• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many discs in the Saikano Collection?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm asking in the right place, but here goes.

Anyone who has the Saikano Collection, could you tell me the number of discs it has?

I browsed around a number of online stores for it, and some places are telling me it has four discs, whereas some places are telling me it only has two.

Also, what about extras? If the collection is just only two discs, will I still have the extras? For an SRP of $80, I sure hope so.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, everybody!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
I haven't bought it but I know it's two disks cause I've seen it in stores. I think it still has all the extras, but I'm not sure.
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I haven't bought it but I know it's two disks cause I've seen it in stores. I think it still has all the extras, but I'm not sure.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing things up. I asked because I imagine it would have been pretty tough to fit extras in after putting all 13 episodes on two discs.

Also, like I said before, with an SRP of around $80, Viz could have at least put something other than the episodes on the discs to make it somewhat worth the price.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote
There is a small behind the dub scenes feature with the dub cast and the director Elaine Clark, who happens to be my friends mother on the second DVD. I think there is also a textless OP, ED but can't remember.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
The region 1 Saikano collection box set (the one with the MSRP of $79.99) is four discs. The two disc ones y'all are talking about are probably bootlegs.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
I suspect that the two-disc sets are bootlegs as well. Could you give us links to some of the stores that you were looking at?
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
NO, the set is TWO DISCS... and I hear that the content on it is new...

I bought it at FRYs and it's only 20$ there... GO TO FRYs to get the thing and save money

... oh and here:

http://search.deepdiscountdvd.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=saikano
----------------

sorry if I sound demanding, but I have to get that info out since you save a lot of money!
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
DDD has it two disks. The description says that it includes volumes one through four (the content, that is), but the box set is two disks.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
The region 1 Saikano collection box set (the one with the MSRP of $79.99) is four discs. The two disc ones y'all are talking about are probably bootlegs.

one3rd wrote:
I suspect that the two-disc sets are bootlegs as well. Could you give us links to some of the stores that you were looking at?

Anthony P and one3rd: Apperantly, you two weren't paying attention to the recent Answerman columns. Zac was giving this collection away as a prize; now why would someone at ANN give away a collection if it was a bootleg? Confused

I bought the SaiKano collection from DeepDiscountDVD.com a month ago, and the set is a 2-disc collection. Disc One contains Episodes 1-7, and the second disc contains Episodes 8-13 and the following extras:

- Clean Opening and Ending Theme Songs
- Talk Show: "Family Explores" with seiyuus Shiro Ishimoda(Shuji), Fumiko Orikasa(Chise), and Shinichiro Miki (Tetsu). There is also a nice piece on Shin Takahasi that displays his thoughts on his masterpiece, along with other insights about the anime. Definitely an extra feature that's very enjoyable and educational to watch, and I recommend that you watch it if you decide to get the set.
- U.S. recording scenes with the English voice actors along with their thoughts on the anime.

And since you asked so nicely, here is the release information on the SaiKano box set for your infromation.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
And since you asked so nicely, here is the release information on the SaiKano box set for your infromation.

Which says "SaiKano - Complete Collection (DVD 1-4)" and Amazon $71.99 Saikano: The Complete Box Set (4 pc) (2005)," which suggest four discs rather than two. There's some bad information somewhere.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I was also going to say that the AnswerMan columns have had that SaiKano boxed set for awhile, and it's not like ANN would give away bootlegs. This set is one of the few legitimate 2-disc sets that I've ever seen for a 13-episode series, Record of Lodoss War OVA being another. (Some 12/2 collections exist, like Sakura Diaries, Sentimental Journey, Seraphim Call, and so forth.) So in some respects, it's not hard to fault someone for thinking "13 eps, 2 discs=bootleg."

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
biliano wrote:

Which says "SaiKano - Complete Collection (DVD 1-4)" and Amazon $71.99 Saikano: The Complete Box Set (4 pc) (2005)," which suggest four discs rather than two. There's some bad information somewhere.

You and I seem to stand corrected, hombre. Anime Castle and DVD Empire do offer a two-disc Saikano r1 complete collection, and they appear legit. Silly me! Although, you think they'd knock the price down a little lower for two discs.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
there are 2 disc in it try checking the site that made the item and not other sites http://store.viz.com/product/DBSKO0001/s.aoGmPm03
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
ADV also has packed seven episodes on their thinpak editions as well. The two Saikano discs come in standard sized DVD clamshells in a two disc sized cardboard box. The top part of the spine says "critic's choice" and the bottom has the Viz Media logo. The liner notes only have chapter listings and an ad for the manga, with a cool picture on the flip side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1