• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gatchaman Crowds Anime's Opening Previewed Before Airing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I betcha that last person is a trap! Surprised

Geez, I didn't realize there are a few FABULOUSLY dressed men in this. Laughing
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
If anything this looks beautiful, so it has that going for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
That was a really cool OP.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I think this series should be retitled 'Citizen Kane: The Animation.' Just stick a sled in the background somewhere as a 'shoutout to the fans,' and it'll be good to go.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they're still going to have the God Phoenix or not.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'll be looking forward to this series as well as the Blu-ray set of the original series.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I think this series should be retitled 'Citizen Kane: The Animation.' Just stick a sled in the background somewhere as a 'shoutout to the fans,' and it'll be good to go.

To all the people gripping about Gatchaman Crowds not strongly resembling previous incarnations of Gatchaman... did you feel the same annoyance about Gundam Wing? How about any other reinterpretion of classic anime properties ever?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
... did you feel the same annoyance about Gundam Wing? How about any other reinterpretion of classic anime properties ever?

This show may well end up being a fine series in its own right, but based on what we've seen thus far, it seems to go beyond "reinterpretation" to the point of unrecognizability. "Gundam Wing" may be a new interpretation, but it's instantly recognizable as a Gundam show. But suppose you take away the Gatchaman title and that "G" logo, and ask: "Who is that? Who is that? Who is that?"

Would anyone say, "It's the white-winged...Gatchaman!"

I'd be thinking Tiger and Bunny sequel, myself.

So I wonder, "Why bother calling it something it doesn't (at least so far) appear to be? Why does this need to be Gatchaman?" Maybe the story will answer that. Maybe not.

This post, incidentally, is a reimagined sequel fanfic to Kamen Rider Kiva, and as such, the mods may need to remove it.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The character designs don't look bird-like enough for me. No less, I'm looking very forward to this.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, the show still has a Berg Katse. There's one connection at least to the original Gatchaman.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

To all the people gripping about Gatchaman Crowds not strongly resembling previous incarnations of Gatchaman... did you feel the same annoyance about Gundam Wing? How about any other reinterpretion of classic anime properties ever?

At least the robots and themes were there. Gatchaman is a super sentai team, the forefather of said teams. This has nothing to do with anything, the environmental messages of the original, the alien invasion, the super sentai team, none of it.

Jetman was a more faithful spiritual adaptation.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

At least the robots and themes were there. Gatchaman is a super sentai team, the forefather of said teams. This has nothing to do with anything, the environmental messages of the original, the alien invasion, the super sentai team, none of it.

And Gatchaman Crowds is a modern take on the same concepts that the original invented.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

Jetman was a more faithful spiritual adaptation.

Having watched the first episode this show is very much built around the 'super sentai' mold. A little too moe for my tastes, but its very much a Japanese super-hero show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1