• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
KZK wrote:

They made some significant changes in the adaptation, and it has an alternate ending (it was made before Ueda finished the manga). Still, pretty good.

Now I just wish some fansub group would find a copy of J-Drama Happy Mania..

I don't know what happened with your quotes there...But I'm really happy to hear that there is someone else who is interested in Happy Mania (live action).

Oh goodness, I thought it was some rarity that anyone even heard about it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if ANN will do more article talking Asian dramas, that would be interesting to see. Smile

tygerchickchibi wrote:

I don't know what happened with your quotes there...But I'm really happy to hear that there is someone else who is interested in Happy Mania (live action).

Oh goodness, I thought it was some rarity that anyone even heard about it.

Well that drama came out in Japan in 1998 (according to Wikipedia) way before Asian dramas got popular outside of Asia (and way before Dramafever, Crunchyroll, and Viki was made). So that's why the live-action Happy Mania is a rarity or not heard of outside of Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

To be honest, I thought drama based on mangas had a better chance of coming out when it was fansubbed, but I guess Happy Mania wasn't that big at the time either. :X

I don't really watch dramas that often unless it's based on a manga~
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Hmm...

To be honest, I thought drama based on mangas had a better chance of coming out when it was fansubbed, but I guess Happy Mania wasn't that big at the time either. :X

I don't really watch dramas that often unless it's based on a manga~

That or Japan's strict copyright/anti-piracy law has caused any uploads from being shown on Youtube. As I said, the drama came out in 1998, so this was before Youtube, Crunchyroll, Dramafever, and Viki existed. So I doubt the drama fan would make the live-action Happy Mania a big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lijachan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if someone mentioned it but this list forgot to mention Hana Yori Dango had a Korean adaptation as well called "Boys Before Flowers"
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Lija-chan wrote:
I'm not sure if someone mentioned it but this list forgot to mention Hana Yori Dango had a Korean adaptation as well called "Boys Before Flowers"

No, the article did mention the Korean adaptation, didn't you carefully see this part of the article.

ANN wrote:
In 2009, Hana Yori Dango was adapted into a 25-episode South Korean drama entitled Boys Over Flowers. It received high ratings among viewers and launched the careers of several actors:

Hye Sun Ku as Jan Di Geum (Tsukushi Makino)
Min Ho Lee as Joon Pyo Goo (Tsukasa Doumyouji)
Hyun Joong Kim as Ji Hoo Yoon (Rui Hanazawa )
Bum Kim as Yi Jung So (Soujiro Nishikado)
Joon Kim as Woo Bin Song (Akira Mimasaka)

Also I like to note the Korean adaptation was shown all over the world not only in Asia. I know this drama was shown in Israel, Kazakhstan, Turkey, some other part of the Middle East. I know this was shown in Latin America (Peru, Panama, Ecuador, Chile): Here's the trailer from Peru's Panamericana channel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3