• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How you rate 'My Anime'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok ok, I think I may have found it. It just may be the "worst" anime ever aside from the mildly catchy intro theme (that lasts 3/8 of the show). It's a little short called Hanoka, it's a new show circulating around the net, and it's just over 4 mins long. I searched for it in the database, it wasn't in there yet, I hope it gets added soon so I can promptly rate it "worst show ever". Laughing If it's not the actual worst ever, I think I might cry (only PM me with a worse title if you've actually seen it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I'm always surprised whenI see "Worst Ever" ratings on good shows. I mean, I can accept that someone does not like, say Gankutsuou, but to say that it is the "Worst Ever"... not so sure.

I'll make a little parrallel here.

At university, when the end of the semester draws near, we have to evaluate the teacher. Well, students who did not like the teacher simpy put the worst rating in all category.

This is meaningless, I mean, nobody would take this seriously. And it's the same with notes for anime or movies.

Also, when someone lists "Worst ever" because of one scene or one single element. I read comments about some shows that made my teeth shake and steam come out of my ears, such as "It's the worst show ever because I don't like the flashback in episode 23".

So when I personnaly rate my animes, I do it carefully. I try not to tag a movie or series Masterpiece, but as I haven't seen as many Animes as most of you people, and what I've seen so far has been through mostly careful choice, most are on the upper range.

I have four Masterpieces, which is a lot given the short number of animes I've seen: Gankutsuou (altough, as I haven't seen the whole series, I might still change the rating to excellent, as I'm not sure I like all the modifications done to the original story, but still, so far it's one of the greatest anime series I've seen, so it won't go under Excellent unless they REALLY screw everything up), Ghost in the Shell, the first anime I've seen. I think it's one of those movies that can compete with "live action masterpieces" and would recommand it to non-anime fans who like good sci-fi.

Texhnolyze, I might as well say I've seen it all, I'm at the final DVD, and it follows the same comments as GitS. And finally, 12kingdoms, Juuni Kokki, my favorite series of all.

Then I have a fair amount of Decent. These are those that are "meh." But still, they are not bad, just it's the kind of movie I won't watch twice. What's below is what I would recommand NOT to watch. As you can see, nothing I have seen I consider to be bad, except Utena, I enjoyed most of what I saw.

(NOte, I DO have seen bad animes, something I really did not like, like Pokemon or other "mainstream" animes, but I haven't seen enough for me to rate, and it wouldn't be meaningful, as I am not the target audience for these shows anyway.)

Jeez, this is one long post. Sorry. Very Happy
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it too selenta, I wouldn't even consider it anime, just a crappy flash skit. If it does go on ANN, I'll agree with the rating you give it, cause even flash shouldn't be that bad.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen your list a few times already and I wanted to ask you this: What's with that link in your Girls Bravo comments? Confused

What, you don't think it's funny? Laughing
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying this to be rude but it's merely the words that are coming to mind: I find that if you over-analyze anything you ultimately destory it with both criticism and praise.

I respect when the industry brakes things down, as that makes for meatier articles, but as for myself, if I ever rate something it's simply how much I enjoyed it and how good an anime I feel it is in general (e.g. Sailor Stars contains some of my favorite moments in all Anime but I know that it's my conviction as a Sailor Moon fan that makes me think this, as a whole the series is good.)

Basically, it's instictive, first thing that comes to mind, ruminate over it for a second, and there, finished.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Ok ok, I think I may have found it. It just may be the "worst" anime ever aside from the mildly catchy intro theme (that lasts 3/8 of the show). It's a little short called Hanoka, it's a new show circulating around the net, and it's just over 4 mins long. I searched for it in the database, it wasn't in there yet, I hope it gets added soon so I can promptly rate it "worst show ever". Laughing If it's not the actual worst ever, I think I might cry (only PM me with a worse title if you've actually seen it).

Well, your right, it wasn't that good, but that was only the first episode. If you think of it as a fan made flash animation rather than a TV series, it's pretty good though. But I guess the fact that it is a TV series is what makes it so bad... it's some of the best flash animation I've seen though, so I'll give it that. I don't feel it deserves a "worst ever" rating.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
biliano wrote:
I've seen your list a few times already and I wanted to ask you this: What's with that link in your Girls Bravo comments? Confused

No, I think it's funny. However some people might find it offensive.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:
biliano wrote:

That sounds like a personal problem to me Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Well, there's millions of things other than that that people could possibly be offended with in Girls Bravo. If they find that image offensive, they should take it as a warning to not watch the show. By linking to that YTMND site, I'm making the world a more beautiful, loving place.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
That sounds like a personal problem to me Rolling Eyes

If you're applying that I have a problem with the link that Wolverine Princess posted, I don't. As I said, I thought it was pretty funny. It also helps that I actually like Girls Bravo (it's one of my all-time favorite series), and that scene displayed on the link was one of the funniest moments in the entire series.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
OT, but how do you have music playing on your list Wolverine Princess?? Just html witchcraft?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
OT, but how do you have music playing on your list Wolverine Princess?? Just html witchcraft?

It's just HTML. I put <embed src="WWW link to song"> in the comments box for the first anime on the list.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Still a bit off topic, but what anime is that scene from if not Girls Bravo (which I don't think that would be in GB)? I like the song they have playing in the background ><

Edit: found another anime to add to my awful list, Kemonozume, literally forced myself to watch the first 7 minutes and couldn't stand it anymore, the animation is crappy, the storyline so far isn't that great, and the sudden burst into action isn't really great. I'm not even gonna bother watching any more of it because it'll just be a waste of time >_>
beast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
my list, 355 in seen all

on my criteria: my criteria are pretty biased towards subjectivity:

~75% of my rating of an anime will stem from how much I enjoyed everything leading up to the end, except for the end.

~20% of my rating will come from how much I enjoyed the final scenes or final 1-3 episodes of the anime.

only ~5% of my rating will come from the objective quality of the show: art & design, animation, writing & directing, voice acting, intro & outro, background music.
Of course the 95% above will have taken these criteria into consideration as well.

As you see, I'm pretty biased. For example, I would acknoledge the objective superiority of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yûutsu compared to a somewhat generic show like Rozen Maiden. But I still gave them the same score: 8/10, very good, because I enjoyed them both equally.
This means that it's possible for me to give a show I thorougly enjoyed an Excellent or even Masterpiece despite of obvious flaws: to me, enjoyment is paramount.

on the 1-10 scale

I think a scale of 1-10 is way too wide for movie rating scale, only very few people will make the best use of such a delicate scale, and most people will give relatively high ratings, or don't give much thought at all and just pick something from 7-10 (good-masterpiece) or 1-3 (awful-weak). Looking at the following list, even I was way too generous with the ratings. In retrospect, I'd probably downgrade ~30 of my 'very good shows' to 'good', and ~50 of my 'good' shows to something worse. See sophistication of taste.

stats

out of 355 completely seen shows -> list

38 Masterpieces
~50 Excellent
~55 Very Good
~75 Good
~50 Decent
~25 So-So
~10 Not Really Good
~30 Weak
~15 Bad
0 Awful

plus ~8 unrated shows

on the sophistication of taste

With every show I watch, my expectations and minimal requirements of the next show will rise. This is not a conscious choice - it just happens. To give you an example: Love Hina was my first anime that I watched as a fansub back in 2000. I loved it, I would have rated it a straight 10/10 back then. But 2004, when I registered my ANN account and began to add shows to my list, I gave it a 8/10, Very Good. These days, I wouldn't even watch the 2nd episode of a show like Love Hina, I'd just delete it and add it to the Will Not Finish list, regardless of its quality. This is another reason why there aren't that many bad shows in my list: I don't even give them a try, or if I do, discontinue it after having seen 1-5 episodes. On the other hand I only try to watch quality shows, which explains the relatively high amount of Masterpiece and Excellent in my list. Mediocre shows get axed prematurely and don't even make it to the list.
That's what watching a lot of anime will do to you, you become jaded. Wink
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:
This is interesting. I'm always surprised whenI see "Worst Ever" ratings on good shows. I mean, I can accept that someone does not like, say Gankutsuou, but to say that it is the "Worst Ever"... not so sure.

Almost every anime has worst ever ratings, and while I, like you, completely disagree, for the most part I try to give people benefit of the doubt. It’s probably very naïve of me but I when I think about it, someone who loves the simplistic stories of a series like Pokemon and Beyblade and only enjoys these types of shows, might not be really ready for a show like Gankutsou and be quick to rate it worst ever. Yes the tag is still too strong (I have yet to use it myself), but I also think about the mindset and maturity of the anime fan who only likes those simpler type of series, and it really wouldn’t surprise me if they do rate Gankutsuou worst ever.

However this can also work the other way around, there can be an anime fan that is only interested in the more 'intelligent' shows like Gankutsou, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, and Eva, among many others, who might absentmindedly rate shows like the aforementioned Pokemon worst ever just because they contain the most simplistic of storylines.

But even I have to admit that there are also spammers, or what the kids call ‘haters,’ that just go around badmouthing things for no real reason other than to just contradict people.

Quote:
I'll make a little parrallel here.

At university, when the end of the semester draws near, we have to evaluate the teacher. Well, students who did not like the teacher simpy put the worst rating in all category.

This is meaningless, I mean, nobody would take this seriously. And it's the same with notes for anime or movies.

I have some of the same problems, but at work with younger colleagues who still don’t know anything about real life. As with many places we are also asked to give assessments of our superiors, and when I sit down to read through these I am sometimes really shocked at what people will write down, simply because it is, “anonymous.”

This is the reason I am happy to hear that there is a trustworthiness index for users on this forum. My own might not be too high and I don’t really care, but I know that the system also bocks a lot of the spam votes when all is said and done. After abunai made his post I went to some of the encyclopedia entries that I know had multiple worst ever rating just to see for myself that even though the votes were counted the actual rating graph was practically at zero.

Quote:
Also, when someone lists "Worst ever" because of one scene or one single element. I read comments about some shows that made my teeth shake and steam come out of my ears, such as "It's the worst show ever because I don't like the flashback in episode 23".

This is also the thing that bothers me the most along with those who do not even watch a complete episode and yet add the series into their list just to rate badly. I never rate anything unless I feel I have given it a fair chance. If I haven’t seen enough and I’m still bordering I just leave no rating, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

Quote:
(NOte, I DO have seen bad animes, something I really did not like, like Pokemon or other "mainstream" animes, but I haven't seen enough for me to rate, and it wouldn't be meaningful, as I am not the target audience for these shows anyway.)

I have seen plenty of these and I usually try to rate on my own system, the enjoyment level, if it at least regularly kept me from being completely bored for 20 minutes at a time, I’d call that so-so or decent. (The only shows I’ve rated worse are the ones where I felt like I was forcing myself to sit through.) But like I stated above, I agree, if I haven’t seen enough it’s a no rating.

Quote:
Jeez, this is one long post. Sorry. Very Happy

Are you kidding me? Have you seen some of my posts in this thread?

beast wrote:
on my criteria: my criteria are pretty biased towards subjectivity:

One more vote for subjective enjoyment. This is probably the best policy after all.

I think that is an interesting take on things though, putting additional emphasis on the story up to before the climax. Although when I think about it 20% just for the ending is a lot higher than 75% for everything before. (Sorry, getting worse with math as I age, took me a couple of minutes to really get this.) But this is also a good way to think about it, although it would explain why there are only 38 masterpieces in your lot of 355.

If I am assuming correctly that you would already rate the episodes before the final episodes(s) well, merely because you are still watching, then the only thing left to put it over the top would be a knock-out ending. Goes to show most anime don’t have the best of endings, but then again neither does any other medium.

Quote:
That's what watching a lot of anime will do to you, you become jaded. Wink

Maybe I’ll remember to post here again in several years after I have got past the 350 mark, to see if I feel the same. Although I guess I am already starting to see this in some ways. Back when I did not have access to a lot of anime, I used to sit through almost anything I could get my hands or TV on, so I couldn’t afford to be very picky. Once I started being able to really afford things like DVD box sets, satellite TV, and this nifty computer with broadband internet, I started to somewhat look down on some of the shows that I used to watch and enjoy. Although I still have my ‘anything goes as long as it entertains’ attitude, I can now also afford to be picky, and so I end up watching things, in my taste, that I really love so will usually make the anime I used to watch pale in comparison.

But then again, I still love and watch Ranma more than anything else, and this is something I first saw with in Spanish dubs with rabbit ear antennas on airwaves from a Mexican TV station several years ago, so I can’t say I am really completely there yet.

Last edited by undeadben on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6