• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Build-A-Ninja Sweepstakes!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
konohajillian wrote:
(My entry was IWAKO NINJOU, I sent it as Jillian W, konohajillian...what other info might you need?)

that's good; there will be posting of images. I'd like to see more pics!

Wow, you were a finalist. You're already in the queue to be in the gallery. I'll PM you with my other comments.
Prax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BTW, thanks for changing my gender!
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Indeed Master Zac I have no doubt you stand by your chosen winne and I respect your judgement, even though I'm sure, had I seen all entered contestant entries, I would almost surely disagree.

I have a few questions.

The first is concerning my own entry. I know that you probably do not wish to grant every request made by contestants, but I find that mine is slightly exceptional. My entry was made after the deadline. Almost an exact day to be honest,for confusion with the contest deadline. The 12:01 AM Friday, Thursday situation, I blame Adult Swim. However I do not want to make such excuses. I wish to know whether or not my entry was reviewed and weighed in the contest (for the final rule stated was that Anime News Network reserved the right to change the rules and I, hoping for a miracle and a chance to succeed in the competition entered my ninja after the deadline anyways) or if my entry was discarded or simply not recognized or if it was even seen at all. Please let me know.

Also, is my late entry eligible for the gallery?

Congratulations to all the winners.

I'll leave my qualms concerning the victors to myself.

Thank you for your time and the opportunity.

Jeffrey Langley
[email protected]

Contest Entry: Teishu Ken (kinda memorable, i hope anyways)

Last edited by hentaiguy on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
hentaiguy wrote:

The first is concerning my own entry. I know that you probably do not wish to grant every request made by contestants, but I find that mine is slightly exceptional. My entry was made after the deadline. Almost an exact day to be honest,for confusion with the contest deadline. The 12:01 AM Friday, Thursday situation, I blame Adult Swim. However I do not want to make such excuses. I wish to know whether or not my entry was reviewed and weighed in the contest (for the final rule stated was that Anime News Network reserved the right to change the rules and I, hoping for a miracle and a chance to succeed in the competition entered my ninja after the deadline anyways) or if my entry was discarded or simply not recognized or if it was even seen at all. Please let me know.

Congratulations to all the winners.

I'll leave my qualms concerning the victors to myself.

Thank you for your time and the opportunity.

Jeffrey Langley
[email protected]

I have to be honest here; after the deadline I had to stop looking at new entries. The deadline was, I felt, very clear; if you've ever bought a midnight ticket to a movie, it'll be for 12:01 AM the next day.

Simply put, it would have been unfair to the other contestants had I considered new entries submitted after the (already extended) deadline. Rules are rules, and if I don't follow them, they mean nothing (since I wrote them!).

In any case, I took a look at your entry and I have to say it's very impressive. Had this been submitted before the deadline ended, it would have definitely been a contender. I love the 'Fist of the North Star' art style; it'll definitely be in the gallery.

Thanks for your submission.
hentaiguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Understood.

Thanks for the compliment, even though I've never seen Fist of the North Star, though I am aware of its existence. Can't wait to see the rest.

...Do u mean how he's like,,all tall and whatnot? lol
StarstormVGN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
konohajillian wrote:
May I suggest that us non-winners post LINKS to our own entries on this forum thread? I was planning on putting mine on my website. We spent all this time, I think we oughta share for whoever wants to browse through other entries.

Heh, I'd already nearly finished putting my characters on my site for my friends to see. Can we post links to such pages here? =o
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
DAMN!!!!

Those ninjas were HOT!!!

I had absolutely NO SHOT against those. Even though I put more effort into that than anything else in my life, I still got owned. I really wish that I'd have known I was going up against that kind of art. Otherwise I wouldn't have devoted so much time into my drawing. I failed two tests just to work, but when compared to the winners, you could mistake it for a pile of crap.

Either way, I had lots of fun. And as I have said before, good job to all who participated, and even more good job to the winners. Because if those drawings were real people, I'd ask them out. They are that sexy!
Child Of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
[Do not double post. Use the Edit button. -Nagi]
Sango chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
can't wait to see the gallery.

Last edited by Sango chan on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Geez, this contest was popular, I mean, compared to the other contests here. Well, Naruto and all... it should be expected to draw attention. I didn't enter this one, wasn't really that interested in the prizes (would rather have the uncut Naruto DVDs) and I really stood no chance of winning even if I did enter. Of course, with it being this popular, the competition gets stronger, and with the competition stronger, more effort is put into the entries. Yes, the winning entries were superb, a lot of effort was put into them. The best part about popular contests like this is seeing the winners, they're always great. Congratulations to the winners.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Child Of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the the balance of good art and backstory should be used to determine the winner, but also that everyones backstory should at least be taken into consideration, and that the winners should have their char's background up for others to read.
konohajillian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Unless the moderators have an objection, I say we post links to our entries.

Here's mine:
http://www2.truman.edu/~jillian/iwako.html
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
konohajillian wrote:
Unless the moderators have an objection, I say we post links to our entries.

Here's mine:
http://www2.truman.edu/~jillian/iwako.html

...your entries are being posted in a gallery later this week. Everyone who emails me will be in the gallery and I'll try and publish as many of the entries as I have; there are over 600 entries, however, and I can't justify publishing that many entries.

Just as well, backstories are frequently very long and other than to provide the entry with a token service, I'm not sure other folks would really read through the whole thing. The artwork alone is very nice and will give people an idea of the other entries I recieved.

Also, Konohajillian, I hope you got my email.
Child Of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
wow, i feel stupid, my ninja was Hiko Uchiha. i cant believe i forgot to post that. and yes i know teh whole "other surviving member of teh uchiha clan" is lame, but you have to read teh backstory for it to make sense.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
The artwork is quite impressive, as well as the amount of effort put into the character bios. I'm also impressed with the ANN staff for narrowing down hundreds of entries.

Shocked 149 posts!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14