• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Genshiken 2 DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Are they going to release a version with a box? I like those. Or don't they do them any more?

But maybe it doesn't matter; I watched one episode of this in fansub, and there were some changes in style I disliked. When Kuchiki span around yelling in joy at something, he got a typical anime sparkly background, and when everyone simultaneously had the same silent thought, it dropped into the screen as giant kanji.

What happened to the naturalism of the direction? This is the last series that should get flourishes like that. The giant kanji thing is especially troubling as it mirrors a particular panel from the manga exactly, where the giant kanji were the sole means of demonstrating that everyone was having the same thought. Does using the idea in the anime imply a failure to understand that the same could be accomplished with the voice acting that comes with anime?

As I said, I’ve only seen the one episode. Someone please tell me they learn to back off on this stuff.

One thing I’m looking forward to is the fact, if I’m not mistaken, that this series ends without adapting the final, more dramatic arc of the manga. I hated that thing.

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
And for those anxious to see the series progress, there's Sasahara's growth into the role of chairman, which sees him for the first time acting enough like a main character to wrest the narrative reins from the immaculately manicured hands of chronic scene-stealer Kasukabe.

One of my favorite jokes from the first season was how Sasahara is seemingly introduced to us as the main character, but then totally fades into the background, as if he were only given a chance to be the main character and couldn't pull it off.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Are they going to release a version with a box? I like those. Or don't they do them any more?

Maybe they'll Litebox it after it's all released. Guess we'll wait and see.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree that probably the biggest appeal of the show is how real it seems. The characters are like people you know, or possibly yourself, and there aren't many totally ridiculous things that would never happen. It might be the only slice of life anime that I feel truly reflects real life. Madarame is a man after my own heart, cutting back on living expenses if need be to pay for anime.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wait this was released? I was just buying some anime the other day why didn't I know?

This show has some of the best opening animation ever in my opinion. I watch it every time because it never fails to be funny. Similar to Excel Saga's "Love Loyalty" I also agree that it's probably the most realistic slice of life I've ever seen. The characters are like people you know. I would probably be the Saki and my best friend the Chika.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
I got this via netflix and I must say that the dub kinda sucks. I mean they seem to have the same VAs but they seem to come off as though they are depressed or something.

I get the feeling that they are just reading their lines and not putting much effort into it. They sound so lethargic compaired to the first series.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
ANN Reviewer Carl Kimlinger wrote:
There are few series that are as character-centered as Genshiken. Even if its second season had no other redeeming qualities whatsoever, it would still be worth watching just to spend a little extra time with the Genshiken crowd.

This line threw me, 'cause "character-centered" seems to be the most common type of anime made. ("Don't you want to spend some more time with the K-ON! girls? Here, buy these character songs and figures...")

zanarkand princess wrote:
Wait this was released?

Hah, yeah, it caught me by surprise, too.
I'd heard it was coming out but wasn't sure when.
I'll definitely be puting in an order soon. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first series, and I'll definetly be picking this one up, but are the OVAs worth getting, even though I don't really want Kujibiki Unbalance?
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I gotta wait on the Boxset I don't buy Singles. But I'am looking forward to this!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Funny, I seen to remember when s2 started people praising the much better animation and lack of off-model character art....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I really enjoyed the first series, and I'll definetly be picking this one up, but are the OVAs worth getting, even though I don't really want Kujibiki Unbalance?

"Buy now, think later." —Harunobu Madarame
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Yes; they contain critical plot material (the introduction of Ogiue) and one of the funniest moments in the series.
bluegreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Yes; they contain critical plot material (the introduction of Ogiue) and one of the funniest moments in the series.
This would be the case. its a shame that they didn't just release the Genshiken OVA separate from kujibiki. Its pretty critical to the overall story and Ogiue is one of the best anime characters ever, so its important to see her introduction lol
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Yes.

Even if you do not like Kujibiki, the first Genshiken ova is priceless.
Kujibiki is underated as satire in my view. I have not seen it subbed, but the dub was so straight, something may have been lost. There are so many anime tropes exhibited and skewered. Sisterly incest, overpoweringly strong school council, childhood friend/love interest, Mech, etc.

I did love the comparisons of the openings for Kujibiki vs the OVAs, almost parallel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1