• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How you rate 'My Anime'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
I concur about watching anime in Japanese (I watch with English subs) as I enjoy the Japanese intonations. Frankly, it seems almost "sinful" to watch it dubbed in English. Given the choice of watching in English and understanding or watching in Japanese and catching 1 word in 10, I'll opt for the latter.

Please do not turn this into a sub/dub debate. I was merely trying to accentuate the fact that most of my reviews in My Anime are based on Japanese voice acting. That way, if I'm going to berate a title, I might as well do it at the original source.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I was going to try to reply to everyone that posted on this thread but this topic sort of grew a bit faster than I expected. So first I'll say thank you to everyone that has posted so far. I don't have time to respond to everyone but I liked reading all your posts.

I especially like that there were some different replies which just helps me appreciate just how different and yet often similar people think when doing their ratings. I liked to see that most here like to keep the masterpiece ratings for titles they feel truly deserve it. And just the same, most won't give out worst ever ratings to just any title that comes along that is just remotely uninteresting. It's good that many said they prefer to look for any redeeming qualities rather than just toss a series aside with a rating it might not warrant.

This probably goes with that some of you consider that you'd rather err on the side of caution. I guess this is something I sometimes look at too. Especially when I am getting really into a series, before I go all out with a masterpiece rating, I first try to put it through a sort of litmus test to see how much I enjoyed it compared to the other titles on my list.

And also, at first I thought it was very generic of me to say that my main factor is my enjoyment factor, and I thought I was probably alone in this, and yet it turns out that many people think the same way. But I guess when I step outside and look at it overall; every factor anyone uses is just a way of measuring the enjoyment a particular show. Everyone just has different things they prefer above others.

A few comments:

one3rd, I don't think I have ever considered not rating my favorite series as anything other than masterpiece. I think if I did that I would have to rate everything else lower just to match it. But I sort of understand what you mean, because I have sometimes put series ahead of titles I rated lower, in a higher rank on my favorite list. This is something I very recently forced myself to stop doing, and just rate and rank accordingly. Yet every once in a while, I can't get it out of my head that a series belongs in my top ten that I took off just because I don't rate it a masterpiece.

Kilgamayan, Firstly, thanks for the short lesson in adding comments. Also I like to hear that you’re unconcerned with avoiding extremes. Looking at what you said and looking at your list, it just looks like if you enjoy a title enough, you just go with it. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like.

Key, I sort of figured a reviewer would have a whole different take on things. Does having to often do full reviews sort of take the fun away that some of us have making our lists? I could imagine that after watching who knows what DVD for the fourth time straight so you can make an accurate review might not want to make you take too much time also rating things you watch just for fun. But it's also nice to know you're less strict in your own ratings than in your reviews, I guess, to me, it kind of shows that in the end you're still an anime fan. I apologize if I am way off the mark.

unhealthyman, you think that might work? Should I remove the DVDs from the cases before tossing them, or just toss them and maybe give extra marks to those that managed to stay in their cases? Kidding aside, I also feel that it is very subjective, but I still love reading how everyone rates their titles. I guess if I really think about it, that generic 'enjoyment' factor of mine is probably just me going with my gut instinct after all.

And I also try to avoid not taking someone's word at face value unless I see the extreme spam-like ratings. For instance, I see the 6 masterpiece votes that Eiken has and just think there are people that liked it, rather than, "What the hell are they thinking?"

And off topic, but I see you changed avatars. Does this mean I can use the Vash avi now? Very Happy:

frentymon, I think I need to go back and retake college math courses to understand your 'simple' rating system (Kidding). Actually your system seems to be a fair way of judging series you might not enjoy as much but still look at those redeeming qualities more and really trying to give them an honest rating. Maybe I should do this more for my lower rated series.

Tony K., I am familiar with your list as I sometimes browse it for titles, but it is also interesting to read what you base your rating system on and not just how it works. I was sort of interested in this because you often post about liking shows with clear pictures, surround sound, and such, but I see some of your favorites and know they don't have releases with such things. So now understand a bit more. Oh, and I hope you got some sleep.

I'll try to comment more when I have time. Thanks again to everyone for your responses, and I hope to see more replies.

Last edited by undeadben on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Please do not turn this into a sub/dub debate. I was merely trying to accentuate the fact that most of my reviews in My Anime are based on Japanese voice acting. That way, if I'm going to berate a title, I might as well do it at the original source.

Huh? I don't know how you thought that was my intent. Is this even an issue to debate? I guess people will argue about anything. I was merely mentioning it as part of my overall personal viewing/rating/enjoyment process--nothing more. Considering it "sinful" is my personal valuation, not an assignation for others--everyone has their own personal listening choice.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
Is this even an issue to debate?

It is an issue that is old and tiring and usually ends up in flame wars, so I'd rather it not happen in this thread either. I said that people could debate and discuss ratings in this topic, which is the subject here, not subs vs. dubs. Your post before and this one have all the ingredients for starting these types of arguments. I won't quote these parts because I prefer not to draw attention to them.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
*shakes head*
I apologize for not following along the "party" line. It's rather farfetched to assume my intent had anything to do with a "subs vs. dubs" argument, particularly since I can't fathom anyone stupid enough to actually argue about that topic.

My posts were on-topic and related to your thread's intent and the questions you posed, and I elaborated as necessary.

(delete and retract previous statement) My apologies and thanks for the PM, Tony.

Last edited by ironwarrior on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
Huh? I don't know how you thought that was my intent. Is this even an issue to debate? I guess people will argue about anything. I was merely mentioning it as part of my overall personal viewing/rating/enjoyment process--nothing more. Considering it "sinful" is my personal valuation, not an assignation for others--everyone has their own personal listening choice.

Trust me. A single comment like that can derail an entire thread. I didn't mean to come off as a "power-monger," but was only trying to warn you that people can jump on you for your the remark about dubs being "sinful," which could then lead to who knows what.

We've had debate after debate after debate of which one we prefer, only to have other people start flaming the more adamant fans of either extreme, then a repitition of the whole argument with no winner. It's just a warning Wink.

Anyway, back to topic...
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I merely rate on how much do I like a series. And I only rate series I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Oh wow, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll make one of those.

undeadben wrote:
Kilgamayan, Firstly, thanks for the short lesson in adding comments. Also I like to hear that you’re unconcerned with avoiding extremes. Looking at what you said and looking at your list, it just looks like if you enjoy a title enough, you just go with it. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like.

Not a problem, and yeah, I like my approach because of how simplistic it is.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Here’s mine.

I think I’m pretty fair in my assessments. I thought I was a pretty conservative rater when handing out “masterpiece” votes since I only gave that rating out to about twenty titles, but after seeing a lot of lists here with less than ten masterpieces I think maybe I’m being too soft. I don’t really want to physically count them, but I can probably count the shows I rated less than not very good on one hand, but this is because while I’ll watch at least the first episode of anything once, I try to avoid the crappiest of the crap. I’ve been giving my list some major updates lately so it’s hopefully more useful to other people, and I’m trying to write a comment for everything I’ve seen.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

I've seen your list a few times already and I wanted to ask you this: What's with that link in your Girls Bravo comments? Confused

Oh, and in case you haven't heard or are new here, I want to advise you that if you do use the Public Lists, DO NOT use the biliano data that's displayed on the Public List. That list is corrupted. Refer to this thread for my explanation.

I'm still working on my current (read: non-corrupt) My Anime list, but it's not at the point where I can share it with everyone. Once I get to a point where I feel that it's acceptable to view, I'll submit the link on the Sticky recommendation thread that Tony started a while ago.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
I thought I was a pretty conservative rater when handing out “masterpiece” votes since I only gave that rating out to about twenty titles, but after seeing a lot of lists here with less than ten masterpieces I think maybe I’m being too soft.

Well... if you take age into account it's really not that surprising that you would rate many of those as high as you do. I'd have a real hard time calling most of Miyazaki's work a "masterpiece" as I really just feel too old in my tastes to enjoy the fantasy he portrays. There's nothing wrong with having tastes appropriate to your age by any stretch of the imagination, but considering that you specifically fit almost perfectly into the intended age demographics, it's no surprise that you enjoy them as much as you do. If anything it means that perhaps they are masterpieces if they appeal so well to the intended demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Well... if you take age into account it's really not that surprising that you would rate many of those as high as you do. I'd have a real hard time calling most of Miyazaki's work a "masterpiece" as I really just feel too old in my tastes to enjoy the fantasy he portrays.

Prepare for the storm because a lot of Ghibli fans will think them's fighting words. Out of the 4 masterpieces on my list, 2 are Ghibli films and I'm over 30 years old.

Moving on to how I rate stuff, it's clear that I'm extremely reluctant to tag anything as a masterpiece. I firmly believe there has to be some room for a discerning taste, which is why I just can't dump anything I enjoyed in the highest category. Even those with a high proportion of masterpieces in their list are likely to agree that some of the entries are more equal than others. And that's my guiding principle, try to find the shows that stand out among the excellents and rate them as masterpieces.

I'm more generous with rating something as Excellent (30 at the moment) but I review the list regularly. I never rate unfinished shows as Masterpieces. In other words I'm far more likely to grade downwards than up. As my initial enthusiasm for an anime cools off over time I find myself capable of being more objective about it. Even so I'm ready to rate shows with obvious flaws highly simply based on my personal attachment.

Most of my ratings fall in the good and very good brackets. This is because I pre-select what I watch by checking out ratings or listening to the buzz. So most of what I watch does turn out to be enjoyable. Good generally means I enjoyed the show but was annoyed by something big or several small things. Very good has little of that annoyance factor but is on the other hand not outstanding or challenging enough to be rated excellent.

Average and below probably means it's a show that was supposed to be good but which I personally had major problems with. Alternatively it can be a show I picked up really cheap in the bargain bin. Stupid, but it's hard to resist those special offers. Average is still decent overall but below that the annoyance factor outweighs the enjoyment.

If you want me to watch what others rate as atrocious you'll have to give me the Clockwork Orange treatment. Naturally I have no series I would rate as the worst. I have a couple at Bad, one of which was so bad it was supposed to be funny. Hahaha, I didn't even finish the OAV.

Overall I've noticed that the more anime I watch the harder it becomes for a show to reach or even retain high ratings. There's a steady trickle downwards in the ranks. I guess this is partly because the more I watch the more I feel there are shows that fall in between ratings categories. And they sort of push down the rest as they fill up their niche.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
And off topic, but I see you changed avatars. Does this mean I can use the Vash avi now?

Haha, go for it... Wink I feel like I always have to change my avatar to reflect what I am watching, so it's Mushishi now.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The biggest thing I use when deciding the rating for an anime is what, if anything, makes it stand-out from the rest, what gives it a unique charm, what makes it special. This could be anything from storylines, characters, artwork, settings among others. With so much anime out there it can become common place to see recycled ideas, so I think the truly great ones bring something new or take an existing idea and give it a twist.

I use the example of Eyeshield 21. Being a sports anime it falls victim to some of the cliches of its genre, such as cheesey victories, teamwork and coming-of-age themes. But what makes it great is that it's American football and also its characters. I love the characters, they make the series. They are just so fun and have such great designs that without them the series would be a typical sports anime.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Looking through some of the posts again it seems everyone their own clear perspective on masterpiece ratings. On my list, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! was the one title I really debated over whether or not to rate as masterpiece. However after my third time all the way through in less than two months and watching some individual episodes more than twice that many times I figured anything that can grab my attention that much has to be a masterpiece from my point of view. I think the reason I debated it so much is because I feel I'm too liberal with masterpiece ratings sometimes (13 so far), that I start to doubt myself after a while. Most of the other series I rated as high I didn't even bat an eye when doing so.

Maybe I am too liberal with my 'enjoyment' rating system..

A couple of comments:

Zalis116, I like your subjective/objective rating system. I thought my system was incredibly basic, but this is another system that seems like it works a lot better and simpler than my own and is also more fair overall. I sometimes feel bad when I rate a show very poorly when I think outside of my own prejudices that the show really did have some good qualities. Maybe I should also learn to somehow incorporate an objective view into my way of rating.

Anyway, I like looking through your anime list when picking my next series to watch/purchase, to see if you've seen it and commented because I'll usually find a different point of view on certain series in your comments from what I'll read if I look at what most people will say on a forum topic. I'm not saying they are wrong and you are right, or vice versa, just that it's good to have an alternate perspective.

Gauss, I think you've explained perfectly why most of us rated the majority of our titles good and above; we pre-pick what we watch based on preference, so it's very likely we are going to be at least somewhat satisfied in the end. It wouldn't do any of us any good to continually watch shows that are similar to something we hated.

I liked the Clockwork Orange comment, but it gave me a creepy image. I don't like mecha series and I imagined someone using Ludovico's technique on me using Gundam scenes Shocked

unhealthyman wrote:
Haha, go for it... Wink I feel like I always have to change my avatar to reflect what I am watching, so it's Mushishi now.

Thanks! And it looks as if you've changed again too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6