• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noragami + Aragoto (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@leatherhead: Yeah I agree with you. I didn't think that through very carefully, but I was trying to express my sense that he had more in mind when he said that than just sprinkling some holy water on him. Smile When you consider how long it takes to forge a katana, it sounded to me like a commitment to make Yukine into a great regalia. But I think things just got out of hand before Yato realized he was in far deeper trouble than he could handle.

But I really was asking about whether the term they were using was ablution (ritual cleansing by washing) or ablation (surgical removal of tumors or unhealthy organs...like eyes on your back). I don't know if the Japanese word (whatever it is) got mistranslated, or if it does mean ablution. Anybody? Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't verify the accuracy of the translation ablution versus ablation, but weighing the metaphorical value of both, I come down on the side of ablution being correct. In a sense, Yukine was being immersed in his own sins and by admitting to them and apologizing, he "washed" them away.
Leprochaun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Blood- on this one. Ablution makes more sense in this case. Ablution just means to wash away, but its original definition was purification by washing. Though you could definitely argue for either, as they both work. The general definition of ablation is to take away, which would be okay, but its specific definitions tend to be more about the removal of tissue or the like. The ceremony was much more of a purification than a removal. If they just removed the blight, Yukine wouldn't have learned his lesson and would have continued to sting Yato.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if the Japanese word (whatever it is) got mistranslated, or if it does mean ablution. Anybody? Smile

hmm...hold on a sec.

I am hearing 禊 misogi which translates to "purification ceremony'.

That should clear things up. I wonder why the subbers didn't just use 'purify' o_o I didn't even know the word 'ablution' existed lol[/i]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
But Mayu specifically said, "With flesh pared, may he be cleansed." I.e., cutting away the diseased flesh would purify him, though that also involved admitting his sins. Kofuku followed that up with, "An ablution in this sense involves cutting flesh." Which is not what ablution means in any sense. It carries the specific connotation of purification by washing in liquid.

But I think it doesn't matter either way. Going back to hear it again, it sounds to me like they're using the word "misogi (禊?)" which I think just means purification ceremony. They should have just tl'd it as purification, which would have covered everything (and made Kofuku's line make more sense). Smile

Heh, looks like Chiibi and I arrived at the same conclusion while I was typing.
Tyna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:

..............really? Rolling Eyes

SoulEaterRevolutionaryGirlUtenaSlayersBlackLagoonShakuganNoShanaMadokaMagicaEverysinglewarriortypemagicalgirlshowinexistence

Just to name a few...

Yes, I know there are, I didn't say they didn't exist hence the word seldom, I was saying as a ratio, I think there are more animes out there with irritating female characters that don't play a huge part in the meaningful events and I'm not referring to fighting skills as Mystery pointed out.
But it's a matter of perspective, what you might think is a strong female character, I might not.
My point was, I liked Hiyori in this episode Razz
Also of course I could be wrong, I have not seen every single anime on the planet Laughing
Thanks for the recommendation both you and Mystery.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Sure thing.

......................so who's addicted to the OP theme yet?

*extreme jamming* looool

The ED doesn't really grab me...but I can't get enough of Goya No Machiawase!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[It was nice to see Yukine be a good boy.
Guess he figured out a way to approximately have a normal life.
So Yato actually intends to find a way to fix Hiyori.
Well, it's about time he at least tried.
The shrine visit was fun ^^
Yet, somehow, Hiyori managed to get into trouble.
Nora cooked up a devious plan again.
She is definitely holding a grudge.
So Nora has a new master now; Rabo, god of calamity.
Things are looking pretty bad for Yato.]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'm feeling this because I know this is an original story-line now, but something felt a bit off this episode. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it was that irritated me, though.

@ Chiibi: Oh yes, the OP is probably on the verge of terrorizing my neighborhood by now...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.

Yato and Hiyori crying happy for Yukine was precious.

But as for that ending scene...

*points at PC screen*

NO.

No no no no no no no.

NO.

......oh well, it'll work out.
Also I don't like Nora. ]:<

Knoepfchen wrote:
@ Chiibi: Oh yes, the OP is probably on the verge of terrorizing my neighborhood by now...

Haaaahaha. ♡
My county will also be....once it gets warm enough to drive with the windows down.
Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

First of all, I am quite glad that Yato is back to his usual cherry self again. I also liked seeing how much more mature Yukine is now compared to the previous episodes. Hell, he's even working as a spoiler[part-timer to pay back the money he stole. I give him some credit there.]

The spoiler[festival] could of been more fun I guess but Hiyori looked cute in her outfit. What wasn't cute was that ending spoiler[because it seems like she lost her memories.] Damn it spoiler[Nora]....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quite a significant ending. Yato explained in previous episodes that spoiler[regular people have a hard time noticing Yato and other shinki, and even if they do notice them, they soon forget about them.] Also Tenjin told Yato to spoiler[try cutting ties with Hiyori. If he did then Hiyori would forget all about it. He didn't, but for some reason she doesn't remember him. That Rabo must be involved but I wonder what he did.]

If a god is spoiler[forgotten, they are therefore no longer needed and disappear.] It'll be interesting see how the anime works with this considering they're introducing it a lot earlier than in the manga.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Btw the full ED song was released.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 (watch on the 10th of the month at 10pm)

You would think it right just to cut ties if it got her back to normal since they are causing nothing but trouble to her. Maybe some heart warming tears too. Yeah friendship and that, but Yato is kind of taking advantage of her, she is almost like his god.

Every time they brought up going to a new school I was reminded of the OVA, and the irony that her friend is spoiler[hoping for popularity]. The god of that shrine barely helps in spoiler[that situation caused by Yato either].
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Btw the full ED song was released.

Yes, there's a really nice PV for it too.

Quote:
Yato is kind of taking advantage of her, she is almost like his god.

I don't think Hiyori cares all that much. She would be far more upset if the two of them were suddenly out of her life. If you go "but she won't remember", that makes it even worse.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 28