• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2014-The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

This one lost me after looking at the character list, seeing a male lead, and then about ten female characters of varying tropes/body designs/fetishy styles before getting to the only other male character, who looks to be the villain of this color-by-numbers sameness.

This. So much.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually the synopsis implies that most dragons are male, as Eco being a young girl is surprising.

(Cutie gay dragonboys never ;_;)
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Splitter wrote:

This one lost me after looking at the character list, seeing a male lead, and then about ten female characters of varying tropes/body designs/fetishy styles before getting to the only other male character, who looks to be the villain of this color-by-numbers sameness.

This. So much.

I'll triple that.

On NGNL, working on the art team of most anime must be super depressing, you try your hardest to come up with interesting art style, but then you have to work with these really long "complicated" premise that all boil down to boring generic situation.

If I was working on an art team, I'd have sledgehammer next to my desk and would once in awhile burst into the story department to remind them that me and my team are working really hard while there apparently drinking lead paint.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

If I was working on an art team, I'd have sledgehammer next to my desk and would once in awhile burst into the story department to remind them that me and my team are working really hard while there apparently drinking lead paint.

You do realize that most anime are based of LNs, Manga or VNs?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Actually the synopsis implies that most dragons are male, as Eco being a young girl is surprising.

I would find it interesting just because it would be a unique character, but unfortunately even if there was such a character in an anime, there would also be the high probability that he would be written in an extremely obnoxious manner. We have seen how ridiculously over-the-top anime tends to write gay male characters. There is no subtlety and grace in them, they are loud mouthed and crudely flamboyant. OR, they are a tall/handsome Bishie who is an absolute jerk and doesn't care that they are a jerk. I think it would be very interesting Chagen, but I cannot hold my breath.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I would watch anime Dragon Heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Splitter wrote:

This. So much.

It's the "Only I may touch the waifus!" mentality that leads to this formula.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:
Splitter wrote:

This. So much.

I'll triple that.

Cool Yeah, scrolling down the list of girls with varying hair colors and purposely vague character descriptions ending in "but...", I was just beginning to think the only thing missing here was the white haired, masked antagonist. And there he was.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

Cool Yeah, scrolling down the list of girls with varying hair colors and purposely vague character descriptions ending in "but...", I was just beginning to think the only thing missing here was the white haired, masked antagonist. And there he was.

Lol. Anime, why art thou so predictable.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

Because risks can be damning when you're catering to a market that revels in familiarity.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

Because risks can be damning when you're catering to a market that revels in familiarity.

Just like the western market for tv shows and movies.

Anime just wants to be like all the other big boys.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

Oh come on, Western tv shows and movies are not like this. Sure, they can be derivative and play on some similar tropes, but they don't just literally recycle the exact same characters with just different hair colors and names and mass produce them in show after show, using the exact same jokes and same type of plot developments over and over and over every few months.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
When I wrote up the summary for Dragonar Academy, I noted to a friend on IM that it was basically "Normal Boy Gets Superpowers that Conveniently Are Accompanied by Hot Chick(s) #4781." Escapist wish-fulfillment is fun and all, but you can be a little more subtle about it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Oh come on, Western tv shows and movies are not like this. Sure, they can be derivative and play on some similar tropes, but they don't just literally recycle the exact same characters with just different hair colors and names and mass produce them in show after show, using the exact same jokes and same type of plot developments over and over and over every few months.

This sort of recycling occurs in many corners of the anime industry:

Quote:
Let me take you back to a conversation I had in the winter of 2008. Picture a small, smoke-filled karaoke box in Ueno, filled with ten or so 30- to 40-year old Japanese men celebrating the end of both Comiket 75 and the year itself. I'm sitting across a small table from Tomo Kataoka, author of Narcissu, one of the most highly regarded visual novels ever made, and head of "Neko Neko Soft", one of Japan's oldest and most highly-regarded eroge production outfits. Tomo's been writing text-and-sex adventures before most of us even knew how to pronounce anime correctly, a true veteran. He takes a drag from his cigarette, looks at me, and says, "Look, I'm glad you're really into eroge now. I really am. We need more young people playing our games. But you young people..." He pulls another drag. "...are all the same. You start playing eroge when you're 18 or 19. You're really into it. You love the sex. The romance. The girls. The art. The voice acting. The music...everything. By the time you're 22, you've seen it all. It doesn't interest you anymore. You're out. You move on to better things." He snuffs out his cigarette. "But..." I say. "Or," he says, lighting another cigarette, "you become one of them." He tilts his head, indicating the other men sitting around the table. They nod their heads in agreement. "These guys have been playing eroge longer than most people in the industry today have been making them. The girls are all the same to them now. When they play, they look for a certain type of girl. I bet you one of these guys sitting here with us today is really, really into tsundere." A mousy, bespectacled man with messy hair raises his hand. "Yup," he says, "That's me." And so on, and so forth. A different man claimed dominion over each different archetype. "You see?" Tomo says, smiling at me. "It's not about the characters. It's about the archetype. When you've seen 100 tsunderes, you know what's up already. You know what you're getting yourself into. You like it. That's why you haven't moved on yet. That's why you're still playing eroge at 35. Everyone else figures it out, gets bored of it, packs up, and goes home."
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
rederoin wrote:

And neither does anime, atleast not at the rate you seem to be thinking it does. We have Reality shows and Cop shows, Japan has Harems.

2 or 3 generic harems per season is only a small amount of the shows that get released every season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14