• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Mobile Suit Gundam Z (subtitled)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
well i would not say that much. Compared to SD,Mobile Fighter G and G Saviour. it cant be that bad. People though of the same thing when seed destiny came in but it was fine in my view,also the music was the main core of why seed destiny was popular. Cause of my liking of seed destiny is why i am giving Double Zeta the BOTD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Actually we boosted everyone to HQ mode for this one. But the old grainy stuff is always really hard to compress for streaming. (shrug)
Out of curiosity, what is the bitrate (or Q value if you're using h.264 CRF)? Back-of-the-hand calculation gives a resolution of 645x512 (odd, I'm guessing the player still does some scaling even when you tell it not to?). I'd check myself, but grabbing RTMPE streams is such a chore.

I generally avoid streams, generally because I'm pretty anal about picture quality. I refuse to buy most Funimation DVDs due to their practice of cramming far too many episodes onto a DVD5. Or most of Mangle Ent's catalogue due to abuse of PAL->NTSC->PAL conversion, and some stuff that looks like it was mastered from a VHS tape. Badly. Macross Plus, I'm looking at you here.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Haven't gotten around to watching this on here yet, but can anyone tell me how the subtitling job is? I recently have been watching Glass Mask here and the subtitles are terrible (looks like someone tried guessing what a HK DVD sub was saying; They'd call the same thing two different names in the same sentence, spell people's names wrong, write awkward sentences, etc).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
Haven't gotten around to watching this on here yet, but can anyone tell me how the subtitling job is? I recently have been watching Glass Mask here and the subtitles are terrible (looks like someone tried guessing what a HK DVD sub was saying; They'd call the same thing two different names in the same sentence, spell people's names wrong, write awkward sentences, etc).

The subs are better than the ones that came with the original Zeta boxset, I can say that much, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That's not saying much. The original release of Zeta was a pretty good slap in the face to the fans. But whatever, they fixed it.

Too bad the streams aren't of the recent Blu-ray remasters. The opening looks absolutely stunning in retouched high definition.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
Why are people complaining about the quality of this very old show, I'm surprised it looks this good. You think you'd be a little nicer considering it's free. Anime fans sure are picky.

therealssjlink wrote:

Isn't that Sentai the licensor's fault?
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Why are people complaining about the quality of this very old show, I'm surprised it looks this good.
ANN stream | Blu-Ray screencap
Unfair comparison? Maybe (though I did manage to accidentally choose one of the BDs handful of out-of focus frames). But the old adage is still true: free alone is worth nothing, it must be free and better. And I'm pretty sure I've seen BD rips around.

Last edited by edzieba on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
chrisb wrote:
Why are people complaining about the quality of this very old show, I'm surprised it looks this good.
ANN stream | Blu-Ray screencap
Unfair comparison? Maybe (though I did manage to accidentally choose one of the BDs handful of out-of focus frames). But the old adage is still true: free alone is worth nohting, it must be free and better. And I'm pretty sure I've seen BD rips around.

Ay, all of the BluRay episodes have been fully encoded and subbed. If nothing else, I at least stress downloading the openings just to gander upon their magnificence. They use a higher quality film than the show, so the real beauty of the bluray remaster comes through gloriously. Also, if you could make a comparison from the stream's OP and the BluRay OP, you'd have a pretty damn good idea of the difference.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
edzeiba: I'm not going to tell you my compression settings. Sorry. BTW, passively mentioning that you're capable of breaking my rip protection (RTMPe is encryption) is kind of a jerk move and is not going to win you any favors.

And yes, I think it's pretty clear that streaming flash will look worse than a Blu-ray, especially after the cap of the stream that you take is artificially blown up in a way that looks way worse than standard Flash fullscreen mode. No idea what you were trying to prove with that. If you're expecting some sort of magical world where people can give you brand new 25Mbps 1080p video for free, you've pretty much ensured that your standards are so high that only piracy will satisfy you, and trying is a fool's errand.

Our streams are not intended to replace DVD/BD releases, but to give people something to watch easily. Consumer broadband has its limitations, the source material we get has limitations, and yes, the capabilities of a small company to stream high bitrate video is limited as well. Heck, Flash Player has limitations. That said, we are always striving to ensure the best video quality possible under those limitations. I'm proud of the quality we've been able to accomplish under the circumstances, and am confident that we'll be able to increase quality going forward.

If that's not good enough for you, perhaps our service is not for you and you should look elsewhere. But your passive aggressive comparisons are not appreciated.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
I'm not looking forward to Seed Destiny. Most overrated show ever.

Not to me. Sure it's not as good as it's prequel,but it's still a very good series. It's a hell of a lot better than it's live action movie G Saviour as well as SD Gundam. Though were bad and the one that was overatted was G Gundam. Sure it was a decent series when it showed on Toonami,but its medicocore at best.

Either way i like zeta cause in this one Char wasn't a lunatic unlike in the movie, and the main is a definate anti amuro which was a plus. Hope it's dub version comes out. they should re-release it on DVD but time they should get the rights to the OP and ED

BUT what they should really do is get double zeta dubbed cause for harcdore dubbers like myself, it don't make sense that zeta has one but it's sequel doesn't. Now that i'll be definately looking forward too. Also if they manage to get Gundam X and Turn A Gundam,that too will be a treat.

I hear ya! To me, the CE Gundams were my favorites! In fact, to this day, I STILL don't get how it's despised so much in America! I will give Zeta a try, of course. But the fact that it's a sequel series, makes me a little worried about conitunity...

But I love ANN for giving me a chance to watch, and in a legal method!
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
BTW, passively mentioning that you're capable of breaking my rip protection (RTMPe is encryption) is kind of a jerk move and is not going to win you any favors.
If anything, it was a jab at the futile nature of DRM in general, not a personal attack.
Incidentally, I'd never even heard of RTMPE until 2 days ago. Obscuring the true remote file URL an interesting idea, at least, if an ineffective one.
Quote:
especially after the cap of the stream that you take is artificially blown up in a way that looks way worse than standard Flash fullscreen mode.
Actually, I specifically used the flash player's built-in scaler rather than setting the flash player to native and upscaling it myself.
Quote:
If you're expecting some sort of magical world where people can give you brand new 25Mbps 1080p video for free, you've pretty much ensured that your standards are so high that only piracy will satisfy you [...] Consumer broadband has its limitations [...] the capabilities of a small company to stream high bitrate video is limited as well.
Stage6, may it rest in peace, had no trouble streaming high-resolution high-bitrate video. In a purely technical sense, there are zero barriers to at least high-broadcast-quality HD streams. S3 and similar services are dirt cheap now too, so the start-up costs of a beefy streaming server farm are no longer an absolute barrier.
Quote:
Heck, Flash Player has limitations.
Indubitably. I hope the h.267/vorbis issue can be straightened out soon enough that HTML5 video can render awkward flash video players obsolete.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
If anything, it was a jab at the futile nature of DRM in general, not a personal attack.
Incidentally, I'd never even heard of RTMPE until 2 days ago. Obscuring the true remote file URL an interesting idea, at least, if an ineffective one.

Fair enough. I always inform Japanese partners that everything will be broken eventually, and even AACS lasted merely months before it got successfully broken. But the various protections Flash has built-in at least makes them feel better. I hope that people respect that.

Quote:
Actually, I specifically used the flash player's built-in scaler rather than setting the flash player to native and upscaling it myself.

The screenshot looks like it must have side-stepped the built-in antialiasing that Flash does with the GPU. Actual full-screen playback looks nowhere near that bad.

Quote:
Stage6, may it rest in peace, had no trouble streaming high-resolution high-bitrate video. In a purely technical sense, there are zero barriers to at least high-broadcast-quality HD streams. S3 and similar services are dirt cheap now too, so the start-up costs of a beefy streaming server farm are no longer an absolute barrier.

You bet. We're working on scaling up in this way, but not only are licensors hesitant to stream in HD, but other issues make it a little dicey. We're working on it. Once we achieve something of a critical mass with the amount of video we can pump every month the bandwidth costs will be less of an issue as well.

Quote:
I hope the h.267/vorbis issue can be straightened out soon enough that HTML5 video can render awkward flash video players obsolete.

That would be nice, but HTML5 has no content protection at all, so as pointless as DRM might be (and I hesitate to call it DRM when it's not downloadable) content owners are still going to require it. It's sort of like a door lock. Nobody is going to leave their house unlocked, even though if someone really wants to get in they're not going to stop anybody.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The screenshot looks like it must have side-stepped the built-in antialiasing that Flash does with the GPU. Actual full-screen playback looks nowhere near that bad.
That's odd. I double checked, and I have both the latest version of GPU-accelerated Flash 10 (10,1,51,45) and the latest drivers for my GPU (nvidia 196.21), and the image still appears the same. Occurs with both Firefox and Chrome, so it's probably not a browser-specific bug.
Quote:
That would be nice, but HTML5 has no content protection at all, so as pointless as DRM might be (and I hesitate to call it DRM when it's not downloadable) content owners are still going to require it.
It's a shame really. Everyone uses it because everyone else uses it. Darn the Sunk Cost Fallacy!
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam for the first time ever right now and I'm wondering if I'll be able to finish by the time this goes down. Because I want to see it, but I don't want to watch the sequel before the original. But I want to see it. And...

I AM EMOTIONALLY TORN AAAHH
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I literally just downloaded this show, and now i fell dirty because i can watch it legally. so I've decided to delete it and watch the one here on ANN, besides the version i downloaded had really crappy audio( at least for the Japanese track, hell i think it was mono for christs' sake)

so THANK YOU ANN! not only is the video quality the same as what i downloaded but the audio is good too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4