• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Viz Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't ecpect Busou Renkin, Zombie Powder, and Yakitate!! Japan to be liscenced so quickly. I thought the first two had been pulled from Weekly Jump. For Busou Renkin, it started out definitely capturing my attention. But then after volume one, somehow my interest in it went down dramatically. It started out well enough, but then...oh I dunno what happened, I just didn't like it that much anymore. Now lemme see if I can resist the pull of a short series with good art.AUGH! I can't resist the darn visuals! *diseased?* As for Zombie Powder, I sensed a long series very similar to Bleach (which has an even more ambiguous direction than Bleach), but it ended short at four volumes. I don't even want to contemplate getting this, it's a no. Four volumes and not going anywhere...*sigh* and I really liked the charatcer designs too.

As for Yakitate!! Japan, it's actually the funniest thing I've ever read. (Laugh all you want.) But I think it's time for me to start loitering at the bookstore again, because there's no telling how long this series is going to be. Over 27 I guarentee. I actually would like VIZ to put a more literal translation. I think VIZ has the potential to make up some bad puns. Well, the ones in the manga were bad too, but that's just the author's...style. I do understand some of them though, like the Detectove Conan and DB super-sayan things.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Why is it I fear that Viz may edit Yakitate!! Japan?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Busou Renkin is pretty good, I think. It's nothing groundbreaking, but if you don't compare it to Ruroken while reading it definitely has its own charm. And it's very much a fighting-themed manga, even the title makes that clear with "busou" being the word for "armament". So if you like gratuitous excuses to beat up ever new weirdos and weapons, plus a bit of plot and character development/interaction for flavor, it's worth checking out.

But really, if Viz is looking into Busou Renkin, why not Gun Blaze West as well? Now there's a title that's just plain silly fun...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Why is it I fear that Viz may edit Yakitate!! Japan?

i fear anything that viz lisenses will be edited...

but... what is there to edit in yakitate? there isn't obscene things in it that i remember
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
I didn't ecpect Busou Renkin, Zombie Powder, and Yakitate!! Japan to be liscenced so quickly. I thought the first two had been pulled from Weekly Jump. For Busou Renkin, it started out definitely capturing my attention. But then after volume one, somehow my interest in it went down dramatically. It started out well enough, but then...oh I dunno what happened, I just didn't like it that much anymore. Now lemme see if I can resist the pull of a short series with good art.AUGH! I can't resist the darn visuals! *diseased?* .

simple, rurouni kenshin was a big hit, thus they are trying to get series off the same author

and i think maybe they like newer series? and that's why that didn't get gun blaze west? i dunno..
ellie_c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:54 am Reply with quote

Why?!

As if Viz haven't ruined enough of the series I enjoy already.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's surprising that Busou Renkin would get preferred over Gun Blaze West.
It was more successful, longer, and I'd guess it's got more potential to please people.

I liked Gun Blaze West, but it ended just when it got interesting. And GBW really feels cut short, while BR was given enough time to come to a conclusion.
The artwork is a factor, too, I think. GBW's simple style might be not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you've been a Kenshin fan. But I'm tempted to say that BR's artwork, on the other hand, outshines Kenshin's.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
Viz has informed us that they are unable to confirm the titles listed on Amazon.com at this time.

Well at least they're not just ignoring amazon's inaccurate listings like they used to...
Still, can't imagine them not picking up anything with Watsuki's name on it.

"at this time."

in other words, the confirmations will follow.
amazon isnt sucking random titles out of their thumb

and they didn't pick up Gun Blaze West yet... so untill now only Kenshin by Watsuki was licensed :l
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that the release of Busou Renkin (now finished in Japan from what I've heard) and Zombie Powder will happen soon.

Busou Renkin isn't exactly a love story as much as Kenshin. There is a little love between the main characters, but Kazuki (the protagonist) is utterly different from Kenshin. He's more like a male version of the ninja girl, Misao, than any of the Kenshin cast. Tokiko (the girl protagonist) isn't like any of the female cast of Kenshin either. She's more of a battle-hardened babe with the coolest idea for a weapon ever, unlike the more dependent Kaoru.

Another major difference between Kenshin and Renkin is the fact that Renkin has more of a fantasy aspect. Kenshin is basically a fictional story with characters based off real people (some of them were real) that take place in a point in history. Renkin is modern day and deals with alchemy and hommunculus. While from reading this, some may think "OMG! FMA R1POFf!!1!1!WAFFLE", but that's not really the case. Since I really don't want to put in spoilers, I'll leave it for you readers of this to find either manga scans or wait until the official announcement and release.

Zombie Powder, while not up to par with the excellent Bleach, is a good neo-western story. The series had alot of potentional, but was cancelled. The series still showed Kubotite's unique style of art, use of inhumanly large....assets on some of the female characters and his epic yet bizarre storytelling, which makes it a must see for all Bleach fans and for anyone willing to try something different.

Busou Renkin probably hasn't been given a good rep for story since the fan translators are taking so long to release it (so far, it's clocked at 1 chapter a month, considering it's a Weekly Shonen Jump title). There probably is more to that series considering it was voted for a place in Jump Superstars (and Kazuki had up to 6 block battle koma). And potential Zombie Powder readers get turned off when they learn of it's rather rushed ending and the fact it was cancelled so early. But they're both good series.
BlackenedTeardrops

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
lavothas wrote:
Busou Renkin Very Happy great manga i hope it gets releaced quickly Very Happy

Amazon release dates seem pretty likely, as Busou Renkin will probably be released as Armoured Alchemist, and it seems that viz will leave its release until after the final volume of RuroKen (To maximise profit). Don't know how likely it will be but Viz might also decide to step up the release of BLEACH temporarily, to replace RuroKen and Zombie Powder will fit in there as coming out inbetween BLEACH releases whilst they translate a few volumes ahead to be ready.

Unsure as of yet how Viz will handle Yakitate!! Japan, but from what people have said, it seems unlikely to be edited. However, there is a notice in Ultra Maniac that something may have been edited, not sure what, so that makes it seem like its possible for Yakitate being edited.

Beauty Pop and Skip Beat! will probably both be released under the Shojo Beat line, released singly rather than after being serialised. Shojo beat doesn't really have an equivalent in Japan so it seems Viz will just place whatever they wish under that line, and everything else shojo under plain shojo line.

Viz may also not want to confirm these releases YET because they're still working on transferring over the rights for English releases.

Whatever happens, I will definitely be picking up Buso Renkin and Zombie Powder when they come out, hopefully unedited.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Why would Busou Renkin be released as Armored Alchemist? Sheesh, I wish Viz had never came up with this wrong translation in the first place. How would the name have anything to do with how soon the series will get released?
tobiasender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I read Zombie Poweder.
I think Bleach and ZP started off oddly.

I ZP didn't really go anywhere until the 3rd Volume.

While i started to like ZP, i think Bleach just has a stronger draw sooner. I think they both start off kind of slow.
Bleach more so then ZP, but with good reason.

ZP was very ambigious so there where few expectations until it got pulled. The interaction was more memorable for me in bleach then the early volumes of ZP.

I'm sure though ZP would have gotten good once it got on it's feet. I remember thinking Bleach couldn't maintain a good story past 2 seasons, Anime wise, but then the plot exploded and who knows when it will end.

I don't understand why they would license a cancelled property though. Of course it's said recently that Viz won't/can't comment on these possiable new releases.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:

Busou Renkin isn't exactly a love story as much as Kenshin. There is a little love between the main characters, but Kazuki (the protagonist) is utterly different from Kenshin. He's more like a male version of the ninja girl, Misao, than any of the Kenshin cast.

i remember Watsuki saying this himself in the author notes somewhere.. when i first read that he said that, for a moment there i thought he was a different author basing of rurouni kenshin and i was like.. hey! i know that character! next time i should pay attention to who's writing what.
BlackenedTeardrops

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
"Why would Buso Renkin be released as Armoured Alchemist?"

Um, thats how its translated in the front of EVERY Rurouni Kenshin manga. Theres a bit at the start with a little bit of background information about Nobuhiro Watsuki and it says, to quote

"His most current work, Buso Renkin ("Armored Alchemist), began publication in 2003, also in jump."

Which is why I think its highly probable this will be the release title, as they've already called the series such.

And its not the name that would determine the release as you're misinterpreting, but many fans of Rurouni Kenshin who have been purchasing the manga, will after the end of Rurouni Kenshin, see Buso Renkin as a sort of fill in at the time. Thats what I was trying to imply, as if they finish Rurouni Kenshin in July and release Buso Renkin in August, they'll draw the RuroKen crowd over as it will be fresh in their minds and they'll recognise the authors name, as opposed to it being brought out months later when alot of people have finished the manga and moved onto something else.
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
BlackenedTeardrops wrote:
Um, thats how its translated in the front of EVERY Rurouni Kenshin manga. Theres a bit at the start with a little bit of background information about Nobuhiro Watsuki and it says, to quote

"His most current work, Buso Renkin ("Armored Alchemist), began publication in 2003, also in jump."

Which is why I think its highly probable this will be the release title, as they've already called the series such.

Yes, I know it says that. But there is absolutely no reason why Viz should publish this manga under a title like that. It does not just sound stupid and is way too reminiscent of FMA, it is also not a correct translation of the original title and has nothing to do with the story...
"Busou Renkin" gets its name from the weapons used by Kazuki & Co. It could be translated as "alchemic weapons", but the term is used often enough in the manga to be left untranslated...
If Viz chose the to call the manga "Armored Alchemist", people would certainly wonder why there are no armored alchemists in there at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3