• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Question About Lily C.A.T.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
According to the Wikipedia entry for this '80s OVA/movie, a twist ending exists which was "cut from some versions of the film." However, I cannot find evidence of this twist's existence anywhere else, primarily because virtually everything online about it is based on the old Streamline dubbed version (or its broadcast on Sci Fi Channel back in the '90s), and that did not have any such twist ending.

The Streamline release is 67 minutes. Does anyone ever remember seeing a longer version and/or one which doesn't end with spoiler[the blond and the Japanese guy flying in the shuttle through the atmosphere of the new planet]? If so, what was this supposedly-missing twist ending?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing about this, but thanks for introducing me to the existence of this. Sounds like it could be my kind of thing Smile

I'll see what I can find in terms of the purported twist ending thing too.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
A review on this is pending (as it's just gotten released on DVD in the U.S. for the first time), but I wanted to see if I could get this point straightened out before I finished off the review.

And for those not familiar with it, it's essentially an Alien rip-off which mixes in some elements of The Thing. Not recommended for those who love cats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
My copy is a fansub but it's either lost to time or on a tape in a box which is lost to storage which I can't play. But I too remember this official ending so it's unlikely that the fansub has anything different.

The wiki page cites ANN as the reference, but I don't see anything on the ANN page about the twist ending. So I don't know where that info came from. Other sources I looked up in a very quick search all cite the wiki, which of course cites ANN. Maybe it's just incorrect? I wouldn't trust it unless it listed at least one showing that had the changed ending, or details about it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
On IMDb Bard-32 wrote:
[...]
HERE BE SPOILERS spoiler[The captain tells Dick Berry that they're all over a hundred years old though they look like they're much younger. Finally, Berry agrees with the captain that it's not worth it. Lily, one of the crewmembers' pet cat, is actually the source of the virus. It's Lily C.A.T., the ultimate biological weapon. Lily C.A.T. starts killing the rest of the crew. Finally, Captain Hamilton, tells Berry to save himself and his prisoner and says that there's a planet nearby and that they should leave before Lily C.A.T. finds them. He provides them with a means of escape, (an obsolete space shuttle that he'd kept as a souvenir.) and orders them off the ship. Lily C.A.T. senses that they're trying to escape, and goes after them. They finally and escape, and presumably land on the planet. That's where it ended.]

From the same page as above:
AloysiusWeasley wrote:
[...] and the plot twist withspoiler[ the crewmembers' cat and LILY cat (the Companies' spy)] is inspired.

[EDIT: Appropriate spoiler tags added. - Key]

Last edited by nobahn on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
If there was ever something on ANN that could have been used as a source for the wiki article, it probably would have been in the trivia section. It's not there now, so maybe an encyclopedia editor can tell us if such information has been hidden.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="nbahn"]From the same page as above:
AloysiusWeasley wrote:
[...] and the plot twist withspoiler[ the crewmembers' cat and LILY cat (the Companies' spy)] is inspired.

If that's what the Wiki entry was referring to then a) it's not quite the ending and b) I don't see how you can cut that out without massively screwing up the movie, since it's an essential plot revelation. The story makes no sense without it.

So either the Wiki entry is wrong or it's talking about something else.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...what was this supposedly-missing twist ending?

At the end of the ending credit title sequence in the Japanese version, spoiler[there are a shot of the handcuffs which are loosened and the cat's miaow.]
Probably it is the twist ending, spoiler[which suggests that the cat and the germs are still alive.]

As to Lily C.A.T., The director Toriumi Hisayuki said spoiler[that he had wanted to make an anime version of baké-neko films. Baké-neko is a yōkai cat, and there are traditional horror stories about it and also many live-action films about it were produced.]

Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
At the end of the ending credit title sequence in the Japanese version, spoiler[there are a shot of the handcuffs which are loosened and the cat's miaow.]
Probably it is the twist ending, spoiler[which suggests that the cat and the germs are still alive.]

Pretty lame twist if that is, indeed, what Wiki is talking about. I did notice that what you describe is present at the end of the credits for the English dub but not for the Japanese dub in the DVD release.

Quote:
As to Lily C.A.T., The director Toriumi Hisayuki said spoiler[that he had wanted to make an anime version of baké-neko films. Baké-neko is a yōkai cat, and there are traditional horror stories about it and also many live-action films about it were produced.]

Now that's interesting. I will have to do a little more research into that.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Now that's interesting. I will have to do a little more research into that.

You may want to read this article.

This is a poster for Hiroku Kaibyō-den, a baké-neko film released by Daiei in 1969.

In the Patalliro! manga, there is an instalment which is a retelling version of the Nabeshima Baké-neko Disturbance story.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:

spoiler[The detective could loosen the handcuffs because he was transformed into a monster. The fugitive found the key of the handcuffs, but he didn't use it and he threw it away. The loosened handcuffs in the final shot may suggest that the fugitive, too, was transformed into a monster.]

WINBACK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Nice thread. I came in here wondering the same thing, and I've come to this conclusion:

There is no twist ending. I'll explain...

I really think the handcuffs throughout the credits and the cat noises at the end aren't plot-related, it's all just for post-credits effect...a very spooky effect that resonates with you once the screen goes black. It's the same thing "Aliens" did back in 1986 (the sound of an alien egg opening up) when they didn't even have an outline for Alien 3's plot six years later; they just added that for effect at the time because it was chilling to hear that sound throughout the entire movie (they eventually *would* use that as a plot-device, but like I said, at the time it was just for effect and it wasn't even the same director or writer that picked up Alien 3).

As for the Lily C.A.T. wikipedia article, I'm usually not the guy to just be like "lawl wiki unreliable" because most of the time the info is good, but in this case...it looks like the "There is a twist ending that is cut from some showings of the film" comment didn't get added to the article until March 2013‎. That's pretty recent for an article that's been around since 2006 and a film that's been around since 1987. So right now, until I see video of an alternate version of the film that actually shows something different than what we've all been seeing at the end of the movie, I'm chalking up the "twist ending" info as some wiki user's exaggeration of the post-credit handcuffs and meowing. This reminds of the time long ago when I searched for Lily C.A.T. on wiki and there WAS no article...

Just a side-note: I first rented Lily C.A.T. sometime around the mid-90s and then would later see it on Sci-Fi, and only just recently did I buy the DVD that came out but I haven't watched it yet. Other than the original Japanese release, I can't think of another version that would show us anything different, but I'll keep my eyes out for it because this anime is totally worth the effort.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
WINBACK--
Just wanted to say...
WELCOME TO THE FORA!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1