• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm in such good company! I've shed tears for those scenes in Haibane Renmei, Fantastic Children, Azumanga Daioh, Chrno Crusade, Kurau, Figure 17, and Place Promised in Our Early Days.

Key does so many wonderful tearjerker scenes. Even though I know I'm being totally manipulated, I still get caught up in them. Of course the end of Air, but Kanna's story is also worthy, especially when we spend more time with her in Air in Summer

I also tear up when I see Yume take her final test in Someday's Dreamers, it feels like such an act of love.

And, another vote for Alice Carroll in Aria!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I was so pleasantly surprised to see Alice Sakaguchi from PSME on the list. While she isn't my favorite character (though she does become more strong-willed in the manga), I have to vote for her because it's PSME!

Ahiru wrote:
*Fantastic Children when Tohma spoiler[learns who he really is and everything that happened so many lives ago.]

Oh criminey, me too. The final flashback scene with Soran and Sesu gets me every time really, really hard. This is probably one of the hardest scenes in any anime that I've ever had to watch. spoiler[His betrayal and then immediate regret is painful to watch.]

Ahiru wrote:
*Rosette and Chrono's spoiler[death scene.] That one felt like a total manipulation, but it got me anyway! Embarassed

I don't care much for the anime (because of certain changes it made to the characters I loved from the manga), but this scene was one of the only scenes that effectively moved me.

Okay, I've got a few more tearjerkers.
  • How about a totally unexpected one? Sakujun from Story of Saiunkoku. Holy crap, I was not expecting to watch something so painful in this series. Similar to Fantastic Children, this one is hard to watch.
  • Episodes 26 and 27 (and for some episode 8) from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Personally, 26 gets to me the most. Everyone coming to terms and breaking out of their own dreams pulls at the heartstrings every time (especially Viral's Crying or Very sad).
  • Certain scenes in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Episodes 8 through 12 all seem to have one at least one scene that chokes me up a bit. But episode 10 is probably the worst offender.
  • The final four episodes in Princess Tutu. There's nothing particularly depressing in the series, but the emotional events never fail to bring tears to my eyes spoiler[(Rue's cries for Mytho, Akiru and Fakir's pas de deux)].
  • First episode of Cross Game. The direction of the show really helps play off the characters' initial emptiness and disbelief. And then comes the painful acceptance and tears.
  • The last few scenes in Millennium Actress. Chiyoko flying off into space ready for the chase and her next adventure spoiler[(symbolic of her passing on)] effectively pulls at the heartstrings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic list! GotF is always a difficult watch. Anime cry

The biggest tearjerker for me might be the ending of Wolf's Rain, especially spoiler[the deaths of Cher and Toboe]. I always lose it when spoiler[Cher dies in Hubb's arms, and he doesn't just cry--he starts bawling. It's like you can hear his heart breaking. Her death is so sudden and simple that you can't help but be affected by it]. As for spoiler[Toboe, his death scene is just the opposite. It's dramatic, it's manipulative, perhaps it's even a little overwrought, but it's very effective. I think it's particularly beautiful when Quent dies beside him and realizes as he dies that it had been Toboe who had saved his life before].
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion was dark, but even I think it never had outright "tearjerker" moments (it was more of a slow burn)

Elfen Lied had some good moments though:

1 - the point when up-to-then complete monster Lucy (in one of her lucid, talking points) breaks down crying and says she doesn't really deserve to live with normal people (up until this point they just show her as the "Hyde' of a Jekyll and Hyde dynamic)

2 - The flashback episode where we see Mayu's backstory, revealing she's a homeless runaway who fled sexual abuse; the point where she meets an abandoned lost dog, and recognizes that "they threw me away too" and breaks down.

3 - Alright, probably the outright "tearjerker" I'd pick from this (given that *every* time I've shown it to someone else they actually cry) but the point in the last episode when Mariko's father puts them both out of their misery with an explosive, and in a brief instant the happy family life they would have had if she hadn't been born a mutant flashes before his eyes.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
I would like to nominate Clannad/Clannad After Story.

I've watched most of the anime that was listed, but no scene there could even compare to the scenes in Clannad. Anime cry

Yeah, Clannad After Story easily for me as well.
As for Saikano, well the only part of the show that moved me was when spoiler[the girl who had the unrequited crush on Shuji died]. As for Shuji and Chise, I could not have cared less about them. I really disliked that show.
I'd also go for Chrono Crusade, it was the first anime to make me cry.
Honourable mention should go to Honey and Clover II, that final scene at the train station is one of the most bittersweet things I've ever seen.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
For me, perhaps the all-time most emotionally difficult scene among the shows I've watched comes in episode seven of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin spoiler[when Soyon is executed by being fed to the toudas after she sends Erin away]. I cannot imagine an event like that in any show intended for a younger audience here in the States.

I couldn't watch more than half of Grave of the Fireflies without feeling ill as I watched the American bombers fly overhead.

I find alll these lists rely way too much on the most mainstream shows and ignore some of the real gems like Erin that get little attention on this side of the Pacific.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to have seen some "One Piece" in the list. It's one of the few anime that consistently taps into my emotions, and has me reaching for a tissue box more times than I'd like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see all of the support for Alice Carroll!

Lots of good shows/moments mentioned in the thread. I'll bring up another: the last episode of Sugar, a Little Snow Fairy where spoiler[Sugar, sensing it's almost time to go, tries to keep her flower from blooming so she won't have to leave Saga.] Like Air, that scene's taken on extra meaning given Tomoko Kawakami's passing away.
Karisu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Clannad is literally criminal.
Literally.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Literally.

seems that what happened in Air made her cry more than what happened in Clannad.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree with this list, but I'm really surprised to not see any Clannad moments on this list. In my opinion Clannad is king of the tear jerkers.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Literally.

Someone doesn't know what "literally" means!
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Question: why does "tearjerkers" only cover tragic events?

When Alice Carrol stole the scene in the episode titled "Those Orange Days" (Aria: The Origination), there hasn't been a scene in anime bringing me to tears like that in a very long time.

No tragedy. Just awesome.

In reading the list, I feel sort of cold-hearted none of those series brought me to tears.

Then again, I'm like that. Takes a lot more than a death scene to get me flooding the eyes.

Like the dandelion field scene in Clannad: After Story. No tragedy there, unless you count a lost robot toy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I went for the Alice from Pandora Hearts. Razz

As for tear-jerkers, I'm surprised no one has mentioned a certain scene from Rahxephon. You know the one.

spoiler[When Hiroko Asahina dies because Ayato Kamina destroys her dholem without knowing he is killing her, and finds out only too late.] I can't re-watch Rahxephon because of that scene. It's just too sad.

Also, not quite the same sort of sad, is at the end of K-On Season 2, when the band plays the song they made for Azu-nyan as a way to say good-bye to her.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
As for spoiler[Toboe, his death scene is just the opposite. It's dramatic, it's manipulative, perhaps it's even a little overwrought, but it's very effective. I think it's particularly beautiful when Quent dies beside him and realizes as he dies that it had been Toboe who had saved his life before].

And of course, that isn't bad enough. After that, we get Tsume's famous monologue, where he spoiler[asks for a few moments alone with Toboe's body and admits that Toboe was his motivation for keeping going. I'd imagine alot of fans who kept it together up until then probably lost it when Tsume started crying. Crispin Freeman has cited Tsume as his favorite role, and I suspect that scene is a large part of the reason why.]

The whole conclusion of Wolf's Rain is obviously one huge tragedy, but the first three you mention in your point are the most devastating, spoiler[Toboe's because of his age, Quent's because his epiphany came too late, and Cher's because of it's effect on Hubb].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10