• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Occult Academy Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
It's a fun series because it doesn't take itself too seriously and is fine with playing things loose, but it's also a frustrating one because of those same reasons. It struggles to find a tone, but so far hasn't found one. It struggles to tell a compelling story [which we've seen sparks of from time to time, particularly in a certain scene in episode 6], but can't figure out the right way to do it.

With 8 episodes down [haven't watched 9 yet] and only 5 more to go, it feels like they're either going cram a lot of exposition in at a late hour or leave things open for a second season that may or may not happen.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

With 8 episodes down [haven't watched 9 yet] and only 5 more to go,

+4

Though DVD only episodes are usually used for side stories, with an extra 4 episodes it would be nice if they fleshed things out.
crazyresident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
its interesting that Mamoru Hosoda is doing the ending for this.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
A mess, seriously? I guess I can understand why it may come across that way--but from where I was sitting, as nonsensical as the story may be, everything worked for it. Everything that's in Occult Academy makes it said series and I didn't think "mess" at all. It's kind of like Ghostbusters, in that it's funny and doesn't take itself too seriously with all its random creative/imaginative plot elements. I haven't been disappointed in any way at all so far.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's more or less my opinion of it so far. Maya is great. First couple episodes are great. After that it really loses direction though. It's not exactly bad but it's really all over the place.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
I'm okay with the "all over the place" element; what is still my major criticism of it is the kind of lazy characterization. Maya and Bunmei are interesting, and growing more so as the series and their relationship to each other progresses, but everyone else? They're all pretty one-note. I think these mini-arcs are intended to flesh them out, but so far nobody's really shown much depth. So I'm holding out hope that Maya and Bunmei and the Nosferatu Key will carry the series to the end. In the meantime, it is a ton of fun, and I find myself both laughing at the comedy and being thrilled by the action sequences. Have there been better series than this? Yes, but right now it's sort of the popcorn and beer option in my anime viewing, and that doesn't hurt once in a while.
EvilMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, so...Occult Academy gets a C-, while Asobi ni Ikuyo gets an A-?! I give up...
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
EvilMonkey wrote:
Ok, so...Occult Academy gets a C-, while Asobi ni Ikuyo gets an A-?! I give up...

Different reviewers man. You know Key is more lenient.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
I must say I agree with this review. I was pretty excited for the series after hearing about it being some scooby-doo and harry potter esque lovechild, but after watching the first half of it it's kind of meh. Not that I don't like the characters, they all seem pretty interesting, but it's just kind of, I don't know, boring?
lascd123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Having never seen a single episode of this show, I wonder is it worth watching? From all of the reviews and previews I've heard, it almost sounds like a supernatural , non-shonen, version of one piece in that it is more about wacky animation and inventive storytelling. Is this close to right or completely off-base?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, for as supposedly apocalyptic as the conspiracy which may end up destroying the world, there's very little plot progression going on. Although it's immediately clear that Double Buns is behind the various incidents, we only ever see her commenting that they have destroyed the evidence after Maya and company defeat whatever menace popped up, and there has been no consistent plan or motive behind any of them. Heck, as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any plan or motive behind any of them. I enjoy the satirical elements of the series greatly, but the other half of the show is floundering.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
I think it's definitely worth watching (but ultimately depends on a viewer's tastes). I'm not quite as critical of the show as Carl -- I'd give it a solid B. But it's a B that I really look forward to watching every single week. It's very much Ghostbusters minus the proton packs. Maya is an extremely progressive female character for something coming out of Japan. I would say that if the first two or three episodes don't grab you, though, it's probably not going to be your cup of tea.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
EvilMonkey wrote:
Boobs my friend. Boobs.

Also, one reviewer is critical of the story (which I can fully understand) and one really isn't.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Occult Academy, particularly with the Scooby Doo vibe it has. Also, any show that pulls out an Army of Darkness/Bruce Campbell homage is awesome to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'd say that was pretty fair-minded review. I'm in the camp that doesn't really give a flying eff that there is no consistent narrative through-line. The show amuses and entertains me and as far as I'm concerned, that's enough to justify its existence.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
I was wholly disappointed with the direction the series took after the first couple episodes. I tried to keep paying attention to the episodes that followed but it went nowhere fast. Even the main characters began to be unlikable for me.

It seems like they came up with a really good idea but only came up with enough content for a couple episodes. Maybe the last few episodes will be progressive, but when 75% of the episodes don't hold my interest like the first couple did, that's not a good sign of what's to come.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2