• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
He struggles quite a lot with his emotional turmoil all throughout the series.

So does Kirito.

Nope

Um YEP, that's why he has like six crying/ break-down scenes all through the series. That's why until Asuna insists he stay with her, he never stayed in a party since Sachi died. That's why he has to rely on other people for emotional comfort. That's why once you take those people away, his willpower completely disappears.

Quote:
Quote:
He also has to actually win the heart of his love interest

So did Kirito.

Quote:
And nope again. He barely had to do anything for Asuna to want to be his waifu. He was just so sexy and badass that she ultimately just couldn't resist him. That's how Kirito wins all the girls of his harem.

Okay, you're being either stupid or stubborn or both. Kirito's risked his life for every. single. one. of them. He watched over Asuna for hours as she slept to make sure nobody would kill her and she was touched by that. He continues to protect her and she just falls deeper.

Girls fall in love with guys who are nice to them and put their safety first above their own. That's just what Kirito does; that's why girls like him.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Um YEP, that's why he has like six crying/ break-down scenes all through the series. That's why until Asuna insists he stay with her, he never stayed in a party since Sachi died. That's why he has to rely on other people for emotional comfort. That's why once you take those people away, his willpower completely disappears.

In SAO1, I recall one scene where he even showed a hint of real emotional disturbance, after Sachi died. The rest of SAO1 he was mostly a stoic badass. If you watch Accel World, you will see the immediate difference between Kirito and Haruyuki on that front. It will be like night and day. You will see Haru's internal thoughts, his lack of self-confidence, his fears. You will see it several times. You will see him cry many times. He was portrayed as a real boy, struggling with real problems of adolescence. For Kirito, reality was just an annoyance that barely touched him. Nearly everything for him was the idealized world where he was the unstoppable badass.

Like I said, I did think that changed in SAO2 a bit where we do see Kirito's emotional struggles. That's why I've been mostly giving good grades to SAO2. However, the character as originally created did not have this depth. He was originally created as a pure gary stu, and I think it is possible that Kawahara learned a little bit after that first experience and moderated the character a bit.

Quote:

Okay, you're being either stupid or stubborn or both. Kirito's risked his life for every. single. one. of them. He watched over Asuna for hours as she slept to make sure nobody would kill her and she was touched by that.

So, like I said, he is an unstoppable badass so they fall in love with him. We are talking about the same thing here Smile We aren't talking about him going out on dates and learning about their personalities and wants and engaging in recreational activities with them. We are talking about him being a badass who saves them repeatedly, so therefore they just have to fall in love with this teenaged hunk.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well since Chiibi and Bugnin basically admitted that all of the things I claimed about Kirito were more or less accurate,

No, they did not.

This certainly is an interesting thread. And I really do mean that. I am not being sarcastic.

Since it is somewhat relevant to the topic of overrated characters, I am curious about what people think of the Mary Sue litmus test.
It seems to be made so that writers can evaluate their new characters. Does it really have any value for rating an established character that was created by somebody else?
Is there any consensus of opinion on the accuracy of the results?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Well since Chiibi and Bugnin basically admitted that all of the things I claimed about Kirito were more or less accurate,

No, they did not.

Yes they did. For almost all of them they just gave excuses as to why those things were okay. Smile
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Touma wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

No, they did not.

Yes they did. For almost all of them they just gave excuses as to why those things were okay. Smile

You're in denial.

It boils down to this: A gary Stu character is perfect at everything, in every conceivable way. Even at his best, Kirito was not perfect. He makes bad decisions and fails on a personal level. His mistakes get people killed and nearly himself. There's nothing to dispute either of these facts. We can move on now to arguments that make sense.

I could just as easily call Hariyuki a gary stu because Kuroyukihime falls in love with him before he ever says a word to her. If your standard for a gary stu is anything less than perfection (which by definition does not make it a gary stu), then literally every protagonist ever created is arguably a gary stu. It's become twisted from its actual intent into "that character from that popular series I don't happen to like."

Hariyuki is no less a chick magnet than Kirito. It's just that he's a small fat slob so he comes off as less threatening to certain male readers. And thank god he doesn't have a sister.

FYI, I really like Accel World, but Hariyuki is hardly some everyman that struggles through life like the average kid.

Last edited by Bugnin on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
In SAO1, I recall one scene where he even showed a hint of real emotional disturbance, after Sachi died. The rest of SAO1 he was mostly a stoic badass.

Then I suggest you rewatch the first series because he spends a good deal of time crying in girls' arms.

Quote:
So, like I said, he is an unstoppable badass so they fall in love with him.

*facepalm*
You said he "didn't do anything." "Unstoppable badass" doesn't equal "committment, kindness, or compassion." And he kind of DID go on small dates with a few of the girls. He accompanied Sillica for...three days I believe, he accompanied Liz; he DID get to know them and was courteous and chaste.

And he's NOT "always unstoppable" anyway; he could not have won several battles without the aid of other players! I don't know how many times I've pointed this out.

Quote:
I could just as easily call Hariyuki a gary stu because Kuroyukihime falls in love with him before he ever says a word to her.

............are you serious?
Girls liking Kirito are WAY more believable in that case!

Last edited by Chiibi on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

It boils down to this: A gary Stu character is perfect at everything, in every conceivable way. Even at his best, Kirito was not perfect. He makes bad decisions and fails on a personal level. His mistakes get people killed and nearly himself. There's nothing to dispute either of these facts. We can move on now to arguments that make sense.

No. Garu Stu is not perfect at everything. Sometimes the author's fantasy does not involve perfection. Like I said before, the only thing required for the Gary Stu is that it is an extreme version of the author's avatar. It's usually not difficult to figure out what the author's fantasies in relation to that character are, and if the story and other characters are positioned in a way that appears to make them all subservient to those "author avatar" fantasies, then it is likely a Gary Stu. Kirito fits that bill for Kawahara. Done.

Chiibi wrote:
[
Then I suggest you rewatch the first series because he spends a good deal of time crying in girls' arms.

I don't recall a "good deal of time," but perhaps you can enlighten us to how extensive that "good deal of time" was.

Quote:

And he kind of DID go on small dates with a few of the girls. He accompanied Sillica for...three days I believe, he accompanied Liz; he DID get to know them and was courteous and chaste.
Yea, so he could keep them from being killed. Again, him protecting them from death is not the same as "date." I know it might seem like that in a super fantasized world for Kawahara, where him going on a date means saving a damsel in distress from certain doom. But that's not a normal date. But again, that just reinforces how much of an extreme avatar he is for Kawahara.

Bugnin wrote:

I could just as easily call Hariyuki a gary stu because Kuroyukihime falls in love with him before he ever says a word to her.

Nope, again, you weren't paying attention to Accel World. She wasn't really in love with him at that point. She was using him because she believed he was the one who had the ability to achieve something that had eluded her. She doesn't actually fall in love with him until much later.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Kangaroo, I suggest you leave this Kirito debate to us novel readers since we know the character better than you do. Rolling Eyes
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

No. Garu Stu is not perfect at everything. Sometimes the author's fantasy does not involve perfection. Like I said before, the only thing required for the Gary Stu is that it is an extreme version of the author's avatar. It's usually not difficult to figure out what the author's fantasies in relation to that character are, and if the story and other characters are positioned in a way that appears to make them all subservient to those "author avatar" fantasies, then it is likely a Gary Stu. Kirito fits that bill for Kawahara. Done.

LOL

http://www.t-ono.net/biographies/REKI-KAWAHARA-川原-礫-Biography.html

Quote:
Kawahara mentioned that Haruyuki was the character most similar to him out of all the characters he made.

Did someone mention "author avatar fantasies?"

"done" indeed....
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:

Quote:
Kawahara mentioned that Haruyuki was the character most similar to him out of all the characters he made.

"done" indeed....

Actually, you just proved my point. You are now admitting that Kirito is his fantasy self, whereas Haruyuki is much closer to reality. As such, Kirito is the Gary Stu and Haruyuki is a realistic representation of a boy struggling with self esteem. Thank you for agreeing with me Smile
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
this serious debate over an animated person has put me in a much better mood. thank you, all three of you
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
this serious debate over an animated person has put me in a much better mood. thank you, all three of you

Hey.....fandom, you know... Rolling Eyes
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ROFL

Quote:

Oh man, Bugnin WHY did you link that article to me??? Don't you know that (unlike some stubborn people) I actually read evidence that people provide? I like to be fully informed, you know. This article is like a gold mine for my position.

Quote:

For Sword Art Online volume 2, Kawahara wrote using his experience playing MMOs. Kawahara played several online games, but he was never able to be a part of a high-ranking group. He envied those players, their equipment, and their reputation. This became his inspiration to write the second volume of Sword Art Online.

Quote:
Kirito, on the other hand, was an ideal person whom Kawahara wanted to become.

DON'T link articles to me unless you have read the whole thing! I will read it and smack you over the head with the contrary evidence in it ;0
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think writing a character that you'd like to be is the same thing as a Mary-Sue though.

Mary Sues are supposed to be wondeful at everything and personality-less.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I don't think writing a character that you'd like to be is the same thing as a Mary-Sue though.

*sigh* it isn't

Quote:

Mary Sues are supposed to be wondeful at everything and personality-less

They are....

But it's just easier to make up your own definition to fit your own argument. That's why I'm done here. The whole concept of gary stus is a lazy criticism used only by people who lack complex thought.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

DON'T link articles to me unless you have read the whole thing! I will read it and smack you over the head with the contrary evidence in it ;0

No, you're just the kid that feels the need to declare himself the winner of every argument. I'm long past the point of caring about this.

Last edited by Bugnin on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10