• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Lupin III TV Project to Be a Special This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
This is a very interesting (read: disappointing) turn of events.

Have already shot an email off to my Japanese contact. Hopefully he will provide additional insights.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Sigh this sucks I was hoping for a full season but its better then nothing
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
fudge everything about that! I was so excited about a new Lupin TV series...

Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing, I hope it's good.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Lupin III fan, but I hadn't heard this 'new series' rumor, so I don't have to be disappointed! I can just be excited about the new TV Special!
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
As I posted on the Lupinthe3rd.com forums, I got in touch with a reliable Japanese source. Apparently this contradictory news is hitting Japan as well. The original announcement card explicitly said "Lupin III - Newest TV Series - Fall Broadcast Decided!" But the reports coming on various Japanese news sites (not NTV's official website or anything that has aired on NTV, just news sites) are reporting a TV Special, not series. ANN wisely notes the contradiction of announcement vs. follow-up, here. But apparently, we're all just waiting on confirmation that the news is, in fact, false.

There's a bit too much "coincidence" going into this to say that the next project is a TV Special, not a Series. For instance:
- The original announcement said "TV Series." There are screencaps to prove it.
- NTV does not announce Lupin TV Specials 4-6 months early. They let them magically appear on the "Kinyo Roadshow" page of upcoming films about a month before airing. That's usually all the notification we get.
- The last TV special was called "The Last Job," implying a sort of finality.
- All previous TV Specials, including "The Last Job" (but excluding "Lupin vs. Conan," presumably for licensing reasons) were recently released in a complete Blu-ray boxed set.

I think too many things are in place to say that something other than "yet another TV movie" is happening, here. I remain optimistic about a forthcoming Lupin series until I witness a double-confirmation down the line. I think we might have a basic case of wires being crossed, or perhaps a left hand (NTV Public Relations) not knowing what the right hand (TMS Entertainment) is doing.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting this turn around, but least it's still a new Lupin anime. I'm still hoping they'll create a good story or atleast something that doesn't resemble the last TV special. Not saying it was awful, just the Last Job wasn't rank as "Excellent" but as "Good" in my book.

I can think of some good ideas that haven't occured yet for a Lupin III anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I would have wanted a full reboot series. Having just another TV special doesn't bode well, as the past five or six have been pretty lame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, I would have wanted a full reboot series. Having just another TV special doesn't bode well, as the past five or six have been pretty lame.

Lupin III in general is very much hit and miss. It's almost always fun, but it definitely ranges from fairly mediocre to fantastic. I don't think that there's any way to know how good or bad Lupin III anything is going to be before seeing it.

Regardless of that though, I've got to wonder how long they can go before either giving up or replacing the whole cast. They're all getting fairly old. Even Lupin's replacement isn't exactly young. I kind of wonder if all of them could even handle dubbing a series.

Still, it'll be good to get more Lupin III in whatever form.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Kanichi Kurita isn't young, but I'm sure he can still play the part for atleast another 30 years depending how good his health is.

Though I couldn't agree more that the other four remaining cast members are showing their age. I love the fact that they've been doing voice work for Lupin for more than 40 years. But there'll have to be a time when those four will have to step down. Goro Naya is the only one I'm thinking who doesn't look like he'll last that much longer.

I'm not trying to be mean, but those who seeing the last few TV specials and the Red Vs. Green OAV can tell how his voice for Zenigata isn't as lively as it use to been. I even compared his voice in the recent ones with the older Lupin anime just to see if I could hear a difference.

No matter who does the voices for this upcoming TV special, I'll still look forward to it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Not to be cruel, but Eiko Masuyama just isn't seductive or sultry sounding anymore as Fujiko. She's supposed to be a sex bomb. She sounds like Masako Nozawa now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, they've been doing it for a long time, and they've done an excellent job on the whole, but there are limits, particularly when old age sets in.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Not to be cruel, but Eiko Masuyama just isn't seductive or sultry sounding anymore as Fujiko. She's supposed to be a sex bomb. She sounds like Masako Nozawa now.

I know what you mean, everytime I watch the recent Lupin anime, I still find Fujiko sexy, except I couldn't hide the fact that she's voiced by an actress who's old enough to be someone's grandmother. I always have that strange feeling everytime I watch the more recent TV specials.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
But Jigen still sounds the same, cool as ever.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Very true, I hardly notice any change in his voice after watching the previous TV specials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1