• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Popotan DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
What's with Sentai and using new (and, it has to be said, crap) logos for these series?

Kinda glad I got this way back in the day.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:

well it's kinda hard to be off-base on a opinion Laughing but who knows this maybe one of those cases where I might disagree with him as well as I've seen an unusually large amount of scorn for this series and it's not just from the typical "It hate fanservice" crowd. At the same time it's not like the series failed in any categories (unless C is failing?) of this review so it's not like it's not worth a glimpse at least

I would seriously watch the openings for the games at least before I brought this. In my opinion the story isn't nearly enough to offset the amount of uncomfortableness, unless you're into that kind of thing in which case go ahead and pick it up.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:

I would seriously watch the openings for the games at least before I brought this. In my opinion the story isn't nearly enough to offset the amount of uncomfortableness, unless you're into that kind of thing in which case go ahead and pick it up.

Just watched the OP and it doesn't seem that bad to me. While I particularly like fanservice that uses loli characters, I don't care for it either, I've seen far far worse to be made uncomfortable by little girls panties or nipples, So I'm still set on purchasing it. As long as the green haired girl get her share it's all good.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
What's with Sentai and using new (and, it has to be said, crap) logos for these series?

It's not just Sentai; ADV had that problem, too. Remember the first Princess Tutu box set? Thank goodness they released a new one that wouldn't make me ashamed to have it on my shelf.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

It's not just Sentai; ADV had that problem, too. Remember the first Princess Tutu box set? Thank goodness they released a new one that wouldn't make me ashamed to have it on my shelf.

Yes, I know the one you mean. But Popotan already had a perfectly good logo, ditto for stuff like Kannazuki no Miko.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
K.o.R wrote:

Isn't the first princess tutu box set the one w/ Rue on the front in the cage? I think that's the best image to portray the series more as what it is rather than a little kid show.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
They were talking about the logos, not the cover art itself (although that also failed on some occasions - Utawarerumono volume 1 being one example that springs to mine).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
K.o.R wrote:

Isn't the first princess tutu box set the one w/ Rue on the front in the cage? I think that's the best image to portray the series more as what it is rather than a little kid show.

Best image? She's not the main character, and the image also doesn't acknowledge the connection to ballet. I'm suspiscous it was chosen because it's the only remotely sexy piece of official art.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
K.o.R wrote:

Best image? She's not the main character, and the image also doesn't acknowledge the connection to ballet. I'm suspiscous it was chosen because it's the only remotely sexy piece of official art.

How does her wearing ballet costume (complete w/ tutu) and ballet slippers not acknowledge the connection to ballet? It's pretty obvious ... and Rue is one of the 4 main characters - she just has a more serious look than Duck/Tutu.
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Shows like these must be difficult for girls to stomach watching. For male otaku (especially the ones who own the actual game it's based on), it's a nonstop fap fantasy fest. Honestly, there's more to life than boobies. Not watching it

Seriously, are you perpetuating the myth that only men enjoy fanservice?

I really enjoyed this series back in the day, I found it fun and silly and as a woman, viewing constant boobs did not turn my stomach or put me off. Jeez, if seeing boobs freaked me out how would I cope with the ones I own?

I've played the H-game and found it superior to the series, I still have the OP on my iPod all these years later as I found it to be addictive.

Fair game for the reviewer pointing out that there's nudity and it's a plus for those who like that sort of thing. In the end, the series to be seriously lacking and badly thought out but for fluff, some time filled with nothing more than visuals. It's not all that bad.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
alpha_beta_angel wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Shows like these must be difficult for girls to stomach watching. For male otaku (especially the ones who own the actual game it's based on), it's a nonstop fap fantasy fest. Honestly, there's more to life than boobies. Not watching it

Seriously, are you perpetuating the myth that only men enjoy fanservice?

I really enjoyed this series back in the day, I found it fun and silly and as a woman, viewing constant boobs did not turn my stomach or put me off. Jeez, if seeing boobs freaked me out how would I cope with the ones I own?

I've played the H-game and found it superior to the series, I still have the OP on my iPod all these years later as I found it to be addictive.

Fair game for the reviewer pointing out that there's nudity and it's a plus for those who like that sort of thing. In the end, the series to be seriously lacking and badly thought out but for fluff, some time filled with nothing more than visuals. It's not all that bad.

While I on the other hand find this show absolutely disgusting, so you know every woman is different.
Hayami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
There is a way to understand the universe with one's mind and there's a way to understand it with one's heart. Or may be just become one with it, to lose oneself / vanish in it. I wouldn't recommend this show to these who are interested mainly in the former. It's true that not much happens in this anime. Imo its main merit is comparable to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou's one, even though the latter OAV has no fanservice. There's no point to watch Popotan if you aren't overwhelmed by the magic of forms, colors and sound, if you don't feel like in a dream you don't want to wake up from. And sure I mean a dream that captures you mainly not due to its erotic content but rather due to it's beauty/cuteness and tranquility.

Hopefully the most readers of Key's review will not discard this show right away and check some other reviews out there (for example by Matthew, Sandra Dozier and bluemist)

Quote:
The supposedly cute bits at the end of each episode where pet ferret Unagi turns into a girl to do the Next Episode lines do not help.

Just so people know what "supposedly" cute bits you're talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNcVSSkpVc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3