• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Submitting reviews: e-mail just bounces.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
Erm... the other week, I actually sat down and wrote a review of a fairly recent release for which no review has yet been posted.

I tried submitting it the official way as specified in the FAQ, sending an e-mail with a Word document attachment to [email protected] with a subject line starting with "Sample Review:", but it bounced.

Quote:
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown

Thinking it might just be a full mailbox or something, I waited a few days and then submitted it again just now, with identical results.

Would it be possible to send it to one of the other addresses listed on the "Contact Us" page, or should I just try the backdoor way, by talking to one of the editors on AIM?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
That response means quite literally that there is no user (email address) [email protected] on the ANN mail server.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Yes, I can see that, I'm just thinking that it's one of those weird automated mailer daemon thingies where, if a mailbox is full, it might just say that it's not there. Wink

Of course, if the address is really not there anymore, they should either make it be there again or modify their FAQ and give another e-mail address that's a bit less illusory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
What!? Users are allowed to send in reviews? I thought only staff could do it. I'm guessing it will have to be pretty in depth and well written for it to be approved though. I had no idea we were able to do this though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I already have two posted on this site, but they're from years ago (one of them, of Urusei Yatsura vol. 20, having technically been written in a previous century).

I also once wrote this orphaned review of the Ah My Goddess movie that I didn't submit because Allen Divers evidently had one in the works too at the time. (Good thing I didn't submit it, because it doesn't really have a concluding paragraph, though I forget whether I just forgot to write one or whether Allen Divers' review was posted before mine was finished. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )

This one's much better than either of those to which I just linked.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yes, I can see that, I'm just thinking that it's one of those weird automated mailer daemon thingies where, if a mailbox is full, it might just say that it's not there.

Well, they normally don't proclaim a user doesn't exist if the mailbox is full.. and if you get a permanent error, then someone must have killed the address.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1