• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft Runs Down Xbox One's Connectivity, Licensing, Privacy Features

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
At least by talking about "licensing" games rather than buying them they're being a shade more honest than usual about their desire to prevent the consumer from owning anything in exchange for their money. All at the same higher-than-ever price, of course.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
To protect your privacy, Microsoft has promised that all your data will be stored at a secure facility run by the NSA.

Laughing You mean that one in Utah that we're not supposed to talk about? Oh the things people think they know about our government...

For the general public, the funny part too is that for all we know he's/she's probably right about Microsoft storing info there. Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
These "features" look set to alienate and tick off certain parts of the X-Box video gaming base and seem quite short-sighted on Microsoft's part. It would cripple use of the used game and rental markets to acquire games depending on whatever restrictions Microsoft and game publishers set. The "daily mandatory connection" would be an issue for those don't frequently make use of Internet connections for their gaming consoles or have slow Internet connections. If MS is planning to run the X-Box One like this when it is released, then I can see them losing quite a bit of their customers because of how draconian their policies are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After purchasing a game digitally or on a disc, it is installed on the owner's Xbox One and can be played by any user. Users will have a "shared game library" that allows up to ten family members to have unlimited access at any time.

It's a bit sad this is supposed to be selling point/new and innovative feature when this has been the standard for consoles since forever.
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
They aren't getting any profit from this whole 2nd hand gaming deal.

You really think that? You really think Micro$oft would go through all this backlash that a 5 year old could have predicted if they didn't stand to gain in some way from it? Of course they are profiting in some way from it. It may not be direct money from each resale but these big publishers are definitely the ones pushing this issue with MS. MS is probably getting stuff like the exclusive FIFA content and Early Release DLC for CoD as pay-offs with the Xbone instead of paying for them like they did with the 360.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Quote:
After purchasing a game digitally or on a disc, it is installed on the owner's Xbox One and can be played by any user. Users will have a "shared game library" that allows up to ten family members to have unlimited access at any time.

It's a bit sad this is supposed to be selling point/new and innovative feature when this has been the standard for consoles since forever.

I know right.. hell Atari had this figured out in the 70's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
This really makes me wonder about the competence of the people working damage control in Microsoft's PR department.

Quote:
Any personal information stored on the Xbox One will not be shared without explicit user permission.

Of course, that wouldn't be such a big issue if the machine wasn't going to be connecting itself to the internet once an hour to babysit, or if consumers had any confidence that Microsoft wouldn't be mining the console for any sort of interesting user data. Frankly I'm amazed that Microsoft would adopt this sort of (almost) always-on tactic after the huge backlash that followed from Ubisoft's always-on DRM. I guess we don't learn from mistakes.

vulcanraven01 wrote:

People slagging off MS have clearly lost the plot.
They aren't getting any profit from this whole 2nd hand gaming deal. They have done it due to pressure from developers/publishers, and funny enough, it is their games that sell consoles.

There is no denying that games sell consoles, and so of course hardware makers will cave to publishers' demands to a certain extent. But at the end of the day, if consumers decide they've had enough and don't buy the console, all the third-party support in the world won't make any difference. I've never resold a game in my entire life, but even the suggestion that resale could be limited will make any console with that feature an automatic "no buy" unless of course the price point of new games is adjusted correspondingly. The potential resale value of the game is certainly factored into the sales price, and so if new games would be priced at say $49.99 instead of $59.99, then I would be satisfied that there's a fair tradeoff. But I'm not holding my breath there.

Last edited by victor viper on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
then you will just have to quit play certain games. Sony is going to do the samething. PC doesn't have most of the Console games.
In fact Sony already started with online pass. You have to pay a fee to play online if you bought a used game or borrow a game from a friend.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Once everything about the X1 has been confirmed I'm going to tweet/post this info all over, print out the info and pass it on to uninformed buyer/holiday shoppers hoping they will change their mind and help repel anyone else from buying this piece of crap.

And if Sony does this and Nintendo ever does this they will get the same treatment.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for making me buy a PS4 (provided they aren't as stupid).

Every feature present is a restriction, or some sort of security protocol!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
This really makes me wonder about the competence of the people working damage control in Microsoft's PR department.

Quote:
Any personal information stored on the Xbox One will not be shared without explicit user permission.

Of course, that wouldn't be such a big issue if the machine wasn't going to be connecting itself to the internet once an hour to babysit, or if consumers had any confidence that Microsoft wouldn't be mining the console for any sort of interesting user data. Frankly I'm amazed that Microsoft would adopt this sort of (almost) always-on tactic after the huge backlash that followed from Ubisoft's always-on DRM. I guess we don't learn from mistakes.

I don't want to derail either, but I have little faith in this seeing as how major Internet companies are denying their servers were even accessed but you, know, they were.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/08/us-usa-security-records-idUSBRE9560VA20130608

Quote:
The Post reported late on Thursday that U.S. authorities had been tapping into the central servers of nine internet companies - including Google, Apple, Yahoo and Facebook - to gain access to emails, photographs and other documents and files that would allow analysts to track a person's movements and contacts...Microsoft said it did not voluntarily participate in any government data collection and only complied "with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers.

The statements from the technology companies seemed to suggest the government had gone to the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to obtain orders to force cooperation from some or all of the internet companies.

They don't need your permission if it's the government. *puts on tinfoil hat*

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
double post
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Game systems have been outpacing me for awhile now. It's amazing how complex "system, controller, game, play" is. Well, system and controller were screwed up in the previous generation so now it's "game" and "play"'s turn.

Fun? Video games, no, "interactive social media titles" are serious business! And serious money, as long as many people as possible pay full price, don't loan out tiles, have small families/user base and, uh, don't play them too much?

Buy and go away, that's the deal here. Neat.
sonryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Use of the Xbox One seems awfully complicated; there are a lot of if/then requirements. Remember when you just had to plug in a cartridge to play, and you could bring it to your friends house too? Shame we'll never get back to those days lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
One other limitation not mentioned in this article is that individuals CANNOT resell or trade games. You can probably already tell from the list of conditions, but to be clear, you cannot sell used games yourself. It wouldn't work anyways since you need Microsoft's and the game publisher's permission to change its registration of who owns the game. Well, it's really who is the game licensed to.

So you can only do trade-ins or sell or buy used games at officially licensed retailers. This is the original description with updates:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-24-this-is-how-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently

Quote:
A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

Quote:
Update #2:Microsoft has finally attempted to explain its used-game strategy, and it seems like the responsibility per title will rest on publishers' shoulders. They'll set the fee a retailer must pay per copy of a resold game, and apparently none of that money will go to Microsoft.

Publishers will choose to opt-in per title and will need to select a "participating" (read: Azure/Xbox One cloud-linked) retailer to resell its games at. If a publisher decides not to opt in then that title cannot be resold or, indeed, given to a friend.

Also not mentioned here is while the Kinect camera can be turned off (presumably only while the system is off), the Kinect must still be connected to the system to function:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Therefore, you cannot physically prevent it from gathering data. It is only one hack or one government request away from having your privacy violated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3