• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Croatian Food Maker Addresses 'Vegeta' Product Name

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamanashi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
It took this long to say anything about the name? Oh well, I'm pretty sure Vegeta's name wasn't directly copied from the food.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Meh, they're just looking for some easy publicity. Pathetic.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:
Oh well, I'm pretty sure Vegeta's name wasn't directly copied from the food.

Actually, given the theme naming used in Dragonball, I'm pretty sure it was.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Well, Vegeta's brother's name is Table, so I'm pretty sure that they just come from the same root word: Vegetable.

Anyway, if you have the good luck to have an extremely popular character share the name of a product you invented a long time ago, then hey, go for the publicity. May as well. I mean, the company ALSO benefits from sharing the same name, as people who search for Dragonball end up learning about their product.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
They can't start a legal thing anyway. "Vegeta" is the English spelling. The Japanese spelling is actually "Bejīta"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Representatives for the character of Vegeta have said that when asked about this, he demanded they change the name to "Kakkarot", because, "Only pussies eat vegetables."

No word from the Son Goku camp, as Goku still believes television has small people inside of it, and thus hasn't ever used the internet, for fear of disturbing all the naked people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Product placement. Have Vegeta using Vegeta on his Vegetables for a commercial for them.
Jure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, something from my country on ANN... that's first. When I first learned about character Vegeta I was amused by coincidence that he share his name with something I often use to spice my food.

Anyway, I have seen this news yesterday and I am not really sure why are they bringing this up just now. It might be somehow connected with the fact that Dragon Ball will finally appear on our TV this week (yes, we are THAT much behind). One thing that did amuse me in the article I read was this (I'll try to translate it the best I can):

"In other words, that means they do not plan on suing the author of a cartoon because his character is not a spice or anything like that, but a virtual eco-conscious fighter for justice who fights against pollution in the universe."

That made me laugh. I can't really imagine Vegeta as an enviromentalist.

EDIT: Ah, I knew there is a picture of this...

Last edited by Jure on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 am; edited 3 times in total
lija89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
That's not true they didn't steal Vegeta's name,that name exists for 50 years i know that because i eat that product Smile
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
They can't start a legal thing anyway. "Vegeta" is the English spelling. The Japanese spelling is actually "Bejīta"

They couldn't start anything even if the names were identical. Trademarks only product a name within a product market, and I'm pretty sure cartoons and food aren't in the same market.

Of course, when people don't even understand the very laws they support, this type of stupidity isn't surprising anymore.

By the way: I laughed at the comment the names of DB characters were derived from this product. Would Bulma come from bulimia? Would Goku come from... "Gack! That's what's for dinner?"

Heh. A hearty chuckle to start off this glorious of Fridays.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
Jure thanks for sharing your input! That's really interesting!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Well, Vegeta's brother's name is Table, so I'm pretty sure that they just come from the same root word: Vegetable.

Anyway, if you have the good luck to have an extremely popular character share the name of a product you invented a long time ago, then hey, go for the publicity. May as well. I mean, the company ALSO benefits from sharing the same name, as people who search for Dragonball end up learning about their product.

Actually, if you go some basic searches on "Vegeta," the first results are of the DBZ character, not of the condiment.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
I actually remember the old planetnamek.com site touching on this very issue. But nothing much came out of it since everyone just dismissed it as an amusing coincidence. Smile

However, I don't see how the coinciding names will negatively effect either the anime character or the food seasoning. It's just a hilarious coincidence and if anything, it should only bolster both the brand and the character.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

They couldn't start anything even if the names were identical. Trademarks only product a name within a product market, and I'm pretty sure cartoons and food aren't in the same market.

Of course, when people don't even understand the very laws they support, this type of stupidity isn't surprising anymore.

By the way: I laughed at the comment the names of DB characters were derived from this product. Would Bulma come from bulimia? Would Goku come from... "Gack! That's what's for dinner?"

Heh. A hearty chuckle to start off this glorious of Fridays.

Actually only the Sayan race was named after vegetables (Kakkarot, Napa, Raditz, etc.).
Bulma's father was Doctor Briefs and bulmas are female gym shorts. Her son is Trunks. Get the picture?
Son Goku was named after Son Goku, the monkey god, of the Chinese story Journey to the East that Dragon Ball was loosely based upon in the beginning.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

No it isn't. "Bejīta" is not "Japanese spelling," it's romaji, an attempt to approximate Japanese pronunciation using the Roman alphabet. The Japanese "spelling" is ベジータ. What's more it's an approximation of a word that is itself originally (and obviously) an approximation and shortening of the English word "vegetable."

If spelling was in fact an issue, and it was the only issue, they could sue Viz and/or whoever distributes DBZ in their local market.

Thing is, there are much more significant reasons they can't sue.

1) Their trademark is most likely limited only to food.
2) Their trademark may only be enforceable in their local market
3) Even if their trademark extended to non-food items in international markets, they waited way, way too long. Trademarks must be enforced the moment a transgression becomes apparent.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2