• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Welcome to Bronco Country

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I still think the girl on the Negima DVD looks like the chick with the hat from KujiUn. That's probably another reason why I don't like Negima. (You know you're in trouble when one of your characters looks like a character from a parody of generic anime)

I bet Bamboo watched the Monday Night game. I also bet she's happy about the Monday Night game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
You're from Colorado? You ever been to South Park?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I did indeed watch the Monday night game, and yes, I was thrilled. Anime hyper

And yes, I'm from Colorado. Sadly, I've never been to South Park. I think most Coloradoans haven't been there. It's in the heart of the Rockies, but most people who head into the mountains end up at big Winter resorts, not podunky little towns.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Completely off-topic, though I'm curious as a Denver fan: I know which one I favor, but do you prefer Super Bowl XXXII or XXXIII?

Anyway, this edition of Shelf Lief pretty much cinches an eventual purchase of Koi Kaze for me. It's been a while since I've watched a genuinely good romance anime, and what better way to get back into it by watching a heartfelt one that also covers a social taboo?

I'm holding off on Zipang for now since there are way too many anime and manga that I have to view in addition to my own life; I might just settle for a complete box set depending on when Geneon puts one out.

Finally, since it seems you're going over complete series releases by Geneon this past summer (Koi Kaze and X here), does that mean that the Texhnolyze box set is in your queue?
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Slightly more serious and less sporadic than the manga, this series is well worth watching

really, i found the manga much darker what with the spoiler[explination of izumi's tramatic end and mereko's relationship with her grandma, the scenes with the bridge were much more black IMHO] also spoiler[mitsuki's contemplation of suiside]
they're both worth watching/reading though Very Happy

also i'm glad the X box set was highlighted
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ChikaraFire wrote:

really, i found the manga much darker what with the spoiler[explination of izumi's tramatic end and mereko's relationship with her grandma, the scenes with the bridge were much more black IMHO] also spoiler[mitsuki's contemplation of suiside]
they're both worth watching/reading though Very Happy

also i'm glad the X box set was highlighted

Ah, I never got that far in the manga. I was just really irritated by the author's random asides in the margins. Like, Mitsuki would say, "I'm dying" or something, and there'd be this thing in the side saying, "Well at least I'll get to wear some cute clothes!!!!" Not exactly like that, but it was kind of like that. Like, the author didn't have balls to keep it serious.

HellKorn wrote:

Completely off-topic, though I'm curious as a Denver fan: I know which one I favor, but do you prefer Super Bowl XXXII or XXXIII?

XXXII. Yeah, XXXIII was great because it was two in a row, blahblah, but 32 was Elway's first, and it was just a solid game. Versus the next year, when the game itself just wasn't as intense.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

XXXII by far for me. How could you not enjoy our first Super Bowl title and one in which we were the underdogs? And Elway's "helicopter" spin to get that first down late in the game is just one of the greatest plays I've ever seen.

By the way BD; I'm curious, where in Colorado are you originally from?
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Just one small point about KoiKaze:
They fall in love before they are reunited as siblings.

And that's what makes it so tragic.

JBV^_^
Necrontry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
all these good reviews of KoiKaze really make me want to see it. too bad I'm pretty much flat broke... but I'll eventually get around to renting it hopefully.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

XXXII by far for me. How could you not enjoy our first Super Bowl title and one in which we were the underdogs? And Elway's "helicopter" spin to get that first down late in the game is just one of the greatest plays I've ever seen.

By the way BD; I'm curious, where in Colorado are you originally from?

Fort Collins. Very Happy Though no, I don't care for the Rams at all. Partially because I never even bothered applying for CSU. Had I gone to school in state, I would've gone to CU-Boulder.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm originally from Boulder, but I now live and go to school in Fort Collins! I too, don't really care for CU and didn't even apply.

What a wierd coincidence.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
KAWAJIRI FOR THE WINZORZ!

Yeah, I totally am still paying for the set at my local anime shop (it's like 50-60$ more expensive or something than it is online... yes, I'm a tool).

OH! And there are apparently 2 editions... the regular one and the GOLD one...

I remember it being discussed at AoD that the only real difference (aside from the obviously GOLD "X") is that the thing is made out of velvet (or something in that vein)...

Damn, when I saw it in the shop, I was all "I just gots to have it"

... I should be done paying the thing off by the end of this month (thank god)

And yes, I have the original bailey box set thingies, THOUGH, I should be working on getting Kawajiri's older works (heck, I don't even own Ninja Scroll and VHD yet, which is strange... I need money...)
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're from Colorado? You ever been to South Park?

I've been, actually. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
A small point about Zipang—the Mirai is a Kongo-class destroyer, not a battlecruiser (the last of which were built fifty years ago).

But I guess that's Geneon's fault, not yours, Bamboo. :-P
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
A small point about Zipang—the Mirai is a Kongo-class destroyer, not a battlecruiser (the last of which were built fifty years ago).

*Cough* Wink

Looking back at the old thread made me wonder: why are there not one but two veteran anime fans AND a batch of Geneon translators misidentified Mirai as a battlecruiser? I know Bamboo might just have followed the synopsis on the cover, but HitokiriShadow said it even before it was licensed by Geneon. Something's funny about it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3