the statistics that show the drop off in bootleg downloads of licensed series versus unlicensed series, combined with the prospect they offer of better revenues in the medium term future, given their headlong rates of growth in viewership over the past three years.

Watching a "delaycast" on a legit site instead of watching a bootleg makes it easier for the legit site to get better terms in the future. Downloading a bootleg instead of watching a "delaycast" on a legit site makes it harder for the legit site to get better terms in the future.

Person by person its not a big impact, of course, which is why the existence of a likely double digit percentage of entitled spoiled brats in the prospective audience will slow things down but is not necessarily an insuperable obstacle. Given those who can't be bothered with the nuisance of a torrent download when it will just be there without any effort in another day or two, those who wish to support the creators, those who just watch something else until the simulcast comes on, those who aren't set up to torrent download and can't stand the crappy video quality of leech streaming ...
... those who "have to see the anime as early as possible" seem sure to be one more minority among the rest.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
For some speed is not the only nor the main reason when choosing where / how to watch animes. "Best service" does not have to mean "fastest", but can also include things like best translation ("speed translations" can be pretty bad), quality and, obviously, legality (respect / authorization of the original creators etc). What you attach importance to completely depends on the person.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
For some speed is not the only nor the main reason when choosing where / how to watch animes. "Best service" does not have to mean "fastest", but can also include things like best translation ("speed translations" can be pretty bad), quality and, obviously, legality (respect / authorization of the original creators etc). What you attach importance to completely depends on the person.

Thats true. For something like Steins;Gate, Crunchy had it out first, but the banding issues were so bad and its translation was subpar that I just had to wait for a higher quality version. Generally though, Crunchy is good enough if it releases on time.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
What you attach importance to completely depends on the person.

We're not talking some individual person, we're talking what the community as a whole deems important, and that is speed.

No, this is not idea, that does not however not make it true.

(just to make something clear, just because YOU or I value some other aspect does not alter the fact that the generalization holds. Look at how many people download Hadena's "translations")
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I'm not seeing your point.

Simulcasts are competing against a free (though illegal) competitor that is far more entrenched in the zeitgeist and still seen as the "best" way to watch anime by more than a few people.

Crunchyroll when it went legit hit break even in under two years, and has seen doubling in subscriptions on an annual basis.

If its struggling against something that is "entrenched in the zeitgeist" and still seen as the "best" way to watch anime by a sufficiently large share of the prospective audience to hamper its growth ... we have no indication that its showing it as of yet.

Quote:
The best way for simulcasts to compete is speed, because unlike fansubs they literally can be SIMULTANEOUS with the JP airing. Even the fastest fansubs will take at least a few hours to come out, and very few shows reliably get subs that fast.

How can you say it is the "best" way without comparing with the other ways streaming can compete with bootlegs? You are jumping from "one way to", straight to "the best way to", without actually bothering to compare it to the other ways that it can compete.

Device support is one. Convenience is one. Speed is one. Another is freedom to advertise in places that pirate sites can not get a look in

Speed can't possibly be the one and only thing, since Crunchyroll still gets free ad-streaming views. even though the free ad-streaming views are from those who typically do not get access to the series until a week after the paying members.

Quote:
Since at this point the video quality is basically identical, speed is the main and best determining factor.

As a universal claim, that's absurd.

For some people, the determining factor is being on their Roku (that they may have bought for Netflix or HuluPlus), or their smart TV, or their Android or Apple or WindowsPhone device.

For some people, the determining factor is that it is legitimate: they may be fans in the same sense as the fan of a musical group, who want to support the people who create the works they love.

There's two contradictory examples, when one is sufficient to debunk claim to universality.

Quote:
Quote:

Meaningless blather.

Your inability to follow does not imply that it is meaningless blather.

In this case, an appeal to legitimacy is an appeal to some ethical or moral system under which something is legitimate. The original claim that the complaints are "legitimate" is under a kind of "I want what I want and I want it NOW" ethical system, familiar to parents of three year old children.

However, if they can blankly just assert their ethical system, I can equally well assert mine, and under mine, the moral rights of the creator of an original work is superior to the moral rights of a passive consumer of that work. Under my ethical system, an inability to wait a mere two days seems more like the break down of impulse control that happens in teenage boys before they learn how to cope with a flood of testosterone than what passes muster as a legitimate complaint.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Those "brats" are the target audience.

Only part of the target audience.

With luck, appealing to those other parts of the target audience will lead to a revenue stream large enough that it will be feasible to pander to the "I'll deign to watch it at a legitimate site if and only if that's faster than bootleggers can feasibly get it to me".

Certainly going into debt in order to "meet the demands" of that particularly hard to please portion of the audience risks seeing that portion of the audience invent some other demand that has to be satisfied, and there goes that investment down the drain.

So its safest to cater to the less deliberately difficult prospective market segments first, and hopefully grow the revenue so that the deliberately difficult market segment can be catered to out of already existing revenue streams.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
You cannot just ignore fansubs and blithely dismiss their effect by calling the people who use them "brats"

(1) Nowhere did I "just ignore fansubs and blithely dismiss there effect", so whether or not I could have done that by calling people who use them "brats" is beside the point ...

(2) This second point might be tricky for you to follow.

The reason I say that the behavior strikes me as acting like a spoiled brat ...

... is not in order to try to support some argument ...

... but rather because I view that behavior as behaving like a spoiled brat.

If I was trying to "win an argument", I would not have been quite so honest and forthcoming.

I mean, we aren't talking about a situation like Dennou Coil here, where there was four years between broadcast and its Australian release. Irrespective of whether right or wrong, not "waiting four years", and without any certainty over the first three years whether or not there would be an English language release ... that's categorically different from not waiting a mere two days, when you have high certainty that it will be there when the interminable two day wait is over.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

If its struggling against something that is "entrenched in the zeitgeist" and still seen as the "best" way to watch anime by a sufficiently large share of the prospective audience to hamper its growth ... we have no indication that its showing it as of yet.

I know all of that, but its irrelevant to the point at hand.

Quote:

How can you say it is the "best" way without comparing with the other ways streaming can compete with bootlegs? You are jumping from "one way to", straight to "the best way to", without actually bothering to compare it to the other ways that it can compete.

Device support is one. Convenience is one. Speed is one. Another is freedom to advertise in places that pirate sites can not get a look in

I'm talking about ones that matter to people who view fansubs.

Quote:
Speed can't possibly be the one and only thing, since Crunchyroll still gets free ad-streaming views. even though the free ad-streaming views are from those who typically do not get access to the series until a week after the paying members.

And they aren't the market we're talking about, and they aren't paying, so their influence is incredibly minimal

Quote:

As a universal claim, that's absurd.

No, you're just pretending that I'm not talking about a certain segment of the fanbase, the ones who are most supporting fansubs.

Quote:
There's two contradictory examples, when one is sufficient to debunk claim to universality.

I specifically DID NOT claim universality. Read my parenthetical again!

Quote:

However, if they can blankly just assert their ethical system, I can equally well assert mine, and under mine, the moral rights of the creator of an original work is superior to the moral rights of a passive consumer of that work. Under my ethical system, an inability to wait a mere two days seems more like the break down of impulse control that happens in teenage boys before they learn how to cope with a flood of testosterone than what passes muster as a legitimate complaint.

You don't seem to grasp that just because a show hasn't been subbed doesn't mean there isn't discussion, that people haven't seen it already, that the only reason to want to watch it ASAP is "I want what I want and I want it NOW", which is completely untrue.

How quickly I want to watch a show depends on the show itself and a multitude of other factors. Some shows I'll watch as soon as available (via either CR or other methods, depending) and others I can easily hold off on for a while.

Some shows I'll even watch RAW, Horizon, for example.

And then there is the simple fact that right now a great many shows will have subs, from someone, within 24 hours. The more popular the show, the more likely this is. If streaming wants to compete, they need to be able to beat this.

And this doesn't even get into how CR is the only streaming service actually worth a damn, but thats an entirely separate situation.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
I just want to know how Ahren's afront to sanity has as-yet gone un-checked? Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and then... The Cabin in the Woods? Not Army of Darkness? For shame! This travesty must be avenged!

Won't someone please think of the mini-Ashes?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Meaningless blather.
And he would know. Laughing

I'll mention here that In Japan, all animations of any kind and from anywhere, is called anime. Wink
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'll mention here that In Japan, all animations of any kind and from anywhere, is called anime. Wink

While this is true, its not particularly relevant.

"Anime" as a term is used for categorization.

While sure, you can say that anime are "cartoons" and be 100% correct, its rather meaningless other than as a semantic note and use as low-level trolling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16