• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves Discusses Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
With the economy these days, even $200 million budgets isn't as affordable as it used to be, so every studio is tightwad with their wallet unless it's a sure-fire winner.

CareyGrant wrote:

4) If it's such a fantastic script... WHY NOT ANIMATE IT?! Where else but in animation can you make the impossible possible? Make a several hundred million dollar movie for a scant fraction of that.

Nobody in America watches serious animated films in theaters. Might as well pool that scant fraction of a hundred million money and set it on fire.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Despite the crazy number of 500 million dollars, I see a problem with the age of Mr Reeves. The article said, he's going to star in that movie and I assume, it'll be Spike. He's nearly 50 years old. Heck, at this time, Jet would be the more proper choice. Hurry up Keanu, you ain't getting younger...

True. Spike is 27 years old. Keanu playing him is a bit of stretch. But, as it's been pointed out to me, Keanu Reeves barely ages.

My concern is more about his acting than his age, but the age thing does weigh in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryukage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I believe we have just found James Cameron's next opus!

You know, it wouldn't cost $500,000,000 if you ANIMATED IT!!!
Just saying.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it would be for the better if this movie never got made. If past anime/cartoon/game adaptations are any indication, I'd rather them just leave Cowboy Bebop alone.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
for half a billion, maybe they're planning on going to mars to film it?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Carey:
Quote:
Has Hollywood EVER made a decent Anime to film adaptation?

To be fair, they've only just started. Though people seem to forget that their non-Batman/Superman/The Mask comic book movies blew once, too. [Barb Wire, anyone?] But for now, I'll consider Scott Pilgrim as a faithful "anime" adaptation, at least until the real thing comes along.

True. But, American comics have a MUCH greater saturation in American culture than Japanese Animation. Who in the US doesn't know about Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman (even before the recent run of Hollywood comic book adaptations, like Nolan's Batman or even the Micheal Keaton Batmans)? In short, those characters and stories are already apart of our cultural identity.

enurtsol wrote:
Nobody in America watches serious animated films in theaters. Might as well pool that scant fraction of a hundred million money and set it on fire.

Define "serious?" So Pixar is what then? Besides being one of the most profitable movie studios of all time?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
There is no way a Cowboy Bebop movies is going to cost half a billion dollars to make. Hollywood has been making fantastic Sci-Fi movies for so long, and for not anywhere near a half billion.

Live action NGE would cost more to make than a Cowboy Bebop movie. Cowboy Bebop is spaceships and guns, that has been done over and over. NGE would require making the various Angels, NERV, EVA units, the rapture, and all the military equipment that is destroyed throughout the series.

Cowboy Bebop is probably stuck in development hell, just like the John Carter of Mars movie.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone listen to anything Keanu Reeves says? The man is an idiot, and a complete hack of an actor. The only role he's been believable in is Ted Theodore Logan, but since he wasn't acting there, that hardly counts. Hopefully this movie never gets made, if nothing more than to save the reputation of Cowboy Bebop.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Carey:
Quote:

To be fair, they've only just started. Though people seem to forget that their non-Batman/Superman/The Mask comic book movies blew once, too. [Barb Wire, anyone?] But for now, I'll consider Scott Pilgrim as a faithful "anime" adaptation, at least until the real thing comes along.

True. But, American comics have a MUCH greater saturation in American culture than Japanese Animation. Who in the US doesn't know about Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman (even before the recent run of Hollywood comic book adaptations, like Nolan's Batman or even the Micheal Keaton Batmans)? In short, those characters and stories are already apart of our cultural identity.

I agree with you on the classic super heroes being part of the cultural identity, but really -- Barb Wire? Tank Girl? Howard the Duck? and even The Mask -- I was into American comics when that came out and I'd never heard of it. And I'm not sure who had heard of Swamp Thing when that came out, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people wish they'd never heard of it afterward -- even though the comic had some rockin' years.

My point is, if movies of American comics without house-hold name-brand heroes can get made, and occasionally be hits (The Mask is a good example), then it really doesn't matter where the source material comes from, in my opinion. It does matter somewhat that the source material be "good," but what matters most is the caliber of talent that end up making the film.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Maybe it would be for the better if this movie never got made. If past anime/cartoon/game adaptations are any indication, I'd rather them just leave Cowboy Bebop alone.

I have to agree with you on this one. I wasn't looking forward to a live action adaptation of one of my favorite anime, but because it's Cowboy Bebop, I was willing to give it a chance. But, really, I think it better if this movie never gets made. The 26 episode TV series are perfect enough. Besides, from what it says in the news article, it sounds like it might not be made after all. That whole "it'll cost a billion dollars" is utter crap. It would not cost a billion dollars to make a live action Cowboy Bebop movie. That sounds like an excuse.
fire_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
All I really want is Cameron's Alita. He'll show everyone how an adaptation should be done.

This movie, not so much.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Carey:
Quote:

I agree with you on the classic super heroes being part of the cultural identity, but really -- Barb Wire? Tank Girl? Howard the Duck? and even The Mask -- I was into American comics when that came out and I'd never heard of it. And I'm not sure who had heard of Swamp Thing when that came out, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people wish they'd never heard of it afterward -- even though the comic had some rockin' years.

My point is, if movies of American comics without house-hold name-brand heroes can get made, and occasionally be hits (The Mask is a good example), then it really doesn't matter where the source material comes from, in my opinion. It does matter somewhat that the source material be "good," but what matters most is the caliber of talent that end up making the film.

The Mask was hugely popular because it was a role tailor made for then rising star, Jim Carrey. All he does is mug for the camera the entire movie (like in Ace Ventura), which is one of his strengths. Without him, the movie would have tanked, in my opinion.

However, I do think, like you, that without talent behind (and in) the project, regardless of how good the source material is, it's gonna tank. Hard.

Personally, I'd kill for another animated Bebop movie with Nobumoto, Watanabe and crew at the helm and Kanno writing the score. Hell, if I had the millions I'd finance the thing myself!
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of this movie and am fairly confident that they can pull it off.

However I do have one fear and that's them editing continuity. Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows where editing the continuity has no merit and will just annoy the viewers who are already fans of the anime.

For example, if they base the movie off of the first episode of the anime (the Red Eye episode), then it wouldn't make sense to include Faye and Edward in the cast since they haven't been introduced yet at that point in the story.

IMO, they should make an original plot. Something to take place between one of the episodes of the anime... sort of like the anime movie did "Knockin on Heaven's Door." In fact, I think that is the best mode of action because then the only task they would be left with (other than making a good plot) would be introducing the characters to the audience. If they try to follow the anime's plot, then they would have to waste time in the movie introducing the characters to each other.

Look what happened to DB: Evolution. 2/3 of the movie was how the main characters met each other. The remainder was plot development and resolution.

If they start the story after the Bebop crew has already met each other, then the producers only have to worry about introducing the characters to the audience. That way the story and plot can take off sooner and last longer and it also wont bore and/or confuse the already seasoned Cowboy Bebop fans.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This is probably a sign that the movie should be scrapped. I have been against the idea since the start and my opinion has not changed. I'd prefer to see more anime episodes.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Maybe it would be for the better if this movie never got made. If past anime/cartoon/game adaptations are any indication,

I'd rather them just leave Cowboy Bebop alone.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU.

There's something about Live action adaptations that just doesn't go well with my brain. Cowboy Bebop is a classic. Keanu Reeves is just...not my favorite actor. I hope he watches the series at the very least. Call me pessimistic but, I have a feeling this movie won't go well.

The Last Airbender was a train wreck in my opinion. Although, Avatar isn't really from Japan, it's a magnificently executed animated story. The movie version was just an absolute failure, a waste of 16 dollars. It was a terrible movie through and through, especially if you were a HUGE fan of the series.

Keanu Reeves is unsuitable to play Spike, OR Jet and especially not Vicious. Absolutely not. No way. This movie is a disaster waiting to happen no matter how well written the script is. I don't like the idea of it at all. I've seen movies starring Keanu and I’m just not a fan. Dave's Chappelle's parody of the Matrix made it even worse because the way he imitated Keanu, was actually pretty close to how really acts. Lol

If it were Nicolas Cage, I would probably see it. He’s an excellent actor. Plus, he’s cool. Wink

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6