• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question, what qualifications are needed for the Omnibus?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:32 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell it's a variety of things from anime that are part of a series (Brave Saga) to anime that was shown on a TV block (Anime Complex). When Submiting for this section what should be taken into consideration?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:07 am Reply with quote
Well, the omnibus category is basically a super-group for anime titles. Originally I called it "meta-anime". I know it's a bit awkward, but I couldn't find any other name to describe this. What to take into consideration... Let's say that: as episodes are part of a series, a series can be part of an omnibus anime. It's kind of a multi-use category, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:41 am Reply with quote
So basicly if a group of titles have a common bond then they can have a listing in the Omnibus right? Obviously a bunch of titles that fit a single genre wouldn't count, but titles that all take place in the same universe, such as the various Leiji Matsumoto space operas, could have a listing to show they're all related, is that correct?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:07 am Reply with quote
Technically you're correct, but I don't want the omnibus category to become too crowded. I mean, if you started creating omnibus titles for all anime that take place in the same universe (one omnibus for every anime that has sequels)... that could make a LOT of omnibuses. For example, you could create an omnibus title for the Gundam universe, but if you look at the original Gundam (TV), you'll find that many of the Gundam universe titles are listed under it (as sequels or other). And theoretically all the Gundam titles should be listed under there. So there's no need to make an omnibus anime for the Gundam universe. But if you take the World Masterpiece titles, nothing links them together... apart from being World Masterpiece titles. So an omnibus anime is needed to link them together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1