• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gintama DVD Collection 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Gintama doesn't really get going until around the 25th episode and later. The first two seasons are pretty boring and tame compared to the rest.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I somehow managed to stick around for like...60 episodes before calling it quits.

Yes, it's funny every now and then...but a good joke or two is layered in utter mediocrity. It just got real old for me. :/
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It clicked with me on the episode when Gintoki saved Shin and Kagura from those pirates, claiming that they're his new reason for fighting; his family.

It was at THAT point I knew that Gintama focused more on heart than humor, thus making it worth watching to the end.
Though I'm only on episode 44... Smile

Still, this review accurately defines how hard it is to immerse oneself into it's eventual genius. But... nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
I've read the manga and have enjoyed all but one chapter, but every chapter since I really have enjoyed thoroughly.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I really wish Gintama was dubbed. Yes the series starts off slow, but it's better to start slow than to go so fast, the author may run out of creative ideas.

I highly recommend this series, this has everything. Comedy, action, romance and exceptional artwork.
domino

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I think the series finally clicked for me at episode 20-something. Whichever episode had the panty thief...... I normally hate that kind of episode but that episode of Gintama made me laugh so hard I was crying.
spartydragon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I think the series finally clicked for me at episode 20-something. Whichever episode had the panty thief...... I normally hate that kind of episode but that episode of Gintama made me laugh so hard I was crying.

Episode 18. Quite possibly the greatest story ever told. Very Happy

And yeah, me too. I liked it up to that point, but THAT episode made me LOVE it. Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I somehow managed to stick around for like...60 episodes before calling it quits.

Yes, it's funny every now and then...but a good joke or two is layered in utter mediocrity. It just got real old for me. :/

Wow, you quit during Benizakura? that's like one of the best arcs in the series. I do agree with the review, though. it gets a lot better into the 20's. it's not really all Japanese, there's a lot of situational humor as well. I consider Gintama for the most part to be an anime sitcom.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
I was hesitant on Gintama until the one where Gintoki goes through all this hassle just to get an electric fan. To see him fight like a shounen hero just for the sake of having a bit of cold air blowing at his place simply clicked with me and I've been steadily watching more and more episodes since then (I'm in the 50s now)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Just ordered this yesterday. I've sort of been watching it on Crunchyroll, but stopped when I found out that Sentai licensed it. I would rather watch it on my big TV.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I was hesitant on Gintama until the one where Gintoki goes through all this hassle just to get an electric fan. To see him fight like a shounen hero just for the sake of having a bit of cold air blowing at his place simply clicked with me and I've been steadily watching more and more episodes since then (I'm in the 50s now)

i loved that episode especially when he had the chance to get an air conditioner but didn't because he had already gone through so much trouble for the fan there was no way he was going home with anything else hehe.

i do wish it had been dubbed. I'm so hesitant to get the dvd just because these are really the weakest episodes in the series and without a dub it just doesn't seem worth it. don't get me wrong they are still good (the time machine gag still gets me every time) but I've seen all 201 episodes so i know that these episodes rank among the weakest in the series. maybe if they release full season sets later on it might be worth it. benizakura arc would definitely be worth a buy though.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
The sleepless night of Kagura and Gintoki is my favorite sketch. I was half dead laughing split in half. That show above episode 80 is just insane for common ground and it's all about humour and whacking out the seriousness weekly. Razz
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sentai Filmworks' release of the first 13 episodes, which come on two disks, offers only clean opener and closer for regular Extras. As noted above, though, they do have the extensive on-screen notes (which are automatically on) and do include all of the after-episode comedy bits.

I don't expect Sentai to go out of the way to produce something like ADV's VidNotes, but it would really be nice if it would include an alternate, sans TL notes subtitles track. AFAIK, DVD subs are stored as a series of images or a video overlay (I don't know which), so is it that with six or seven episodes per disc there's only room for one set of subtitles?

I'd like to send Sentai some feedback on this issue, but neither Sentai nor Section23 seems to have a site up yet. Is there any contact information published somewhere? All I've been able to find is Sentai's announcement Twitter account.
niiica

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
What made me stay and not drop Gintama is the episode where Kondo and Gintoki had that "duel." And then episode 20 (the whole Mosquito thing) sealed the deal.

When I read here on ANN that Gintama was getting licensed, I cried tears of joy.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Wow, you quit during Benizakura? that's like one of the best arcs in the series. I do agree with the review, though. it gets a lot better into the 20's. it's not really all Japanese, there's a lot of situational humor as well. I consider Gintama for the most part to be an anime sitcom.

Which is exactly why I hated Benizakura... Imagine....imagine Ranma 1/2 suddenly turning into...Baccano, for a few episodes.

A lot of people dug the edgier shift...I didn't. In fact, I'd gander on the thought that the same group who ate up the Benizakura arc is the same group that gives Tetsuya Nomura more reason to spout out senseless bullshit in Kingdom Hearts. You know, edgier.
spartydragon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
v1cious wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Which is exactly why I hated Benizakura... Imagine....imagine Ranma 1/2 suddenly turning into...Baccano, for a few episodes.

A lot of people dug the edgier shift...I didn't. In fact, I'd gander on the thought that the same group who ate up the Benizakura arc is the same group that gives Tetsuya Nomura more reason to spout out senseless bullshit in Kingdom Hearts. You know, edgier.

Uh, actually, it transitions quite smoothly back into comedy. It does that for all of the serious arcs (and there are a few, but they're usually 3-5 episodes. Yoshiwara lasts the longest at 8, I think).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2