• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NTT DoCoMo's New Smart Glasses Could Translate Manga Instantly

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SO. EPIC.
So. Friking. Epic.
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
After watching the video it says that they already have an app that translates it, I think via AR.. Could anyone be so kind as to tell me the name of said app, or give me a link?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Machine translation of Japanese is still way, way, way, way far off from being effective enough to read manga.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Its just to bad you need a phone to use it
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
That's cool!!! Very Happy

But here's the problem will Japan export these outside of their homeland or will this end up like Japan's Galapago pre-iOS/pre-Android cell phone.

Even if Japan doesn't export these outside, you still got Google smart glasses which they may try to improve and advance the instant translation thingamajig program probably surpassing the one shown in Japan. What DoCoMo here did was very ingenious, but expect competition when it comes to smart glasses and expect another company not in Japan to perfect and improve the translation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Machine translation of Japanese is still way, way, way, way far off from being effective enough to read manga.

I agree. But maybe by 2020 it will be good enough? Even if it's not (and I'm guessing it won't be), I could see this being a very useful tool for navigating a foreign city, like Bamboo suggested in the article. Pretty nifty overall.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I agree. But maybe by 2020 it will be good enough? Even if it's not (and I'm guessing it won't be), I could see this being a very useful tool for navigating a foreign city, like Bamboo suggested in the article. Pretty nifty overall.

Agreed, especially if your reading manga with made up words, though it's still something I'd like to have in the distant future.
sukochi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Its going to be a fair bet that most shop owners and government districts with in Tokyo will have their menus, signs etc all translated into English (Most of which are already I might add) in time for the Olympics anyway..... While its a nice idea, I dont see people paying money for a device that is only useful for reading a menu (as even google translate etc cant translate sentences properly....) hmmm and will u need a contract with docomo (2year minimum) to even be able to buy the said machine? LOL
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
google glass is better. All they need to do is the write an app to use google translate to do the samething.
simona.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
problem is, google translate really sucks at Japanese Anime hyper
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
I want them! I could read my Kimi to Boku and Big Windup volumes without having to read the scans at the same time. Obviously this technology has a long way to go before it's perfected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote
sukochi wrote:
Its going to be a fair bet that most shop owners and government districts with in Tokyo will have their menus, signs etc all translated into English (Most of which are already I might add) in time for the Olympics anyway..... While its a nice idea, I don't see people paying money for a device that is only useful for reading a menu (as even google translate etc can't translate sentences properly....) hmmm and will u need a contract with docomo (2year minimum) to even be able to buy the said machine? LOL

You technically don't even need it for a menu in Japan as so many restaurants have pictures of the food displayed outside.

However if technology advances so I can really use this for untranslated manga, that would be great. Smile
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Cool no need to wait for companies to license games and manga anymore Surprised
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
problem is, google translate really sucks at Japanese Anime hyper

How are you so sure, maybe the translate problem is the same for other languages too (french, German, Russian, Korean, and maybe even Chinese).
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: The US Foreign Service Institute recommends 88 weeks of training to reach "General Professional Proficiency" for the Asian languages you listed(taking Chinese as shorthand for the multiple spoken languages), twice what they recommend for the next hardest, Russian(French is in the easiest category). French, German(second easiest category) and Russian are also part of the same sprachbund as English, so their grammar is all extremely similar to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2