• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunagun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
They didn't offer her a choice. They gave her the appearance of having a choice, but in reality she didn't have one (think of the conversation between the old lady and the alien). She knew that right away. They just gave her time to get used to it and tried to make it as painless and easy for her as possible.

In that vein, I like how when Asao asked her if she was going to do it, she replied kind of nonchalantly, "yeah, I'm going to do it." like it's a matter of course, because it is. It's really just required and expected of her, and she recognizes that though it may be a big upset, this is the course her life has taken: the alien situation has come knocking and now she has to respond to it.

I respect Shio a lot for that, for having the sense to know that you've got to do what you've got to do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I am kind of happy that the fanservice I thought it would have was not as bad as I expected. It just turned out the one scene in the preview was her spoiler[trainer taking a chance to motivate her by messing with one of the copies of her that she was meant to shoot]. It actually felt kind of funny as Shio spoiler[quickly shot it with much more accurately]. There was kind of another part with fanservice like shots, and in case you are surprised by spoiler[her size in the pictures, the notes made it clear that he altered the copies to have larger busts for the pictures].

I will say she had some nice moments, like spoiler[hitting the guy that pretended to drop her off and then blown-up]. She got angry at herspoiler[ instructors for lack of phone coverage], I kind of liked her frustration. And she managed to make spoiler[friends with the military guys], partially through her love of everything military. But why did they have to spoiler[kill them at the end of the episode]?

And I loved the bit where she woke up and the words spoiler["NOW LOADING..."] were at the bottom the screen. I really thought those notes would be intrusive, and in some ways they are, but I can't say that I hate the style.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
*watches ep3* Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Thaaat's what it was. spoiler[So She's not secretly stacked]. In a way I'm disappointed but it was funny so I'm ok with it.

I dig the notes. They're funny and don't distract me from the subs. Also, Canada REPRESENT! Even if you didn't have a name. And spoiler[even if you probably died]. I salute you, Canada Bob.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Someday, in the far, far future, when we've colonized the galaxy and evolved into higher lifeforms... the Japanese are going to figure out that NOT EVERY AMERICAN IS BLOND AND BLUE-EYED. In fact, only a small percentage of us are, as is true in England as well.

But, until that glorious day arrives, I guess we're stuck with this current portrayal. Sigh.

Overall, a good episode. And while it is implied that the trainer shopped the images, I wonder...
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I really liked spoiler[those army guys. I know it's a slim chance, but it would be nice if they survived.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I think there's a good chance spoiler[some did. After all, I'm pretty sure at the end, they said they were launching a rescue mission, so that suggests there is somebody to rescue as opposed to simply recover.]
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm mixed on the matter. On one hand I'm glad the show has the balls to spoiler[killinate people. On the other hand I'd need to accept that it might kill people I like such as Canada Bob and his multinational team (yes, I promoted nameless guy to team leader).

I guess what I'd be more afraid of is them showing up alive much later. Yeah, I'll go with that. Killing or not killing them is ok, but saying they're dead next episode and then in ep13 we find out they're not would seriously make me mad.]

Luckily, I don't think the show will do that. It's not nearly happy enough for fake enough, and those are the 2 things that cause that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

So Shio might actually be interested in boys, based on her reaction of being held by Jack. It is makes my yuri fanboy heart sad, but both of them together did look cool when they were in axe crazy mode. I like that she questioned if she is the only normal E-gene holder, while the notes were making it clear that she is not exactly normal either.

And there was Galileo, which I was scared about her appearance based on you know what show. But I guess I like what I saw, might have to wait for next week which is probably a breather. She kind of looks like a Dalek though, but I guess it is meant to be an observatory or something.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
You know what? Kudos to the staff for episode 4. I think they did an awesome job of it. Most of the time, no matter what the show is, I tend to be kind of bored during fight scenes. I'm always more interested in what impact a fight scene has on the characters after it is over than the actual fight itself.

Not this time. I was actually tense - which is kind of ridiculous considering the outcome was never really in doubt - but that is tribute to the writing/directing etc. I thought they escalated the action very smartly, i.e. we need to do this - oh crap, that didn't work, what's next?

Really enjoying this title a lot.

The only question mark for me about episode 4 is that Shio seemed to spoiler[bounce back from the death of her new military friends pretty quick.]

Oh and I'm not sure that having the Robert Capa e-gene holder's real name be Annus was such a good decision even if it is rather apt considering his general attitude...
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else getting Pacific Rim vibes from this show?

I'm curious to see where the series will go since the manga has only 3 volumes so far.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Is anyone else getting Pacific Rim vibes from this show?

I was going to ask the exact same thing. I hope it doesn't mean the spoiler[chinese triplets are going to get a stupid death.] (Let's just pretend there'll be some spoiler[chinese triplets] at some point in GUN)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
This show continues to be hands down the most sheer fun I've had with an anime in a while. I agree completely with what Blood said. The action scenes are really smartly written to make them actually compelling. It's really great to hear that the monsters are apparently intelligent and will be adaptive and try different tactics instead of just lumbering into the ring time and time again to try their luck.

Also, I love the subversion of Sio walking in on Jack changing and ogling his spandex clad butt. And file this under "Things I never expected to say in my life" but Nobunaga and Jack the Ripper make a cute couple. And I'm sorta glad they're going that way. I'm not necessarily against a yuri relationship but I am if it just winds up being a typical "wink wink" non-explicitly stated thing. That always feels like a cop out.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
I really liked that scene where they cross cut between nobunaga's history and Shio dancing crazy, with a lot of black and neon colors, mostly red for the past and green for the present, and the dance focused on Shio's blobby feet in the suit, which I thought was cool.

Yeah I really liked the walk in on Jack changing scene. I'm not sure how good an idea it is to fall in love with Jack the Ripper though Razz. This version of the guy seems ok though lol.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
well, he's not Jack The Ripper all the time. Falling for Jack's host doesn't seem like a bad idea
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Let's hope he doesn't steal her heart ... Ripper-style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12