• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Graphic Novel Sells 66,000 Copies in First Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I'm happy for Yen Press. I mean why not? This means they can bring more manga and manhwa to us. It also draws more people to the graphic novel aisle.

I just hope that people actually buy something from the graphic novel aisle. It irks me when I may be buying used manga. Do people not understand that they are in a book store and not a library? I am cool with it if people read a chapter or two and decide that it is interesting enough to buy. What I can not stand is when people take a bunch of volumes to bring to a secluded spot to read.

So far, the Twilight graphic novel has sold about 18.86% of its 350,000 first printing copies for those of you who are interested.

And so, Twilight and the vampire craze continues to make me lose faith in humanity. But hey, if it makes money, it help outs Yen Press. I look forward to seeing some of their future licenses.

After all, if we forgot, Yen Press has licensed the K-On! manga.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:
Why is this even on this website, seeing as this "graphic novel" is manhwa, which is South Korean comics and completely different? The subject is not even Japan-based, being one of the worst, most commercialized garbage that's ever seen the light of day. What a waste of space.

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

I feel like I've read somewhere before about ANN's policy on how selective it aims to be, but the thing that pops up most in my mind is the whole Avatar: The Last Airbender debate. (How people always seem to want to debate it and ANN has repeatedly said no. Just look at the forums.)
I could probably make the argument that since Avatar is a popular American creation with a live-action film adaptation and cine-manga/graphic novel adaptations published formerly by Tokyopop and Del Rey, both well-known manga publishers, all Avatar news would belong on ANN.
But hey, I just don't make that call. Maybe if the live-action film breaks box office records this summer...

Every so often there are those stories I might call "a stretch" but I guess since the industry's grown and changed so much over the years, everything's becoming more interconnected.

P.S. My personal opinion about Avatar is that it is awesome but does not belong on ANN. Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that this is funding Yen Press' war chest insomuch that they can get up to further nonsense but it's kinda like being funded by Cuthulu or something.
You have your money, but You can't help but feel you've just sold your soul to forces beyond human comprehension.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
Do you guys seriously think the people who read this are going to look into manga, manwha, and others graphic novels? People thought the book would get people to read... it did, but most people who read Twilight as their first novel aren't reading anything else. It did not lead them to other books because none of them are like Twilight, they only wanted Twilight because of the story or because it was a very simple, albeit long, book to read.

I don't even want Twihards in my fandoms, they have enough wank already.

I agree with you there.

May seem good that Yen Press is getting in a lot of revenue, but, this is the wrong story to be getting revenue from. Of course, because it has the name "Twilight" slapped on the book, the Twi-hards are gonna go after it. It all comes down to money. Anime hyper

Now, that may seem normal to any franchise of anything. But, the difference between all those franchises and "Twilight" are so clear that it's just....sad.

(Is the vampire fad almost over? Someone wake me when it does! At least, YP has other titles that make me forget that they even picked this up..)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
When they get to the last book, they should try selling Higurashi in it hard.

I mean the gore content is just about right there.
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
I think the art is very "blech". The lips are...scary, and Bella is even less "ordinary looking" in this than in the movie. Not to mention I dislike Yen Press very much.

However, there is one good thing I can say about it: The pages smell good.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
It's hardly any surprise that I strongly dislike Twilight, what with its horrible and unhealthy messages for girls/teens regarding love, self-respect, relationships, and the like.

Sounds like every shoujo romance ever! It's perfect!

+ 1000000

Twilight is Wuthering Heights compared to Mayu Shinjo's Haou Airen.

Fanboys are so elitists. They whine and whine for a crappy romance book for tweens and at the same time they love crappy romance mangas for lonely men.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
How the hell can ANYBODY say this is good news? Do you all support abuse? I mean seriously come one. All Twilight does is show young girls that abuse is okay. Also just because they bought that doesn't mean they will buy anything else and for the record it isn't a manga since it isn't from Japan.
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
How the hell can ANYBODY say this is good news? Do you all support abuse? I mean seriously come one. All Twilight does is show young girls that abuse is okay. Also just because they bought that doesn't mean they will buy anything else and for the record it isn't a manga since it isn't from Japan.

Please read the other responses before you parrot the other weeaboo responses.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I'm happy for Yen Press. I mean why not? This means they can bring more manga and manhwa to us. It also draws more people to the graphic novel aisle.

I just hope that people actually buy something from the graphic novel aisle. It irks me when I may be buying used manga. Do people not understand that they are in a book store and not a library? I am cool with it if people read a chapter or two and decide that it is interesting enough to buy. What I can not stand is when people take a bunch of volumes to bring to a secluded spot to read.

Oh, I agree 100%. But hey that's a tough one, if the storefronts don't care there is not much else you can do except complain to them or make a scene. How much good that does varies.

But I have something that may raise your hopes. Not too long ago a girl I was pursuing was all into Twilight and vampire novels in general. This was before the Twilight graphic novel of course, but she ended up making her way to the graphic novel aisle when she found out a lot of manga has a lot vampire centric themes. Now she is following (and buying) several of those like Rosario + Vampire, Hellsing, and Vampire Knight. On top of that she started following some manga that were not necessarily vampire related. I know Death Note was one.

So while this info is not directly related to the Twilight Graphic novel, it does give me hope that these will indeed draw in more people to buying manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

You're pretty damn ignorant. Nothing I said had to do with being a weeaboo. But since you said something then I will assume you love abuse. I mean that must be the only reason to support Twilight.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
labantnet wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

You're pretty damn ignorant. Nothing I said had to do with being a weeaboo. But since you said something then I will assume you love abuse. I mean that must be the only reason to support Twilight.

Hahahahaha....uh, no.
What people enjoy in their entertainment does NOT always reflect what they believe in or support, in real life.
Fantasy=/=real life.

Don't make such assumptions.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
labantnet wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

Hahahahaha....uh, no.
What people enjoy in their entertainment does NOT always reflect what they believe in or support, in real life.
Fantasy=/=real life.

Don't make such assumptions.

Blame them for being a complete moron by calling me a weeaboo.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

If you look at just about any male character in any literary story you can find something to fault them for in their personality, and the same goes for the female characters. In this day and age, anything can be considered sexist, and at the right angle something in any relationship can look manipulative. I don't like Bella, and I don't like Edward, but Edward's biggest fault that I can recall was being a bit creepy in the stalker sense and being over protective, with a slight bit of possessiveness. I highly doubt this is going to bring about a new era of domestic abuse like you're insinuating.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

If you look at just about any male character in any literary story you can find something to fault them for in their personality, and the same goes for the female characters. In this day and age, anything can be considered sexist, and at the right angle something in any relationship can look manipulative. I don't like Bella, and I don't like Edward, but Edward's biggest fault that I can recall was being a bit creepy in the stalker sense and being over protective, with a slight bit of possessiveness. I highly doubt this is going to bring about a new era of domestic abuse like you're insinuating.

i agree with that but it DOES send a bad message to young women/girls who have never really been in a real relationship and MIGHT cause them to think an abusive one is normal and ok
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8