• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Learning Japanese From Manga [and some other questions]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I wondered: Could everyone here who reads manga in Japanese talk Japanese before reading manga? Or are there people who really learned it by reading manga (and watching anime)?

BTW:
Does anyone know these books? Manga University Books @ amazon.com
They're hillarious! I bought them because I think the idea is great (not because I want to learn Japanese seriously, just out of fun and interest).

They "use original manga artwork to teach students how to read, write and pronounce the Japanese hiragana and katakana alphabets, also known as "kana"." and
"teach readers how to identify and write the most common Japanese kanji ideographs. Each page features its own comic strip, kanji pronunciation guide, stroke order, and English explanations."

Please don't hack me to pieces because I put all this stuff in one topic! Embarassed I'm really interested in answers!

Last edited by smutchi on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
I wondered: Could everyone here who reads manga in Japanese talk Japanese before reading manga?

That would be me.

smutchi wrote:
Or are there people who really learned it by reading manga (and watching anime)?

Well, that would be anyone. You can't really watch any anime or read any manga without learning at least a modicum of Japanese. But I gather you mean: learning from manga/anime as primary source.

smutchi wrote:
[Off-topic question Embarassed]
And also, please don't be offended, I wonder sometimes why people who say they started learning Japanese because of their interest in manga/anime are being laughed at.

It's a snob effect. That, and the fact that a lot of people refuse to admit that learning a language can be fun, and that there's nothing wrong with it being fun.

But, incidentally, learning from anime and manga carries a pitfall inherent in the process - the language used in manga and anime isn't ordinary Japanese. It's an exaggerated form. Just like you shouldn't learn English with The Three Stooges and Jimmy Cagney as your primary reference material, so too should you be wary of using this essentially artificial form of Japanese, replete with histrionics and exaggerated mannerisms.

smutchi wrote:
I mean I've learned six languages in my life and three of them only out of interest... Smile

I learn every language out of interest. No interest, no learning.

smutchi wrote:
(the other three I had to learn, English is one of them Laughing )
In Switzerland it's normal to learn at least three foreign languages (including "normal" German), meaning I don't want to show off my language skills! Shocked

French, Italian, German, Romansch - which one is your native language? I'm guessing Romansch.

smutchi wrote:
If you think I do, you can point out all the English mistakes I made! Twisted Evil Laughing

Be careful - we might call your bluff.

smutchi wrote:
BTW:
Does anyone know these books? Manga University Books @ amazon.com
They're hillarious! I bought them because I think the idea is great (not because I want to learn Japanese seriously, just out of fun and interest).
They "use original manga artwork to teach students how to read, write and pronounce the Japanese hiragana and katakana alphabets, also known as "kana"." and
"teach readers how to identify and write the most common Japanese kanji ideographs. Each page features its own comic strip, kanji pronunciation guide, stroke order, and English explanations."

They're fine - have you read the "Mangajin Basic Japanese through comics" books? There's also a recent one by Wayne Lammers, "Japanese the manga way", which follows the same recipe.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

smutchi wrote:
Or are there people who really learned it by reading manga (and watching anime)?

Well, that would be anyone. You can't really watch any anime or read any manga without learning at least a modicum of Japanese. But I gather you mean: learning from manga/anime as primary source.

Well yes, that's what I meant! Smile

abunai wrote:
smutchi wrote:
I mean I've learned six languages in my life and three of them only out of interest... Smile

I learn every language out of interest. No interest, no learning.

Which languages did you learn (if I may ask)? Smile

abunai wrote:
smutchi wrote:
If you think I do, you can point out all the English mistakes I made! Twisted Evil Laughing

You know, I wouldn't be offended if anyone really pointed out some mistakes (as long as it's not like "How can you be so stupid to write XYZ")! I also post here because I want to improve my English! Smile And it wasn't meant like "Ha, you'll never find a mistake 'cause I'm so good! *harr,harr*" !! I hope you didn't understand it that way!! Sad

abunai wrote:
They're fine - have you read the "Mangajin Basic Japanese through comics" books? There's also a recent one by Wayne Lammers, "Japanese the manga way", which follows the same recipe.

No, I haven't but thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check them out! Very Happy And also thanks for answering all my questions so patiently! Smile

Last edited by smutchi on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Which languages did you learn (if I may ask)? Smile

Read this and posts above and below it.

Let's enjoy some gaH together next time, abunai.

smutchi wrote:
It's true that "Romansch" (I think you call it "Rhaeto-Romanic" in English?) is an official language in Switzerland - I'm impressed that you know that BTW!!!

I'd be more surprised if you could find something that abunai DOESN'T know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I am not really sure it is possible to learn Japanese from manga. Kanji is a very formidable barrier to reading manga - (unless of course you want to read manga written excusively for elementary school students Very Happy ).

I think that most people who learn from manga get a couple of years of formal Japanese instruction under their belt and then suplement their knowlegde with manga reading.

Of course, I am not saying that it isn't possible. It depends on how hard-core you are, but I have yet to meet such a hard core person.
Arkard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that most people who learn from manga get a couple of years of formal Japanese instruction under their belt and then suplement their knowlegde with manga reading.

That would be me.
Altough, not a couple of years, more like 9 months, but I am able to grasp almost all of the low level titles, aimed at elementary school kids. I am an eager learner Smile Anyway, I found out that the best way to review and practice japanese is by... hentai manga Smile he he, now easy, hear me out first. First of all - the language used in it is very simple, plus you pick up a few interestign words in the process. It is a study session that you will most certainly enjoy (wink) and one you might easily remember.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Anyway, I found out that the best way to review and practice japanese is by... hentai manga Smile he he, now easy, hear me out first. First of all - the language used in it is very simple, plus you pick up a few interestign words in the process. It is a study session that you will most certainly enjoy (wink) and one you might easily remember.

Yes, and it will be sooo useful, when meeting Japanese. Laughing I can just imagine....

(freely translated from the Japanese:)

(JAPANESE TOURIST stops ARKARD in the street)
JAPANESE TOURIST: "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to Wavel Castle?"
ARKARD: "Ooh baby, hurt me! You know I like it!"
JAPANESE TOURIST: "Uhh... pardon?"
ARKARD: "That's the spot! I'm coming! Yaaaa!"
(JAPANESE TOURIST backs away, aghast)

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote
Oh very funny, har dee har har Wink
Altough I do know now how to blackmail a teacher in japanese... could come in handy right? Right? Right???
He he he... but seriously, it does give you a chance to practice some grammar structures and revise some casual japanese. Hey, I`m in the top of my class now so I guess my methods are not that bad Wink
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've only learned a few words here and there in Japanese while reading manga. As of now, the only language I can speak and write fluently is English. I know some Chinese, but no kanji. (Like that helps)The thing tht bothers me is that in the U.S., students begin learning world languages in middle school, which I think is rather late. Being interested in a language is probably what will get most people to become fluent. Some are just...much more daunting than others. My parents stopped making me go to Chinese school a while back. Now I'd actually show some interest.Sad
abunai wrote:
smutchi wrote:
I'm going with Abunai on this one.
smutchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
abunai wrote:
smutchi wrote:

Oh come on! That was a joke, nothing more! Read the comment I made in an earlier post:

Quote:
abunai wrote:

smutchi wrote:

If you think I do, you can point out all the English mistakes I made!

You know, I wouldn't be offended if anyone really pointed out some mistakes (as long as it's not like "How can you be so stupid to write XYZ")! I also post here because I want to improve my English! And it wasn't meant like "Ha, you'll never find a mistake 'cause I'm so good! *harr,harr*" !! I hope you didn't understand it that way!!

I'm not even close to "perfect" English!
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
.Sy wrote:
abunai wrote:
smutchi wrote:

Oh come on! That was a joke, nothing more!

I'm not even close to "perfect" English!
Yes, I know it was a joke, and I was also joking. So no offense meant. Smile Although you might say your English isn't even close to perfect, it's really quite fluent. To me anyway...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1