• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gurren Lagann: The Movie ~Childhood's End~

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Im mostly curious about why certain choices were made with this movie. Why was this sub-only, even after the series was on TV dubbed? Was there really so little interest in the English version? Why include that inserted book with no translations? I'm sure people would want to know what it says. Why only sell on the Bandai store? I guess it's a way to get people to at least go to the site, but it seems like they really limit themselves by forcing one seller on customers.

I'm curious from a business perspective. All of these choices were deliberate, and it seems like they might hurt as much as help.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Im mostly curious about why certain choices were made with this movie. Why was this sub-only, even after the series was on TV dubbed? Was there really so little interest in the English version? Why include that inserted book with no translations? I'm sure people would want to know what it says. Why only sell on the Bandai store? I guess it's a way to get people to at least go to the site, but it seems like they really limit themselves by forcing one seller on customers.

I'm curious from a business perspective. All of these choices were deliberate, and it seems like they might hurt as much as help.

No kidding. Especially for dubbers like myself. they should have did what media blasters did with kite liberator and did a semi release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what Bandai was thinking on this release, Bandai's sub release of Gurren Lagann bombed big time thats why they went back and dubbed it.

And an insert with no translation? Really?

Who exactly is running this company?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
I'm not sure what Bandai was thinking on this release, Bandai's sub release of Gurren Lagann bombed big time thats why they went back and dubbed it.

You should probably blame Aniplex America itself more than Bandai, in all honesty, who is essentially taking care of manufacturing and distribution on behalf of the other company. Remember this interview?

And while it doesn't bother me either way, I believe that the subbed release of the TV series was always meant to be a stop-gap measure in order to get something out for impatient consumers after the ADV fiasco.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I kept hearing the bilingual volumes sold poorly, but what exactly was the time between the airing on Sci-Fi and the first bilingual volume coming out anyway? Someone may have just picked up the sub only sets thinking they were dubbed due to the broadcast occurring...

What I don't get is why they didn't pitch either movie to Sci-Fi/SyFy for broadcasting. The series ran twice on Ani-Monday and according to Starz Media was the most popular show on the block.

I'm passing on both movies because despite the spoiler[massive transformation in the second movie] and the fact that it essentially condenses the series I'd rather watch the TV series because it actually has a dub. Good riddance. "We know about anime fan wants", huh?
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I would totally buy this... if the Parallel Works were included on the standard DVDs.

I mean, I love the series. Loved it enough to buy the collector sets Bandai released, but I certainly don't love it enough to pay $40+ for a 2 hour movie that isn't much more than a remake with some new footage, an item, and bonus features. Especially considering the lack of dub.

And that's not to say it's not worth it to some people. I know a couple GL fans who are ecstaic to get this movie. I just mean for a casual fan, like myself, the standard DVD has hardly any appeal on its own, since I already have the show. Meanwhile the collector's version, with the parallel works that I really want, is too expensive to justify.

Last edited by machetecat on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
43 dollars for the extra, huh? Thirteen or so dollars extra for an untranslated booklet and wackish extras, huh? Not to mention a sub-only, non-Blu Ray release. My god, Bandai is pretty noneconomy friendly.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
43 dollars for the extra, huh? Thirteen or so dollars extra for an untranslated booklet and wackish extras, huh? Not to mention a sub-only, non-Blu Ray release. My god, Bandai is pretty noneconomy friendly.
\

Aniplex. It's Aniplex. Not Bandai.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
These sub-only things usually have errors with their subtitling and that alone tells you they should just include a dub. Nobody who works on these things in Japan does a proper job keeping spelling and grammar issues out of the final product. I'm pretty sure I know the real reason though.

Most people, including many members here, hated the English dub because, and I quote, "Kyle Hebert sucked voicing Kamina"; this was the same excuse I kept hearing over and over again. It's amazing one character's English voice could make so many hate an entire TV series being dubbed at all. I'm not joking when I say this nor am I exaggerating. They really refused to watch the English version because of Kyle Hebert. It does make me want to call these people the infamous word, but...what's the point really? I understand Hebert wasn't completely capturing the so-called passionate manly spirit of the Japanese version, but he was trying at least. I keep telling those people to be grateful we get to see GL in the U.S. at all, but they just don't get it.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Especially considering the fact that Hebert's character spoiler[is killed off early on] and Yuri Lowenthal fills Simon's shoes well.
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Most people, including many members here, hated the English dub because, and I quote, "Kyle Hebert sucked voicing Kamina"
Seriously?! I watched both subbed and dubbed, and I thought he did a decent job as Kamina... =/
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Most people, including many members here, hated the English dub because, and I quote, "Kyle Hebert sucked voicing Kamina"
Seriously?! I watched both subbed and dubbed, and I thought he did a decent job as Kamina... =/

Yeah, I'd say "most hated it" is a bit of an overexaggeration. Quite a lot of people thought it was a terrific dub.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Herbert's Kamina I thought was an excellent job!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The fact that there are obviously a number of people who are misunderstanding things and thinking that Bandai is releasing this rather than Aniplex (presumably because it's being sold at the Bandai Store) makes me wonder how this will affect Bandai. Presumably, Bandai is making some money off this deal, but if a bunch of people dislike what Aniplex is doing, will it negatively affect Bandai because people think that it's Bandai doing it? Bandai sure doesn't need any negative PR at this point.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a dub watcher, but I was kinda hoping they would dub the movies in order to have Hynden Walch voice adult Nia. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3