• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Popularity Contests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

If you have an objection to the widely held interpretation of the ending (which is basically the same one Zac has, because its not that complicated) you need to actually put your interpretation up, and not just complain that no one is explaining it well.

I have put my interpretation up, many times. Here it is, extra special just for you. In a nut shell, the ending was "spoiler[We have decided to wrap everything up neatly with Madoka using her wish to become a god and right all wrongs through out history, thereby conveniently eliminating the vast majority of the tragedy associated with becoming a magical girl which we have carefully cultivated through out all of the previous episodes. We did this because, at the end of the day, magical girl shows are supposed to be about love and hope conquering all evils and despair. Thus, Madoka becomes a god of hope and love, and makes almost everything right in the universe for all magical girls. But before the show's over, we'll have a few characters give a sentimental speech about how Madoka's loving gift to us all is the most special and selfless act that a sentient being can possibly take. (Hooray for super sentimental exposition in Anime.)]" There's my interpretation. Sarcastic? Yes, but honestly, I'm tired of hyper sentimental speeches in anime series and I really think the creators of Madoka just couldn't bring themselves to have a hard, edgy ending to the show... a punch in the gut to the audience or at least something more tragic like, for example, in Cowboy Beebop.

P.S. I even gave an example in the review response of what I would have thought would have been a more intriguing ending - Madoka using her wish to do something to Kyuubey. My example was, make him have human emotions. It would have been quite interesting to see the impact that would have had on him and his race. Would he have been able to continue with his ends justifies the means, detached harvesting of magical girls agenda, or would he have suddenly realized how evil he was and changed his ways for the future. Would have likely set up the second season quite nicely too (assuming that is in production now.) I'm sure there are many other ways that the ending could have been a lot more creative than just spoiler[Madoka becomes a god and saves us all].

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
...and I really think the creators of Madoka just couldn't bring themselves to have a hard, edgy ending to the show... a punch in the gut to the audience or at least something more tragic like, for example, in Cowboy Beebop.

Then you didn't pay attention to the ending. spoiler[Madoka could not bring Sayaka back to life, Magical Girls still die in battle or from despair, and the Earth is still plagued with monsters. In fact, Madoka arguably made things worse, because the new system is vastly inferior to the old one at giving Kyubey his quota of energy, meaning the entire universe is in slightly more danger now.]

I'll repost this:

To those poor souls who need their hands held to understand the ending, please read this guide. All of it. And then shut about how the ending sucks. Moaning that you can't understand the ending doesn't mean it is confusing or badly written; it just means you didn't pay enough attention.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
...and I really think the creators of Madoka just couldn't bring themselves to have a hard, edgy ending to the show... a punch in the gut to the audience or at least something more tragic like, for example, in Cowboy Beebop.

Then you didn't pay attention to the ending. spoiler[Madoka could not bring Sayaka back to life, Magical Girls still die in battle or from despair, and the Earth is still plagued with monsters. In fact, Madoka arguably made things worse, because the new system is vastly inferior to the old one at giving Kyubey his quota of energy, meaning the entire universe is in slightly more danger now.]

I'll repost this:

To those poor souls who need their hands held to understand the ending, please read this guide. All of it. And then shut about how the ending sucks. Moaning that you can't understand the ending doesn't mean it is confusing or badly written; it just means you didn't pay enough attention.

Not sure if the spoiler tags are necessary at this point but i'll use them.

I've already read the guide, twice. It appears to consist of two things: (1) straightforward explanations of functional changes to the magical girl system and certain events which occurred after Madoka's finale, and (2) more of the vacuous language I was complaining about on page 1.

For example "With Madoka now in control, she executes her plan... Essentially, she now exists in a new dimension so she is omnipresent." This has no meaning. The author is just throwing a bunch of jargon out about omnipresence and new dimensions in order to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Also, the author seems so proud of himself for noting that Madoka's wish was tospoiler[ erase witches with "her own hands,"] and seems to believe that that would stop the wish from being contorted in any way. However, spoiler[if Kyuubey granted her wish by making her into some kind of puppet and carried out the wish himself, pulling the strings so that her hands were making it happen, it seems like her wish could still be abused in some way.] It's not foolproof.

I'm not going to go through all the flaws in the article, but yes, I have read it and although I appreciate the author's dedication to the Madoka fan base, he doesn't have all the answers.

As for what you are saying about spoiler[Magical Girls still dying in battle? That's great, only its the same thing that would happen in any other magical girl show. The big distinction of Madoka from other magical girl shows was that it twisted the concept of becoming a magical girl into some kind of harvesting system, where the supposed cute little cuddly mascot is actually an ammoral mastermind who's used countless magical girls as batteries to power his agenda, and left them as horrifying monsters once he's done.] That's been eliminated. Sure, there is still conflict in the Madoka universe, but it is conflict which is in line with any other magical girl show you'd watch. They all involve danger, even life threatening danger. Also, if you have watched Sailor Moon, you would also see that the whole "protagonist becomes a deified being and resets the universe, saving the day" angle is old hat. That's really what i'm referring to when I talk about Madoka saving us all with her sacrifice. Yes, there are some comrades who still end up dying, but her re-set did bring them back and give them another chance so to speak. Similarly, after the Sailor Moon reset, the main characters are all saved and come back to have another chance, and new threats surface for them to deal with. They even have their memories erased if I recall correctly. This is all par for the course.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I have put my interpretation up, many times. Here it is, extra special just for you. In a nut shell, the ending was "spoiler[We have decided to wrap everything up neatly with Madoka using her wish to become a god and right all wrongs through out history, thereby conveniently eliminating the vast majority of the tragedy associated with becoming a magical girl which we have carefully cultivated through out all of the previous episodes. We did this because, at the end of the day, magical girl shows are supposed to be about love and hope conquering all evils and despair. Thus, Madoka becomes a god of hope and love, and makes almost everything right in the universe for all magical girls. But before the show's over, we'll have a few characters give a sentimental speech about how Madoka's loving gift to us all is the most special and selfless act that a sentient being can possibly take. (Hooray for super sentimental exposition in Anime.)]" There's my interpretation. Sarcastic? Yes, but honestly, I'm tired of hyper sentimental speeches in anime series and I really think the creators of Madoka just couldn't bring themselves to have a hard, edgy ending to the show... a punch in the gut to the audience or at least something more tragic like, for example, in Cowboy Beebop.

Well, yes. If you completely ignore what actually happened, and pretend that the ending was something entirely different from what happened, I can see why you would be confused.

As to the completely asinine point about Cowboy Bebop, you are falling into the (depressingly common) trap of assuming that only a "tragedy" is truly worthy of praise. And its not like Madoka's ending is all sunshine and rainbows!

spoiler[As DTM says, the new system is not perfect. Magical Girls still exchange their souls for a single wish. They still fight, they still die, either due to exhausting their power in battle, or falling into despair. What is different is that it is no longer all in vain. No longer do Magical Girls become the very creatures they are fighting. The universe now tips, very slightly, towards hope. The Magical Girls who fight and die now no longer do it in vain, and at the end of their lives, however it comes, their soul will be taken by Madoka to be in peace.

She did not eliminate injustice, she did not right any wrongs, all she did was make a cruel system a bit less cruel, and a bit more fair. The cup of the universe is now half full, instead of half empty.

She did this by sacrificing her very existence in the world, leaving behind only a single person who knew she existed. The girl who loved her more than life herself is now the only person who remember she existed. Homura lives with this knowledge, carried along only by her promise to protect Madoka's universe, and the hope that one day, when she finally falls in battle, she will be reunited with Madoka.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Inuyasha, aside from its near-endless television run, had a mix of characters that attracted a larger audience. I don't think that Ranma had either.

The sheer amount of exposure Inuyasha got over such a long period of regular television airings, really helped it to grow a fanbase. I guess you could point to Inuyasha as the show that grew much of the female fandom in North America. The wider the audience, the greater the popularity. Ranma is, arguably, a harem shonen, and was on the scene before the boom, when the fandom was mostly male. Not much of a TV presence either.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

As for what you are saying about spoiler[Magical Girls still dying in battle? That's great, only its the same thing that would happen in any other magical girl show. The big distinction of Madoka from other magical girl shows was that it twisted the concept of becoming a magical girl into some kind of harvesting system, where the supposed cute little cuddly mascot is actually an ammoral mastermind who's used countless magical girls as batteries to power his agenda, and left them as horrifying monsters once he's done.]

Your desire for "revenge" against the Incubators would have led to a far, far more asspull of an ending.

Yes, the Incubators are ammoral, but by that same sense, they aren't "immoral". The system as it existed was the best available, so they used it. When spoiler[Madoka changed the universe, the best possible system was different, so they use it. They weren't torturing magical girls because they enjoyed it, they did it because it was efficient.

So yes, Madoka did remove the core twist of the series. Thats sorta the entire goddamn point of her wish.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else here finding the redundant Madoka debate boring and off-topic?

I thought the Answerman feature about it focused on critical review, but the discussion here is about the show's ending.

Wouldn't the Madoka thread in the anime forum be a better place for this discussion?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

spoiler[She did not eliminate injustice, she did not right any wrongs, all she did was make a cruel system a bit less cruel, and a bit more fair. The cup of the universe is now half full, instead of half empty.

She did this by sacrificing her very existence in the world, leaving behind only a single person who knew she existed. The girl who loved her more than life herself is now the only person who remember she existed. Homura lives with this knowledge, carried along only by her promise to protect Madoka's universe, and the hope that one day, when she finally falls in battle, she will be reunited with Madoka.]

I don't know about you but I would say that making it so that spoiler[magical girls no longer transform into hideous monsters ala Claymore is a PRETTY BIG wrong that she righted. (Again, I can't help but wonder how much Madoka was influenced by Claymore).]

spoiler[Also, the whole sacrificing her existence thing is not quite logical. The guide you guys point to states that she sacrificed her existence because of the time paradox created by traveling into the future to kill her own witch. However, the time paradox doesn't occur until the future, so she doesn't have to cease to exist until the future comes. Since she constantly exists in the present, the time paradox never really comes to fruition.] This is why time paradoxes usually involve changes to the past rather than changes to the future, because a change to the past can influence the present, whereas a change to the future technically cannot.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Anyone else here finding the redundant Madoka debate boring and off-topic?

I thought the Answerman feature about it focused on critical review, but the discussion here is about the show's ending.

Wouldn't the Madoka thread in the anime forum be a better place for this discussion?

Well the discussion started on the critical review, but then people wanted to debate whether or not criticism of the review was warranted given evidence existing or not existing in the show, so here we are.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I don't know about you but I would say that making it so that spoiler[magical girls no longer transform into hideous monsters ala Claymore is a PRETTY BIG wrong that she righted. (Again, I can't help but wonder how much Madoka was influenced by Claymore).]

Ok, thats ONE injustice. You made it sound like she made history into sweetness and light. Stop moving goalposts.

Quote:
spoiler[Also, the whole sacrificing her existence thing is not quite logical. The guide you guys point to states that she sacrificed her existence because of the time paradox created by traveling into the future to kill her own witch. However, the time paradox doesn't occur until the future, so she doesn't have to cease to exist until the future comes. Since she constantly exists in the present, the time paradox never really comes to fruition.] This is why time paradoxes usually involve changes to the past rather than changes to the future, because a change to the past can influence the present, whereas a change to the future technically cannot.

spoiler[Madoka transcended the concept of linear time. When Ultimate Madoka Destroyed Kriemhild Gretchen (which occurred at every point in time and at no point in time) she paradoxed herself into becoming a concept.]

This is also entirely secondary to the actual point, and focusing heavily on it is a great way to divert the argument. So cut it out.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

spoiler[Madoka transcended the concept of linear time. When Ultimate Madoka Destroyed Kriemhild Gretchen (which occurred at every point in time and at no point in time) she paradoxed herself into becoming a concept.]

This is also entirely secondary to the actual point, and focusing heavily on it is a great way to divert the argument. So cut it out.

See you are using the same trick I was complaining about! You make reference to a contrived term "ultimate Madoka" and say something which is not some factual, concrete concept "she paradoxed herself" and use that as the explanation for how it all works. -grrrrr-

Ok. I still don't think this makes the whole time paradox thing work though.spoiler[ There's no real reason for Kriemhild Gretchen to occur at every point in time and at no point in time. That sounds like just another contrived concept. If Madoka needed to collect all of the despair from all magical girls, past present and future, it logically makes sense that the Kriemhild Gretchen would only occur once she was finished. Thus, it would only appear at one time, i.e. the time when she cleansed the last grief seed. Logically, this would occur in the future because it would be counterproductive to work your way back from the future to the past. As I said before, changes you made in the future would not affect the past/present, and changes you made in the past could affect the present/future. Thus you would work your way from the past to the present to the future in order to be thorough. As a result, Kriemhild Gretchen would occur in the future, and there would be no time paradox.]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Ok. I still don't think this makes the whole time paradox thing work though.spoiler[ There's no real reason for Kriemhild Gretchen to occur at every point in time and at no point in time. That sounds like just another contrived concept. If Madoka needed to collect all of the despair from all magical girls, past present and future, it logically makes sense that the Kriemhild Gretchen would only occur once she was finished. Thus, it would only appear at one time, i.e. the time when she cleansed the last grief seed. Logically, this would occur in the future because it would be counterproductive to work your way back from the future to the past. As I said before, changes you made in the future would not affect the past/present, and changes you made in the past could affect the present/future. Thus you would work your way from the past to the present to the future in order to be thorough. As a result, Kriemhild Gretchen would occur in the future, and there would be no time paradox.]

spoiler[Watch the sequence of events in the final episode again. The paradox is that Ultimate Madoka (which is not a contrived term, thats the official name for the form Madoka took when she destroyed Kriemhild Gretchen) and Kriemhild Gretchen CAN'T exist at the same time, since they are, in fact, the same person. Kaname Madoka.

What Madoka did cannot be explained logically, since what she did is impossible under a concept of linear time. That was the genius of her wish, even if she didn't know precisely how it would work out.

We can argue the minutiea of how precisely Madoka's wish worked, and how it relates to the concept of linear time, but its ultimately irrelevant to what actually happened, and is not the objection you originally had anyway.]
Quite literally it happened due to magic.

Let me quote something, its from a fanfic, but it sums up the conundrum you've walked into quite nicely:

Quote:
"No one really understands the intricacies of a magical girl wish. There are unanswered questions everywhere you look. For example, there are no known length or linguistic constraints on how a wish is given, but, according to the Incubators, no recorded wish has ever attempted to string seven "and" clauses together, or presented the Incubator with a page's worth of verbiage. It just doesn't happen."

"Similarly, despite the Incubators' insistences that 'any wish is possible', nearly all wishes are relatively tame. The grandest recorded wishes regard the fate of nations, or of certain aspects of the human condition. Grandiose, but it is possible to imagine much more."

"The nature of the seeming reality distortion behind a wish is also quite vague. Some wishes generate obvious miracles, but others seem to generate nothing at all. What is always the case, however, is that what is wished for always becomes true. Period. No exceptions. The most disturbing cases are those where what is wished for turns out to have always been true. It raises the possibility that the most powerful wishes are the ones we don't know about."

"Some have suggested that, ultimately, the safety of humanity is unassailable, grounded within the types of wishes that require humanity's survival, however tangentially. We will see…"

—"What is a wish, really?", blog post, MSY "Theban" community blogging platform.

-To the Stars chapter 16 "The Light in the Sky", Hieronym

The bolded passage is the most important, and the most relevant to spoiler[Madoka's wish. What happened between the moment Madoka made her wish, and when Homura found herself holding the ribbons, after Sayaka's death, is irrelevant. The entire point is that the universe changed itself to accommodate her wish, making it so that was the way things had always worked, forward and backwards through time. Its really quite profound, and incredibly creative of a wish to make.]
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Just recently finished Haibane Renmei, and I agree that it was a really great series. It's sad that there probably won't be a series like it again.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Going back to the question of American companies co-producing anime, who cares? Anime does not have to subscribe to Western themes to be great and appreciated by audiences in this part of the world. I also think it is kind of silly to say that anime has become too Japanese.

It's not a necessity, but it can't hurt. Anything that allows anime to become more creative, diverse and to get more budget is a good thing.

If you look a the article's list of examples of animes that ADV was involved with, it's really not a matter of "japanese vs western". There are lots of good series on it, others that are not as good (imho), but overall it's very diverse genre- and content-wise.

angelmcazares wrote:
Plenty of amazing anime has come in the last 5 years and if you are not enjoying it because it is too Japanese, you are missing lots of great stuff.

Depends on your tastes. I can think of some good shows, but not many "amazing" ones. There certainly haven't been "plenty" of new "Kino's Journey"s for me (and Guardian of the Spirit, Bokurano and Denno Coil from 2007 only qualify as "last 5 years" for another 2 months). So I can see where the person asking the question is coming from (even though for me it's not a matter of being "too japanese").
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
There have been plenty of amazing shows in the last 5 years IMO.

Fate/Zero
K-On
Clannad
Gintama
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Code Geass R2
Soul Eater
Fairy Tail
Idolm@ster
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7