• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV Meets Lightning Returns in Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering something. Is FFXIII like Tingle from LOZ? What I mean is that the Japanese love him, but Americans hate him. Does Japan love FFXIII enough to justify all of Lightning's appearances?
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
They absolutely adore Light in Japan. She's frequently voted as a favorite video game character, favorite female character, etc. Personally, I adore her too. I honestly don't understand the hate FFXIII gets here, and the things people say make me wonder if we played the same game and if people paid any attention...

I wonder if it's a matter of one person in a good position to be heard voiced their majorly negative opinion, and so many people went into the game with that mindset and expecting to hate it, so they did. It's very much true that you're likely to agree with an assessment someone you know/like/often agree with if you hear it before going into it. I just don't see how it could've gotten such a bad rap for things it isn't even guilty of otherwise.

My biggest peeve is "There's no character development!" ...Really? The characters weren't even remotely the same at the end!

(Sorry, I'm not really ranting at you, I don't even know what your personal opinion was, or if you were making the statement based on all the talk about the game. It's just something I see a lot of and it bothers me)

*ahem* All that being said though...

WTF is up with the ACN/SCH/SMN weapon!? O___O Why is it Hope's boomerang copied and layered to make a "book"? I mean, I know the boomerang opened and closed, but... all the other weapons are so epic, and then there's... that. Which makes me sad 'cause ACN was my starting class and I originally planned to go SCH, though I did decide to change my main to CNJ/WHM...

I kinda wanna level MRD for that sexy axe though... (and ARC and GLA and...)

I wonder if it's gonna be some kind of dungeon, or if it'll be Fates like the Return of the King ones... I HOPE it's Fates that pop in various zones for all levels, or an event dungeon in the way that GW2 does it where it'll level you up to max so no one misses out. If it's max level dungeon and you HAVE to be max level to get in it, then... I have an awful lot of grinding to do between now and then Q__Q
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked FFXIII quite a bit, I really did, but I still don't see why there has to be 3 of them. The trailers I have seen for Lightning Returns don't look that great, but I'll wait and see what the reviews say. As far as Lightning goes, I thought she was an alright character, but I liked some of the other characters better.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Japan likes Lightning, I'm sure someone will say "oh character polls" ,but those seem pretty pointless. All I have to say is that XIII-2 did'nt sell as well as XIII even in Japan, so maybe even in Japan XIII has a sizable dislike.

What I can say is that I'm really annoyed that Square is so intense in pushing this character thats not even that great. I have never seen them push a character as much, it's like they believe if they wish really hard people will like her. It's kind of sickening.

I also belive XIII was ok, but XIII-2 was god awful. I really wish they had just moved on from XIII and not made sequels.

That said, Lightning Returns looks pretty good as a game. The story, art, ect whatever all looks pretty trashy though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
SE are really pushing FF XIV and I'm loving it. It feels great that they keep throwing perks at us. Want the game free for PS4 because you have it already on PS3? Boom! You got it! You like Lightning? Boom! You got her in the game too!

But who can use Lightning's sword in FF XIV? The gladiators only use short swords and the maruaders only use axes and hammers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1