• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Diabolical Ruh-minations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
RE: The future of feature anime and Justin's comment that "people are still going to the movies in Japan":

This comment really stuck with me, because it seems to buck a bigger trend that I thought was having a strong impact on the entertainment industry: I thought that with the expansion of HDTV, BD, home theater 3D and like technologies the cinema industry was slowly but surely going the way of commercial radio? Is Japan somehow in exception to the trend? Is anime the exception? Or am I taking too strong a connotation away from a one positive comment?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Businesses need to cater on the current audience before trying to build models targeting ones which do not exist.

You know, this is an extremely thought-provoking comment to me as well and I should thank PetrifiedJello for bringing it up. The novel question it brings to mind is this: Based on the overarching context we're seeing just in the spring preview guide this week, is it possible that like so many other entertainment mediums the phenomenon of narrowcasting is splintering the "current audience" so much that the industry has trouble finding a formula that gets enough people on the airplane to get it off the ground? People get so worked up over tropes and conventions in different subgenres, whether you're talking moe anime or sports anime or Shonen Jump type anime, it seems like it could be a real problem on the supply side?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac: "surprise me that he thinks it's good"

You'd be surprised what Spawn-related crap Todd McFarlane endorses.

"Stan Lee cameos are f**kin' tired"

What about in Ultimo? Wink

"beautiful film"

Seen this AMV? Laughing

RE: Innocence and Ponyo rants. You should look for that English radio transcript where Oshii comments on Ponyo.

Justin: "Madhouse"

Satoshi Kon was recently blogging about how the studio had to downgrade its office buildings.

Brian: RE: New column. Man, I'm surprised you can multi-task so easily.

"Degree in philosophy doesn't qualify you to do anything"

Apparently, the teacher for the one Philosophy class I had to take in college wasn't required to make sense, either. But I still got a C, anyway.

"LA Oshii stuff"

Too bad it's OOP. Crying or Very sad

"Spirited Away just didn't do it for me."

You just can't connect with the character, unless you're also a bored young girl.

"Kon's films bug me in a way I can't describe."

Daryl Surat had a problem with Millennium Actress, and I hated Tokyo Godfathers, and was half-and-half with Paranoia Agent, so you're not entirely alone.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

True on the surface only. While the production itself is planned by one animation studio, large chunks of key animation, checking, and other not-usually-farmed-out-to-Korea work is almost always divided among myriad other animation studios. That's why, say, Gainax will pop up in the credits of a completely unrelated show. So there's a huge trickle-down effect among animation houses that aren't THE animation house that you think of producing the show.

Just for an example from the credits of episode 2 of Heroman. Ostensibly it's done by BONES, but the listing of studios under in-between animation reveals a lot of big names:

Production I.G
Gainax
P.A. Works
Studio 4°C
Studio Pierrot
AIC
Artland
Satelight
ufotable
Buyuu
TYO Animations
M.S.C
Studio Takuranke
Mook Animation
Production Reed
Anime TOROTORO
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
If it is, then there are some really, really stupid people out there who shouldn't be running a streaming business.
Anime's had decades to build its broad audience and yet it still hasn't done so. It would be very foolish to believe this market has any chance of expanding to the same numbers as those who watch House on a weekly basis. Very foolish.

Businesses need to cater on the current audience before trying to build models targeting ones which do not exist.

That's exactly what streaming does. Foolish.

So, if there's no way to grow the audience base, I don't see any way to raise the ad price. So that means more ads per episode, which makes fansubs look like a better alternative (since these still exist for simulcasted shows) or... what, exactly?

If 15,000-20,000 people are needed to view streaming episodes to make streaming or simulcasting even worthwhile, I really don't see how there is a future in streaming at all.

If you can't grow the audience, you can't grow the revenue, and it loses money. Unless corporations are willing to pay extra for spots in the simulcast of Kiss x Sis to compete for that lucrative "moe incest is lulz" demographic? Where does the magic of the digital age suddenly manifest?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's all a problem of perception.

Simulcasting itself doesn't make any money. So?
Even if you literally let people watch them completely for free it wouldn't cost more than 0.1% of an episode's budget.

Would that kill off the old US "cheap DVD box set" model? Probably. But that's where the tried and true Japanese collector's model comes in.

I've been advocating simulcasting as a loss leader with quick (preorder available while airing type speed) international subtitled blu-rays at 50-70% current R2 prices as the future model, and I think it's really the best solution.
It's not dependent on international ad sales (just stick in your own ads for your own merchandise) and it doesn't require outside companies at all, beyond some local localization help (which could be done internally too if they have the talent for it).
The 1% pay for the entertainment of the 99%, and the industry grows by expanding the overall viewership... A small fraction of the new watchers grow up into old buyers and the standard Japanese Otaku cycle is renewed with fresh gaijin blood.

P.S. A couple companies have either been listening to me or had the same idea.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
ANN staff: can you please look into the mp3 download for us. The sound quality is very "crackly" and is difficult to listen to. Thanks.

Yeah sorry, the audio quality is kinda crappy this time; we had some issues with our usual recording equipment and had to rely on something else this time, and the result was not great. We'll have it all fixed up next week though.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I've been advocating simulcasting as a loss leader with quick (preorder available while airing type speed) international subtitled blu-rays at 50-70% current R2 prices as the future model, and I think it's really the best solution.
It's not dependent on international ad sales (just stick in your own ads for your own merchandise) and it doesn't require outside companies at all, beyond some local localization help (which could be done internally too if they have the talent for it).
The 1% pay for the entertainment of the 99%, and the industry grows by expanding the overall viewership... A small fraction of the new watchers grow up into old buyers and the standard Japanese Otaku cycle is renewed with fresh gaijin blood.

I certainly like this idea, because (as you already know) I import. For me it means lower prices and subtitles, and I don't care about dubs. Goodbye R1 (for the most part).

But don't you think it going to be less than well received by those who currently buy US DVD releases and don't import? For them it's a big jump in price with no dub. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and cries of "glorified fansub" already.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I certainly like this idea, because (as you already know) I import. For me it means lower prices and subtitles, and I don't care about dubs. Goodbye R1 (for the most part).

But don't you think it going to be less than well received by those who currently buy US DVD releases and don't import? For them it's a big jump in price with no dub. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and cries of "glorified fansub" already.

That's what they're supposed to be: Free advertising.

As for dubs: The decision to produce a dub needs to start being made during the planning stages of the show, not after the show is finished. If it's a show that has potential to be shown on TV or have a broad mass appeal outside Japan, then the Japanese should fund an english dub themselves and pay some (preferably american or british) dubbing studio to handle it in a timely fashion.
If it gets a broadcast deal, great, otherwise sell the distribution rights to some R1 company like the old model to at least make the costs back. As long as it's not the R1 company that has to front the dub costs, it would be easy to sell unless it's just a giant bomb.

Even the dub industry doesn't want things to get where the only dubs that are being made are done in house at Funimation or Seraphim for as cheap as possible.
There's already been a noticeable drop in quality from the boom times in dubs, and if things continue it won't be good either.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
This comment really stuck with me, because it seems to buck a bigger trend that I thought was having a strong impact on the entertainment industry: I thought that with the expansion of HDTV, BD, home theater 3D and like technologies the cinema industry was slowly but surely going the way of commercial radio? Is Japan somehow in exception to the trend?

Its not just Japan, during all the media hoopla over Avatar being premiered in the US newscasts(evening network news I can remember specifically) made the point of bringing up that over the past couple years there's been a rise in the number of people going out to see movies.

I think some of the reasoning was attributed to the current economic downturn as more people want an escape from reality as well as people missing the days of going to see a new movie as a social event, i.e. aspects that are missing from watching at home, atmosphere/nostalgia. I've found myself in this boat, walking past the doors and instantly smelling that buttered popcorn...I missed that!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

As for dubs: The decision to produce a dub needs to start being made during the planning stages of the show, not after the show is finished. If it's a show that has potential to be shown on TV or have a broad mass appeal outside Japan, then the Japanese should fund an english dub themselves and pay some (preferably american or british) dubbing studio to handle it in a timely fashion.
If it gets a broadcast deal, great, otherwise sell the distribution rights to some R1 company like the old model to at least make the costs back. As long as it's not the R1 company that has to front the dub costs, it would be easy to sell unless it's just a giant bomb.

Even the dub industry doesn't want things to get where the only dubs that are being made are done in house at Funimation or Seraphim for as cheap as possible.
There's already been a noticeable drop in quality from the boom times in dubs, and if things continue it won't be good either.

So you basically want something similar to the Gundam Unicorn release model but with simulcasting, correct? It's fine with me, but there was still whining about the $35 price tag. Maybe the simulcasting would relieve some of that, not that there weren't multiple fansubs floating around within a day of release. Anyway, good luck with selling the idea.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Hip hip hooray for smartypants topics! Very Happy I'll be an avid reader of that column when it pops up, absolutely! I never really paid as much attention to Oshii...I kept getting the feeling he liked to hear himself talk a little too much, so even if he did have a lot to say I wasn't as crazy about his work as, say, Satoshi Kon or Chiaki Konaka. So this was very informative. Really great cast this time! As for the spring preview, I get the feeling the only three shows (so far) I'll be avidly following are Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Heroman, and Senkou no Night Raid, but of those three, the only one that I'm quivering with excitement over was Night Raid, so I hope you and Justin get to see it soon!

...Oh and, *points* Hail Skeletor. Not as threatening-looking, maybe, but a change of attire is always refreshing.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

I am sorry to say but Japanese company know nothing about marketing in America. Just look at the Toei and Bandai Visual debacle, simply put unless you can properly market it to America than the show is not going to sell. The reason why Funimation has made money in this type of enviroment is simply the fact that they know what they are doing.

Hissatsu1: uh I don't know what to say but your being ripped off, official releases of shows all have subtitles and are a fraction of the cost of Japanese releases. The person you buy anime from is probably buying the release for 40 dollars and selling it to you for 500 dollars.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
I think Spirited Away is better than Princess Mononoke, actually. It's my favorite Ghibli film.

On the subject of Oshii, though, the second Patlabor movie is my favorite, too, but mostly because it concentrates on my two favorite characters from the OVA and TV series, Captains Gotoh and Nagumo, and I love the detail. But some fans have a problem with how un-Patlabor it is, in that it's very serious and neither Noa or Asuma get much screen time at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Even without naming names, I'm pretty sure that everyone expects Gonzo to go belly up within the next year or so. They lost the rights to do a sequel to Strike Witches -- which was one of their biggest sellers in the last few years -- to AIC, so that's not a very good sign.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Beetrain tanked in the near future either. I'm hard pressed to remember anything that they've done recently that hasn't bombed when it came down to DVD sales.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Hissatsu1: uh I don't know what to say but your being ripped off, official releases of shows all have subtitles and are a fraction of the cost of Japanese releases. The person you buy anime from is probably buying the release for 40 dollars and selling it to you for 500 dollars.

I think you're a bit confused, and assuming I'm just a bit retarded. $500? The "person" I buy anime from? You mean amazon.co.jp or hmv.co.jp? Official US releases have English subtitles. Very few Japanese releases do. Shows I'm enthusiastic about I buy the Japanese release. If I like it less or if I know it's already licensed for release in the US, then I can wait for the US release. Otherwise it's a wait of several years for a release that for many shows these days never comes.

Incidentally getting English subtitles on Japanese releases is exactly what samuelp is proposing, and since he already does translation for them, I guess he's in as good a place as anyone to make the suggestion.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6