• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network Are #1 in Quarterly Rankings for Key Demographics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
There was absolutely nothing in my post that was remotely hostile towards anyone who simply doesn't like Space Dandy.

Your second paragraph you say the only people who would point out lack of competition at a midnight time slot are "people who lack an actual personality". You accuse people of being insecure but if you have to sweep anyone like Cyclone1993 who would point out its timeslot as a factor into a neat little pile for you to dismiss even thought it's a totally legitimate point shows your own insecurities. At least he didn't make a huge ranting post like you did.

Looneygamemaster wrote:
No, I legitimately think that you guys don't like anything that's different or related to America in any way.

Different or related to America how?? I don't understand.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
It really is not in the same area as something like Highscool DAnime hyper

Okay? Highschool DAnime hyper is not the only anime out there I don't know why you keep using that like it's the only anime that exists. If you want another current anime about explorers traveling through space with psychdellic imagery you can check out Battle Spirits Saikyo Ginga Ultimate Zero. It's way more plot heavy than Space Dandy though.

I never said I hate Space Dandy it's a fun show I just don't get why it has to be some soapbox for people like you who said it's "there's no doubt the visuals and subject matter Space Dandy appeals to westerners who hate moe and is the savior of anime". When you can name shows currently airing like it it shows its not unique or special, and when the show itself has boob jokes all over then it shows its doing what people are accusing anime needs a savior from so it just seems weird to me to use it for some kinda agenda against its own will. It's just as much a late night anime as anything else.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay? Highschool DAnime hyper is not the only anime out there I don't know why you keep using that like it's the only anime that exists.
Because thats the one I could remember and it's a fanservice anime. I don't watch "fanservice" anime so no, I don't know that many. Maken Ki(k) I guess? Ikki Tousen? Space Dandy is'nt anything like those shows.

IS there a problem using Highschool DxD? I could have used any show of it's ilk, it wouldn't matter.

Quote:
If you want another current anime about explorers traveling through space with psychdellic imagery you can check out Battle Spirits Saikyo Ginga Ultimate Zero.
That dosen't look anything like Space Dandy. I mean do you not understand what kind of anime Space Dandy is? Because that looks like a kid show and would have nothing in common beyond being in space and colorful.

Quote:
When you can name shows currently airing like it it shows its not unique or special, and when the show itself has boob jokes all over then it shows its doing what people are accusing anime needs a savior from so it just seems weird to me to use it for some kinda agenda against its own will.
It just kind of sounds like you're looking at shallow things and saying "oh these must be the same".

"Code Geass and Gundam Unicorn both have mechs so those people claiming that Gundam Unicorn is scratching that realistic mech itch are wrong. CG was there."

Like never mind that Space Dandy probably has a far different tone and style then this other show.

This Battle Spirits Saikyo Ginga Ultimate Zero is a kids anime based on a card game. That dosen't sound at all like Space Dandy.

Quote:
When you can name shows currently airing like it it shows its not unique or special, and when the show itself has boob jokes all over then it shows its doing what people are accusing anime needs a savior from so it just seems weird to me to use it for some kinda agenda against its own will.
I don't know. I accuse anime of being filled with relationship surrogate fanservice shows where it's all about cute/hot girls you're supposed to like as some sort of waifu whatever. Bias? Sure, but whatever. It really has less to do with fanservice and more how the fanservice is presented. I already said I think the fanservice in Space Dandy is not really arousing inducing like the cameltoe shots of Maken K or whatever happens in Queens Blade. I don't think it's there to sell something. It's there to be funny and the show dosen't even seem to be that concerned with it.

The main character of Space Dandy is not a bland self insertion character like all these other shows. That's kind of the big difference right there.

Sure Space Dandy is a soapbox anime. It's also been a target by ""other" fans merely because of that. I don't think it's unique, but I sure don't think it's something like Queen's Blade, Ikki Tousen, or whatever other "look at these teen TNA" shows out there. It also sure is'nt something like K On. Those are the kind of shows I stereotypicaly associate with anime I'm not interested in.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Space Dandy has far more in common with Johnny Bravo than Highschool DxD.

Ditto. It's not Highschool DxD (or whatever other fanservice show you might prefer), but it's not Bebop either. It's a silly show about a vain, shallow horndog goofball and his buddies getting into wacky adventures. He might talk big, but the actual fanservice content is pretty rare and tame by any measure.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a lot of it, but what I've seen of Space Dandy is wonderful! I'm also glad to see them showing reruns of FMA Brotherhood again. That sure made that random wake up at 3:00 in the morning worth while. Hope to see Attack on Titan on there once the English dub is completed, it would suit the network perfectly and if not then I can always pray that the excecs at [Adult Swim] run across the english dub for Ghost Stories. The dub is just raunchy enough to work for them! Keep up the good work Toonami! Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Forget that notion. there is no way they will be showing Ghost Stories.

Panty & Stocking is another story. Though yea, what they should get a license is Attack of Titan, but also Fairy Tail considering Bleach is about to end preety soon. Am I wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Bleach has 27 more episodes to go. so assuming something like another movie month doesn't interrupt its broadcast, the final episode will air on Oct 11th
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
And yeah I'm not sure how much glory there is at being #1 at 3 in morning when your competition is reruns and infomercials. Not like it's primetime where you get bragging rights.

It beats the notoriety of NOT being #1 against all that sludge. Though I am kinda curious as to the massive volatility that Dandy was listed as having. Are Boondocks repeats not providing an appropriately stable lead-in?
Beatdigga wrote:
I thought people would be happier that Toonami is doing well. Instead, everyone seems mad at Space Johnny Bravo for not being a Bebop clone.

Even after the fridge (best call-back ever) made a cameo?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
And don't forget Woolongs! They have to be in the same universe if they share a currency, right?

Actually, my main complaint about Dandy is its lack of female characters. I would have liked to see more of Scarlet, or even Honey. Maybe we'll get a semi-regular in season 2.

And, yeah, Dandy beat some (sort of) decent SNL episodes, which is nothing to sneeze at. No matter how far it's fallen, SNL is way more mainstream and popular than Dandy will ever be, and it has the advantage of boosting its ratings via popular hosts and musical guests. I know I was channel flipping some weeks. Beating SNL's first half hour is definitely an accomplishment.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
The only "holier than thou" attitude I see in this thread comes from you and all the other users who consistently show up to passive-agressively sneer at anything that's "different" or "American."

Could you all please stop that, by the way? It's really irritating.

It's the same offenders over and over again. Just ignore them. The forum mods keep an eye on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5