• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Evil Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind that streaming video game footage is illegal if the company doesn't want you to. We've given permission to everyone who has asked us (as do most indie devs), but some companies don't, and still other companies will give permission but only if you're not going to try to monetize your videos.

Even though there may be a few people making a living off of video game commentaries, it's really not a wise endeavor since at any second, the companies whose games they're streaming could change their minds and force them to pull their videos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
You're underestimating backlash by the gaming audience if companies take down stuff like LP's.
When the subject of Nintendo opting in to get a slice of the ad revenue for YouTube videos featuring their games (which, aside from being copyright holders anyway, they are allowed to do as specified in YouTube's own policies) came up as a news topic, it got a lot of attention. A lot of people disliked Nintendo for that.

In a way, this is similar to doujinshi in Japan. The audience has become accustomed enough to its existence, that trying to do something about it will probably just incur sufficient enough bad press to make it not worth pursuing.

Doujinshi are totally different because they are made up of entirely original artwork by the artist. A doujin artist's artwork is their own, even if they use copyrighted characters so companies are more lenient on that than just taking actual footage and audio from a show or game and repackaging it like YouTube and Twitch people do. Doujinshi artist don't just repackaged a manga volume and changed the dialog in the speech bubbles and added some commentary notes on the side of the panels or something like that which is what Let's Playing is or like what a Let's Watch would be Smile Plus we gotta remember Japan is different from America and Let's Plays are not popular or a thing in Japan just like doujinshi and aren't a thing here.. Japanese companies are less likely to care or allow that kinda stuff than American companies because it's not relevant to them so giving gaijin permission to mock or make fun of them seems kinda dumb and why would they do that?

RDespair wrote:
Even though there may be a few people making a living off of video game commentaries, it's really not a wise endeavor since at any second, the companies whose games they're streaming could change their minds and force them to pull their videos.

Shocked It always scares me to think about betting my cost living off making online videos... companies can just decide to shut you down one day, a company could buy YouTube and change the policies, or you could just lose your audience one day because people stop caring about you. A lot of big YouTubes are already losing viewership over the years so while it might sound fun to be your job it's not very reliable. Plus do ya really see yourself doing that in 20-40 years? It's kinda sad to think of a 60 year old man screaming into a microphone and playing Minecraft for a living because he has no other job experience or a 401K to rely on? Sad I'd feel a bit sorry for those people.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
I have any number of commentary tracks I've never bothered listening to. I was almost in a fan commentary once, but the licensor shot it down so I don't know how it would have turned out. I've never even seen MST3K so have never understood all the fuss about it. The general point of commentaries though, is to find out information about the show from the people who made it. Anime commentaries by the English VAs are a mixed bag - some of them are amusing or informative, others are dire and boring; I think the only commentaries I've ever had a second listen to are the ones for End of Evangelion and Vexille.

One little thing to add - companies can make money off fan videos on YouTube; they can choose, rather than removing a video, to take a cut of the ad revenue. I've seen Kadokawa so this for Lucky Star clips.

Quote:
Why use Content ID?
Make Money. Hundreds of media companies have signed up already, multiplying their inventory of monetisable videos.
Fan Interaction. Turn your fans into marketers and distributors of your content - while letting them interact with their favourite content.
Reduce Infringement. Educate your fans about your copyright preferences and prevent your content from being distributed on YouTube without your permission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I do not buy very much anime, but the ones I do buy I import from Japan when I have the funds. I do feel buying original Japanese releases supports the team more than buying western releases. Although to be perfectly honest most of the shows I have bought and supported were never licensed in this country to begin with so there is little option there. If you don't have much money, I might suggest importing the manga or light novel source material if there is one which are much cheaper to do. Anime is also made to boost sales of the source material so supplementing those sales is another way you can help out.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
That first response brought back memories of Brian Hanson (ex-Answerman) dream-crushing the "how to I get my manga published" questions.

Entertaining and informative column and comments.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac wrote:
Well you definitely seem like you have a great sense of humor!

jsevakis wrote:
I submit that if you are the sort of person who gets butthurt...

Ya know, it seems to me that you guys have two options here:

A) You can be super condescending to the guy in response to his offhand idea.

OR

B) You can tell him not to get upset in response to your not thinking it will work.

But ya can't really do both.

Note that Justin picked (b). He was not super condescending in his response to the offhand idea. The question reads like, "hey, I got this idea, would it work and would it be legal?" and the answer, "Its not likely to work and its certainly not legal" would be a quite useful answer to have before investing a lot of effort into the idea.

In real life, even successful entrepreneurs have more dud ideas than good ones ... they are successful because they filter out the duds.

Justin may have been a bit condescending after the person who posed what seemed like an offhand idea posted multiple defensive forum posts trying to "win" the exchange. But then, based on those responses, the tone of the original question was deceptive ... it gave no hint at all that there was a "and if you do not give an encouraging answer, I'm going to get butthurt about it" lurking behind it.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:

Doujinshi are totally different because they are made up of entirely original artwork by the artist.

...and Let's Plays are not popular or a thing in Japan just like doujinshi and aren't a thing here...

1) Don't forget that, partially due to the nature of the format, it wasn't/isn't too uncommon for professionals in the field to have come from the doujinshi scene itself. Thus, they understand its contribution personally and would probably protest a law or movement to stop it, even if it IS illegal. I believe there have been a few minor cases where the doujinshi did anger the publishers, too, either because they resembled the original product too much (and confused readers, who thought it WAS the original product) or because it started to actually interfere with the sales/reputation of the product itself.

2) As a frequent NicoNico goer, I know for sure that Let's Play videos of games are popular over there, too. In fact, some play the games with special rules, like the guy who played Pokemon Ruby with just a Golden Koiking/Magicarp (and his videos opened and ended with edits of the game and parodies of other things to relate to his playthrough).
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
I rarely import stuff but sometimes I feel it is necessary in extreme situations such as Watamote and Chihayafuru (extreme as in I f*cking love it to death). Fortunately Watamote is getting some NA love now, but Chihayafuru, not so much.

I've heard that sometimes Japanese Blu-ray releases have English subtitles since they are the same region encoding. Is this true for all anime Blu-ray releases, or just some? Does anyone know if Chihayafuru Blu-ray comes subbed?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
I've heard that sometimes Japanese Blu-ray releases have English subtitles since they are the same region encoding. Is this true for all anime Blu-ray releases, or just some? Does anyone know if Chihayafuru Blu-ray comes subbed?

Just a few, not including Chihayafuru's Blu-rays. It's more on stuff they are either hoping or counting on imports from. Unfortunately, there isn't enough of an apparent demand for Chihayafuru. Its got its small fanbase in the West, but the series is just too niche for Japanese companies to even believe that the importing Western audiences would enjoy it.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
</3
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Chihaya is a situation where fans read and buy the manga, probably watch the series on television, but don't buy the discs. It sells fairly low for such a well-liked series, especially when you consider they packed it in boxsets and had it discounted.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
While I'm not inclined to import DVDs and Blu-Rays without subtitles, and at insane Japanese prices, I always get the impression from longtime anime fans that buying other merchandise, such as figures, etc, have a bigger impact.

It's a good question to ask. Although I don't buy toys, I do have a thing for anime T-shirts with cool graphics.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
If I really love a TV anime I will import it. Started with Kojika back in '09. I just had to have it. Always new items NEVER used and no more than four cours a year (<$1500 USD). I'll usually just stick to the streaming. I rarely buy domestically. There have been exceptions, like DURARARA!! and Madoka Magica, that were bought to watch with my girlfriend. Also, if I like a certain company I'll usually stick with them till the end.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, I wanted to revisit this topic because I think some people got the idea that buying the American versions has little to no good effect on the show's creators. I don't think that's quite accurate.
Indeed, discussion of this issue on some sites would have us believe that overseas distributors are some kind of legal bootleggers who manage to hoodwink the Japanese producers into letting them distribute anime without any kind of payment whatsoever. And that just segues into a justification for not buying anything whatsoever, as in "Well, buying American releases only profits those filthy dubbers even when they don't produce English dubs, but the Japanese releases are too expensive and don't have English subs."
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, Chihaya is a situation where fans read and buy the manga, probably watch the series on television, but don't buy the discs. It sells fairly low for such a well-liked series, especially when you consider they packed it in boxsets and had it discounted.

Yes. We can only assume that the publisher thought there was a boost to print sales from the anime, possibly aided by mass market merch, since its hard to see the second series getting funded on the back of the BD/DVD sales.

Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
That said, I wanted to revisit this topic because I think some people got the idea that buying the American versions has little to no good effect on the show's creators. I don't think that's quite accurate.
Indeed, discussion of this issue on some sites would have us believe that overseas distributors are some kind of legal bootleggers who manage to hoodwink the Japanese producers into letting them distribute anime without any kind of payment whatsoever. ...

In addition, there is often what seems like a demand for a mechanical relationship between their money leaving their hand and the bottom line of the Japanese creators, so that they can imagine the gratitude of the Japanese creators to getting that $5 (or whatever) royalties ...

... which is strictly impossible to satisfy in either a royalties in advance or Minimum Guarantee systems, where royalties for a work are entirely or largely due on production of the work.

But it remains the case that unless the American distributors see a return as a result of writing those royalty checks, they cannot continue to write the royalty checks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5