• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Sun Kil Sailor Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember the lack of pre-release info for Penguindrum two years ago? The entirety of the buzz around it came from the director being Ikuhara. Right up to the day before the episode aired, we had like one or two lines of plot/character description total and a few PVs that made little or no sense out of context. All I remember knowing before watching episode 1 was that it starred a group of siblings and there would probably be penguins. (And then... "SEIZON SENRYAKU!")

The new Sailor Moon's a remake; that's a lot of information as it is. We'll have more two months from now.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Anyone remember the lack of pre-release info for Penguindrum two years ago? The entirety of the buzz around it came from the director being Ikuhara. Right up to the day before the episode aired, we had like one or two lines of plot/character description total and a few PVs that made little or no sense out of context. All I remember knowing before watching episode 1 was that it starred a group of siblings and there would probably be penguins. (And then... "SEIZON SENRYAKU!")

The new Sailor Moon's a remake; that's a lot of information as it is. We'll have more two months from now.

Now that you mention it, I do remember. I was trying to think of an anime that's release campaign was "secretive" and came up lacking; thanks for giving me an example Smile

What I really wonder is what company/distributor stands to have a chance at licensing this series, and will there be a chance they may license the old one? I've heard Funimation's name tossed around a bit, but Toei is so damn awful with their titles some times that I'm in doubt we'll EVER see a re-release of the old series (including Stars!). A Blu-Ray would be a dream come true. I have no doubt the new series will have a market over here. I just pray it streams through CR so I have a chance to see it~

On an off note, I wonder how many seasons we'll get out of this if they adapt the whole manga (which I'm hoping they do). Will we get some movies as well? I'm curious, since this seems to be a remake ala Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Wonder how it'll hold up.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of other Summer shows without much info given yet. Hell, do we even have an animated trailer for Monogatari Second Season yet? And thats by far the biggest show this summer.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm also worried with the lack of SM info... Even just ONE piece of promo art would be nice! Already sad in other Sailor Moon news, that it's once again lacking in North America when Viz Europe just licensed the WHOLE series... Waiting on a North American announcement for that still, and any info on the new series :/
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish the Answerman had speculated a bit more about Sentai's apparent very secretive ways of licensing. I am going to speculate and theorize that Sentai pretty much blind buys licenses. I am guessing the licenses acquired before or when series just start airing are relatively cheap ($35,000-40,000 per one cour).

The series that do well and show popularity are most likely dubbed and given the BD treatment. And when series bomb, Sentai can simply releasing them subbed-only and on DVD. I bet 2,500-3,000 sold copies of sub-only DVD's are enough to recoup most, if not all, expenses associated with those releases.

On the other hand, FUNi will probably be in trouble if they licensed as much as Sentai does. Why? Because of FUNi's dumb policy to freaking dub everything. That is why FUNi can most of the time only pick up ecchi, dumb comedies and minless action: shit that apparently sells a lot.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
With regards to Sentai, I think it's pretty clear at this point that this point that Crunchyroll is subsidizing many of their acquisitions, making it economical to snap up shows that would otherwise be too risky.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh pre-buzz, hell, just a quick synopsis and 90 second preview video is enough to either hook me, keep me somewhat intrigued, or repel me. I don't need constant daily updates that flood every single site I visit, but I also don't want zero information and to go into a show entirely cold.

RyanSaotome wrote:
There are plenty of other Summer shows without much info given yet. Hell, do we even have an animated trailer for Monogatari Second Season yet? And thats by far the biggest show this summer.

Sailor Moon feels like it should be different, since it's a remake of a massively long and popular series. Look at the recent DEEBZ movie, you had promos extending months before it was released, and it's a guaranteed success just by the virtue of being the preeminent shonan fightan series. "New movie on this date, we don't need to advertise, you'll go see it anyway won't you?"
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sailor Moon feels like it should be different, since it's a remake of a massively long and popular series. Look at the recent DEEBZ movie, you had promos extending months before it was released, and it's a guaranteed success just by the virtue of being the preeminent shonan fightan series. "New movie on this date, we don't need to advertise, you'll go see it anyway won't you?"

Pretty Cure generally doesn't get its info out until a month before airing, and I'd say thats a pretty good comparison to this given that they are both Toei magical girl shows. And if its like Precure, it might not start airing until a month after everything else, so we might not start seeing info on it until late June/early July.

Anyway, point is that its falling right in line with how Toei handles these things, so people shouldn't be getting into panic mode or freaking out.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
With regards to Sentai, I think it's pretty clear at this point that this point that Crunchyroll is subsidizing many of their acquisitions, making it economical to snap up shows that would otherwise be too risky.

Under angelmcazares' speculation, that would follow pretty directly ... if the streaming MG for a series is $2,000-$3,000/episode, then for 11-13 episodes per broadcast season, that is $22,000-$39,000 / broadcast season streaming MG.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
"This coming Wednesday I'm hoppin' on a plane to move to the sunnier, warmer climes of Los Angeles. The land of taco trucks, depressed film executives, and frustrated screenwriters!"

Don't forget Little Tokyo and NHK Taiga Dramas with subtitles (as far as I know only LA< San Francisco and Hawaii have the Taiga Dramas subbed).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
We Vocaloid fans have been waiting since last summer for any news of the release of the Hatsune Miku Vocaloid3 app with an English language version. We were teased back in October that it will be released "Spring 2013". Well its 2013 ,and it's spring, but still not a whimper of any news about it. It's just the Japanese way. Rolling Eyes
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I loved The Tale of Genji! I wouldn't call it "impossible" at all - it's just a Heian-era soap opera. Most contemporary English editions that I've seen come with a list of characters in the back of the book, like virtually any high fantasy series published today does - how else could we be expected to remember who is which house's bannerman in Game of Thrones?

I do agree, now that I'm done being annoyed with Brian's English teacher, that Genji had a large impact on Japanese storytelling. Apart from being considered by many scholars to be the first novel to feature psychological development in its characters, it also has a lot in common with the basic shoujo romance, right down to the bad boy hero. One theory I have read in a few places is that Murasaki read each chapter aloud as soon as she wrote it, making it a serial tale. (Of course, those were common in English language works for years as well, pretty much up to the demise of the pulp magazines. But that's another issue.)
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Pretty Cure generally doesn't get its info out until a month before airing, and I'd say thats a pretty good comparison to this given that they are both Toei magical girl shows. And if its like Precure, it might not start airing until a month after everything else, so we might not start seeing info on it until late June/early July.

Anyway, point is that its falling right in line with how Toei handles these things, so people shouldn't be getting into panic mode or freaking out.

Sailor Moon is iconic; it has nostalgia value, a broader appeal, and it's penetrated the mainstream. One would think Toei might want to build more buzz for this.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Sailor Moon is iconic; it has nostalgia value, a broader appeal, and it's penetrated the mainstream. One would think Toei might want to build more buzz for this.

So does Precure, and I'd say more people probably care about Precure than Sailor Moon in this day and age.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Well there's good buzz and bad buzz. It's up to Toei to either make a winner, or a cat for their collective backs. Pre-Cure had different designs each new season. SM was always the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5