• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SaiKano Complete Collection entry.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this needs correcting, but the Encyclopedia entry for the SaiKano Collection says there are 4 discs, while this thread states there being only two discs. The link provided by DKL in that thread also confirms it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
That's a very high episode count, especially since box sets are usually just the regular discs repackaged. Is there any proof other than one store's listing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I got one today, which has five disks.

Okay, I admit that I'm here to wreck havoc. Twisted Evil

Seriously, is there anyone who has bought the box can come forward and prove it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Just checked that thread referenced and a couple of people say they've seen them in stores or whatever.. still sounds unlikely as the highest ep count I've ever seen was 6eps on fruba.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Seriously, is there anyone who has bought the box can come forward and prove it?

Third time I'm mentioning this on the forum: I bought the set, and yes, it has 2 discs. Disc 1 has Episodes 1-7, and Disc 2 has Episodes 8-13 and the extras that I mentioned on the previously referenced thread. Besides, Zac was giving this away as a prize, how much more proof do you need, dormcat? Confused
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Okay, okay, I've corrected the release info. I can't change the wrong "4 pc" description on Amazon's link, though; it's their fault.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I know the issue has been resolved, but I just remembered this thread and wanted to show some hard evidence, now that I have the DVDs myself Anime catgrin.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
- 2 Discs with 13 eps.
- Bilingual
- With omake

Geez, the image quality must have suffered a great deal. I wonder why American licensors love to sacrifice A/V qualities for more episodes per disc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The video didn't seem that bad at all. I've seen bootlegs with the same amount of episodes and extras, and I can say the quality was better by leaps and bounds in comparison. But then again, both groups probably use different DVDs and stuff.

I'll try to post some screencaps for you sometime later Wink.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Geez, the image quality must have suffered a great deal. I wonder why American licensors love to sacrifice A/V qualities for more episodes per disc.

Well, here is the question I have for Tony, biliano, or anyone else who has this set: Are the DVDs single-sided or dual-sided? (i.e. is there a "Side A" and "Side B" to each DVD?) While it's possible to squeeze the amount of space necessary for 13 eps plus extras onto two DVD-9 (Dual-Layer, Single-Sided) DVDs, when accounting for multiple audio and subtitle streams, it *should* be pushing things bitrate wise on the video encodes. DVD-18 (Dual-Layer, Double-Sided) DVDs would not be anywhere near capacity though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
They are single-sided, dual-layered. I don't remember any pixelation, though I was kind of busy paying attention to the story. The audio was clear with no apparent dropouts in the 2.0 DD Japanese, but I only watched it once through in that language and don't know if the English track might have any problems.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The audio was clear with no apparent dropouts in the 2.0 DD Japanese

My discs (and most DVD licensed by Proware) came with uncompressed linear PCM for sound, which is much better than DD and even DTS. While I watch most anime with a headset instead of a home theater, it's better to have higher bit rates in two channels rather than lower bit rates in 5.1 channels.

I'll provide screencaps later tonight.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
OK, I wasn't really sure on what to cap in particular, but here are a few:

Episode 01, 1:37
Episode 02, 2:22
Episode 05, Part B, 3:10
Disc 2 Menu
Family Theater, 0:14
Family Theater, 2:26
Family Theater, 22:31
Family Theater, 22:37

Let me know if there is any specific scene you want me to cap.

EDIT: Changed the link names and added times.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
OK, I wasn't really sure on what to cap in particular, but here are a few:

Ouch. You should at least give me the timestamp to find respective frames to capture.

1. EP1 01:36
2. EP1 02:21
3. (I don't have enough time to search for this frame...)
4. Menu, Special Disc (my boxset doesn't have the same menu anyway)
5. Family Theater, title
6. Family Theater, 02:26
7. Family Theater, 22:30
8. Family Theater, 22:36

Player/capturer: PowerDVD 4.0
Batch conversion (from BMP to JPG): FastStone Photo Resizer 1.4, with highest (100) quality, Optimal Huffman, and Progressive.

Looks like both R1 and R3 use 4:3 LB for the show, with different resolutions (640x480 for R1; 720x540 for R3). R3 has much better details for the show, but despite with larger screen size it seems to have less details for omake.

Oh, and don't forget to click on Chise's pager when it beeps (if you wait long enough in the menu screen of the Special Disc).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Whoops, sorry about not including times. I was in a hurry to make these. I didn't get much sleep, so my eyes were bad enough as it is (and I wear glasses, which only makes me squint more after a while Anime smallmouth).

Uh.. I guess my player/capturer is an InterVideo WinDVD 4, and I converted the caps from BMP to JPG using ArcSoft Photostudio 2000. Er.. not much else to it Anime smile + sweatdrop.

Anyway, the R3 appears to be a bit sharper, with better contrast, and more vibrant colors. The text for the manga covers in the omake looks a bit fuzzy on yours, but the video quality for the show itself is much better than mine Evil or Very Mad.

And I don't think my menu has an Easter Egg on it, though I'll check again tomorrow. I'll also edit the times into mine and get you the one for the Akemi cap. Again, sorry Anime dazed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2