• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Flat Game Society

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ah Ciolek, so you too got caught up in that tangled mess that was the Tangled title change!
Didn't know you kept up with the industry! Laughing

Todd wrote:

it has Lightning wearing feathery Soul Calibur armor with suspicious openings

I like how you put that.................. suspicious openings............ heheh, suspicious indeed.

Ciolek wrote:

Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama is in charge of the sequel, and he hasn't revealed too much about the story aside from it involving Lightning's rival. But just who is that rival? I know this awful joke is made every time a Final Fantasy rolls around, but I can't tell if it's a man or a woman. The trailer seems to depict Lightning crossing swords with a guy, but the figure in the game's logo looks like a woman.

Oh, it's that effeminate Hope Estheim all growed up! And you know it! Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
I don't see the 2-D game in any danger, more and more developers are making games for phones simply because it's a lot cheaper. A lot of Japanese developers in particular are going there simply because it's gotten harder and harder to sell their games in America.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I don't see the 2-D game in any danger, more and more developers are making games for phones simply because it's a lot cheaper. A lot of Japanese developers in particular are going there simply because it's gotten harder and harder to sell their games in America.

And they're gonna have to make adjustments there too, as more and more native J-phones are phased out by Western-designed worldwide-compatible cellphones.

Have you noticed: most major console game releases are now from Western developers, while most major handheld game releases are by Japanese? It's like 2 separate markets now.

Ciolek wrote:

A fairly down-to-earth supervillain, the ghoulishly clad Taskmaster imitates the moves of other characters, which, of course, spares CAPCOM from having to program unique ones.

Oh, like Tekken's Mokujin! Laughing
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
Wait! So that new Disney movie is actually about Millia and Sol Badguy as a couple!? I'm sold! Wink Surprised
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Highly anticipating Dead Space 2's release next week.

Not much throughout February though, primary concerns lie on Pokemon Black's release in March.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Tangled: Excellent movie, I highly recommend seeing it (no I'm not helping Todd's joke along Anime hyper). I am reminded of that article about the name change too.

FF: So a sequel to 13 is it? I can only imagine how this will go. As for the PSP one, it'll probably be as stupid popular as Dissidia.

God Eater: While we're on the subject of name changes, lol at this one. I guess the U.S. is still full of those stupid phobes who worry God's name will get desecrated because of video games. Pathetic paranoia, you gotta love it Rolling Eyes

Lord of Arcana: This will only get attention because Amano and McFarlane were put in charge of art. Other than that, I'm sure the appeal will be low key.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Regarding Lightning's rival's gender, I'd say it depends on whether that thing is a sword or a large feather boa.

Todd wrote:
While I think it's unfair that Final Fantasy XII never got a sequel

Revenant Wings doesn't count?

enurtsol wrote:
Have you noticed: most major console game releases are now from Western developers, while most major handheld game releases are by Japanese? It's like 2 separate markets now.

Hasn't that always been the case, though? Most Western developed handheld games have always been ports or quick cash ins. I don't consider myself biased either way, but somewhere like 99% of my GB, GBA and DS collections are composed of Japanese games.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
The whole title change thing with Rapunzel was baffling. Hell, I didn't even find out about it until a week after I'd seen the movie, since its release title here still is Rapunzel.

And XIII-2, eh? Can't wait to tell my friend who's still playing through the first one. Laughing
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
I am totally getting that Tactics Ogre box. It will be mine.

Quote:
don't stick us with two-character parties for hours on end, don't make us run through dull corridors instead of open areas, and don't give Lightning some dipshit love interest just because cliché demands it.

My thoughts exactly. I'm actually optimistic that XIII-2 will use the world and engine to make a better game, although I hope Lightning doesn't spend too much time in that outfit.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
Wasn't it the X button who cited on Square talking about there latest Final Fantasies being "less then well received" especially 13 considering all the time and money they put into it, and then they turn around and announce 13-2? For a second I almost thought square was learning a lesson, and then I realized, money talks, never freaking mind
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Wasn't it the X button who cited on Square talking about there latest Final Fantasies being "less then well received" especially 13 considering all the time and money they put into it, and then they turn around and announce 13-2? For a second I almost thought square was learning a lesson, and then I realized, money talks, never freaking mind

That's probably the point. Since the sequel will be re-using a lot of environments and character models, Square-Enix wants to get as much as they can out of them, since they spent so much on it. As mentioned they likely will be trying to fix the mistakes of the first game instead of completely scrapping something they put so much effort in.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
which is no longer tied to Final Fantasy XIII's shared universe

I don't get this - why does everyone keep saying this? Since yesterday, the fact that Type-0 is still Fabula Nova Crystallis has been beaten to death, and people still say that it isn't part of the whole Final Fantasy XIII thing.

...It is. ...Somebody get it right for once.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
Well, the future of 2D just got a bit more bleak with developments over at SNK Playmore. Not only is the current KoF producer stepping down, word is that the president is looking to shut down new game development, focusing on licensing old titles and merchandising.

http://dreamcancel.com/?p=472
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Well, the future of 2D just got a bit more bleak with developments over at SNK Playmore. Not only is the current KoF producer stepping down, word is that the president is looking to shut down new game development, focusing on licensing old titles and merchandising.

http://dreamcancel.com/?p=472

I'm not least bit surprised, as the last two KoF games have just been stale. They lack the personality of earlier KoF.

2.5D is the future of 2D. Get over it.

*Dreams about Cyberbots sequel*
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
I LOVED both Cyberbots games. There definately should be a third,even if it's just a downloadable retro title. Actually,ESPESCIALLY if it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3