• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brynhildr in the Darkness (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote

Brynhildr in the Darkness (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: harem, human-experimentation, superpowers

Plot Summary: When he was a child, Murakami was infatuated with a girl he called Kuroneko. She insisted on knowing about aliens and having met them, but no one believed her, even young Murakami was skeptical. One day, she decides to show him the aliens, but an accident occurs and Kuroneko dies while Murakami is left seriously wounded in the hospital. Years go by and Murakami obsesses on finding proof of the existence of aliens because of a promise he had made with Kuroneko. Then, one day, a new transfer student comes to his class, who not only looks a lot like Kuroneko, but is named Kurohaneko. And even though she insists on never having met Murakami before, the girl has superhuman strength and seems to even be able to predict the future.
----------------------------------

Episode 1: Yup, I got what I expected with a cute Niko. But from the creator of Elfen Lied, I expect to see even more dark moments soon. Still though, it'll take me awhile to get used to her in this show when she goes on silly outbursts. Still, at least there's a story going so looking forward to development. Being a 1 cour show though, I hope they don't rush much or omit important elements.

Oh and I need this girl on my spoiler[arm wrestling team someday]. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
That OP song though. Halfway though the show I was still waiting for his sister to make an appearance. But then I checked MAL and I realized I got the wrong new show. Anyway since this is the creator of Elfen Lied, I expect there will be lots of gore.
Tyna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I agree, the OP song is really good. It's the first thing I noticed.
The feels for Murakami at the end though... Crying or Very sad
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
That OP is really really cool, song and visuals.

The show seems very interesting as well. I really want to see where this one goes. So far it's my favorite this season.

Also, I think the CQ and amateur radio stuff was a reference to Contact a science fiction movie that also had a young girl who was interested in looking at the stars to find aliens. It's a good movie, and it was a cool reference for the show to make.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Go outside and you'll die. If you stay here, you'll be fine.

So, go outside to determine if she really could predict the future.

Case #1: She cannot predict the future. Your trust in her will be destroyed and you'll end up thinking she's some wierdo with crazy strength that looks uncannily like your (supposedly dead) childhood friend.

Case #2: She can predict the future. You die, but die knowing she was telling the truth.

So, you end up either disappointed or dead. What do you do? Go outside! Yes, I can tell this guy is Really Smart.

I'll, ah, let the water pump thing slide.

As for the "moles". I wonder if, like the (otherwise bad) movie "The Sixth Day", they are like a serial number? In that movie, there were bumps on the bone at the bottom of the eye socket: the number of bumps indicated which clone you were of the original. Because those marks aren't natural, and neither is the current girl.

Still, the show has potential. I'll probably watch at least one more episode to see where it goes next. I do like stories about Valkyries (Gwendolyn from Odin Sphere is awesome), so I'm willing to give it the B.O.D.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Lets all mention the OP, because that was quite something. The spoiler[freaky death like looks] were pretty disturbing. Also it had dubstep, that felt notable.

Hey, not much notable, but him being serious and spoiler[testing her on basic math] was a hilarious touch.

A Major problem, if the student was spoiler[drowning, shouldn't the teacher or someone else just pass some air into her mouth]? It was my initial thought and I was facepalming that no one seemed to consider it, not like it would have been hard.
Tyna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

A Major problem, if the student was spoiler[drowning, shouldn't the teacher or someone else just pass some air into her mouth]? It was my initial thought and I was facepalming that no one seemed to consider it, not like it would have been hard.

This! So much this! I was thinking the same exact thing.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Okay, fine... the Water Pump Scene.

Impossible. Swimming pools don't have water pumps that are so powerful that their suction could draw a person into it and then make them unable (even with help) to pull away from it. Such a pump would have to be huge -- way bigger than anything you'd put into a swimming pool. The only purpose for that scene was for Mystery Girl to say, "I knew that was going to happen." There was nothing plausible about it at all.

In fact, I'm wondering if there isn't some force running amok causing these things to happen while making them *appear* accidental.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
I liked this one a lot. Dig the dead childhood friend -> new girl premise. Humour worked for me. Let the horror begin!
Tyna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
In a world of magic, where you have supernatural elements I don't think there is much room for laws of physics Tuor_of_Gondolin Smile) so I think you could safely assume that the pump could suck a person's knee in, to that extent, maybe even make french fries afterwards. I would not be surprised Razz
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Tyna wrote:
In a world of magic, where you have supernatural elements I don't think there is much room for laws of physics Tuor_of_Gondolin Smile) so I think you could safely assume that the pump could suck a person's knee in, to that extent, maybe even make french fries afterwards. I would not be surprised Razz

No, not necessarily. Just because you've got supernatural elements (which in this show haven't even manifested as "magic") doesn't mean you have to check your brain at the door and doesn't mean it can't be consistent with the laws of physics. I'm also of the opinion that both of those accidents seemed a little unnatural, but we'll see to what extent that ends up manifesting.

But yeah, this thing seems pretty cool. It's one of those shows that has the creative space to be serious and interesting given that it goes in the right direction. I'm also willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that it will, which is more than I can say for the rest of the new stuff I've seen so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
^ I thought of it as a Final Destination thing? Neko might have done the part where she couldn't swim to alter events so that the one in trouble would not die from the probably event, so a more improbably even happened to make sure the person would die in that place? It is why the avalanche was destined to happen as he passed by it. Do have to mention it is giving me Another vibes.
Tyna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:

No, not necessarily. Just because you've got supernatural elements (which in this show haven't even manifested as "magic") doesn't mean you have to check your brain at the door and doesn't mean it can't be consistent with the laws of physics.

Only reason I said magic, was because of the fact that Kuroha spoiler[ split a massive boulder into two pieces, right before she said she's a witch. ] My point is not to take things too literally and enjoy the anime for what it is, which doesn't mean watching it while being brain dead. I'm sure it's full of great moments and awesome plots. It's one of my favorite this season.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like something I'll enjoy. Good first episode.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Tyna wrote:

Only reason I said magic, was because of the fact that Kuroha spoiler[ split a massive boulder into two pieces, right before she said she's a witch. ] My point is not to take things too literally and enjoy the anime for what it is, which doesn't mean watching it while being brain dead. I'm sure it's full of great moments and awesome plots. It's one of my favorite this season.

But magical systems can be constructed with attention to physical law and consistency, and the fact that there are elements that work in ways we aren't familiar with (i.e. Kuroha's abilities) doesn't mean that we shouldn't be surprised when things that we are familiar work in ways that we aren't (like the pumps).

I too, like Tuor and Dusky (If that's what you're getting at; the post wasn't quite clear to me) think that these dangerous incidents aren't really accidents but are being caused intentionally somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21