• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
name of mangaka misspelled: oh great! (#5768)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drone9
ANN News Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I just sent an error report about his real name being misspelled. he is not called Ogure Korehito but Ogure Ito, hence the romanized version Oh!Great. (see ie his Wikipedia (Japanese)) and that's exactly how the romanized name should be spelled: "Oh!Great" and not "Oh Great!". only a minor issue, but still something that imo should be corrected.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Strange, the Encyclopedia does not allow special symbols in the name field. How was this entry created then? Rolling Eyes I can't create a new one to replace it.

BTW, drone9, please stop submitting links to other encyclopedia (e.g. Wiki) or database (e.g. Hatena Diary). Please remove them promptly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
drone9
ANN News Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

BTW, drone9, please stop submitting links to other encyclopedia (e.g. Wiki) or database (e.g. Hatena Diary). Please remove them promptly.

sure
drone9
ANN News Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
after removing all concerned links (hope I didn't miss any), what's the reason not to include them in the database? due to their different nature, they hold a lot of information that will probably never make it into the encyclopedia. I'm sure neither Wiki nor Hatena::Diary will mind the links and it makes the encyclopedia entries more complete, doesn't it? or am I'm missing something here?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I knew you'd ask. Wink

drone9 wrote:
I'm sure neither Wiki nor Hatena::Diary will mind the links and it makes the encyclopedia entries more complete, doesn't it?

I'm not very certain about their link policy. I'd say most webmasters wouldn't mind.

However, once Wiki or Hatena is allowed, then in order to be fair we have to allow links to other encyclopedia (e.g. Everything2), databases (SDb, .lain, Les voix, CrystalAcids, D2_Station, IMDb, JMDb, SF Movie, etc., etc.), other anime-oriented websites (Anime Academy, Animenfo, Anime Web Guide, etc.), and even message boards dedicated to a specific title or person. This is NOT what we want to see. After all, if someone wants to obtain further information, there's always Google.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
michaeljamespinto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
An aside: The main way Google finds a page is by legit links to that page from a top ranked website. So at this point Anime News Network is one of the highest ranking anime references for Google. So if you're running a lesser known wiki or large fan review website having that stamp of approval from ANN means a great deal in terms of those sites getting any ranking.

Might you think of adding a wiki/review links section? It would mean a great deal to us lesser sites...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1