• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Ceres, Celestial Legend Shōjo Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Just curious, but does this show tell a completed story?

It tells some major parts of the main story, but excludes a lot of stuff from the manga.

For an example, there's a major character in there, Shuro, who has her own arc in volume 6 and appears a lot later on in the manga, but only shows up for an episode near the end of the anime. And some arcs were excluded as well.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
How about Earth Girl Arjuna next?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Sheleiga: Actually, Viz did sub the show all the way to the end, and briefly uploaded it on Hulu last year.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sheleiga: Actually, Viz did sub the show all the way to the end, and briefly uploaded it on Hulu last year.

Huh, that's actually surprising. Strange how fansubbers quit partway through as well (maybe they were using Vi'z disc rips).

I really don't get how they subbed some of these shows fully (Monster, Blue Dragon S1 and S2) and just... that's it.
anifani

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now we just need Discotek to license rescue Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force

I totally agree with that! Or any of the other series for that matter: New Century Zero, Fuzors, Genesis.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you're a Ceres fan, I imagine the reason to get the Discotek re-release is it'll probably get an A/V upgrade.

wonder: I think FUNi got Arjuna. Or maybe it was just Escaflowne.

Sheleiga: Well, actually, they subbed Monster all the way through, too. For Hulu, though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
@jr0904: You're confusing them with Pioneer/Geneon, they originally had Fushigi Yugi first and now Media Blasters does (sadly).

no . i believe i was correct. MB originally had its license back in the 90's and released it under the animeworks brand. i dont think pioneer/geneon ever had the licensed. if it did i would have known cause i was a die hard pioneer follower considering they had the licensed for the SM movies as well as El hazard and tenchi muyo and trigun and Ah my Goddess. and all of those series got the pioneer signature series label when they changed the name to geneon. Even the sub versions of card captors sakura and the TV series of X got that signature series edition after pioneer changed their name.

If the were the first ones to licensed fushigi yugi back then, they would have also have been given the pioneer signature series treatment as well and i would have been the first ones to known. so its either a wrong info you got or they lost the license to MB before they became geneon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
jr: No, Geneon/Pioneer definitely had Fushigi Yugi first, but in pricey limited edition boxsets which they didn't sell in cheaper formats until near the end of the anime bubble.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
The Basara anime was never even close to finished and what exists does not do the manga justice. The manga is one of the best works of fiction ever written, though. The first thing I'd save if my house ever caught on fire would be all 27 volumes and the two artbooks I have. So amazing.

And if any company EVER licensed Akazukin Chacha, I would probably keel over and die. I really don't think it's going to happen, though. It's quite long (74 episodes plus OAVs) and the nature of the show probably is not a good selling point since over here, you know, it's not called Sailor Moon. If I could own my favorite shoujo anime on DVD in English, it would be so wonderful. It's just not going to happen, though.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
@jr0904: You're confusing them with Pioneer/Geneon, they originally had Fushigi Yugi first and now Media Blasters does (sadly).

no . i believe i was correct. MB originally had its license back in the 90's and released it under the animeworks brand. i don't think pioneer/geneon ever had the licensed. if it did i would have known cause i was a die hard pioneer follower considering they had the licensed for the SM movies as well as El hazard and tenchi muyo and trigun and Ah my Goddess. and all of those series got the pioneer signature series label when they changed the name to geneon. Even the sub versions of card captors sakura and the TV series of X got that signature series edition after pioneer changed their name.

If the were the first ones to licensed fushigi yugi back then, they would have also have been given the pioneer signature series treatment as well and i would have been the first ones to known. so its either a wrong info you got or they lost the license to MB before they became geneon.

Um, you are incorrect. The boxed sets that I have owned forever are the original English release (yes, the ones that cost like $120 each back in the day) and they are from Pioneer. They definitely licensed FY first. They also did the OAVs. I have those, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Fushigi-Yugi-Mysterious-Suzaku-Episodes/dp/6305596344

Proof. I can't believe that thing is only $150, though. They used to run for like $200 or more back in the mid 2000s. I guess it's because of Media Blasters recent release.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
no . i believe i was correct. MB originally had its license back in the 90's and released it under the animeworks brand.

Fushigi Yuugi was first licensed by Pioneer back in the VHS days. The subbed VHS was titled Fushigi Yugi while the dub VHS was The Mysterious Play. They then re-released the series as DVD sets, which Graceful Nanami mentioned. MediaBlasters rescue licensed the series after Pioneer/Geneon went under.

Pictures of the old Pioneer VHS releases:
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Could this mean that Full Moon wo Sagashite still has a chance for a license rescue? Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Sahara: I would bet on Discotek taking a chance on Phantom Thief Jeanne sooner than Full Moon O Sagashite.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
The Basara anime was never even close to finished and what exists does not do the manga justice. The manga is one of the best works of fiction ever written, though. The first thing I'd save if my house ever caught on fire would be all 27 volumes and the two artbooks I have. So amazing.

And if any company EVER licensed Akazukin Chacha, I would probably keel over and die. I really don't think it's going to happen, though. It's quite long (74 episodes plus OAVs) and the nature of the show probably is not a good selling point since over here, you know, it's not called Sailor Moon. If I could own my favorite shoujo anime on DVD in English, it would be so wonderful. It's just not going to happen, though.

Dont be so sure about that. i for one wouldnt mind seeing akazukin chacha , and i can easily see disotek or even Right Stuff / Nozumi Animation licensing it in the future,though the odds of an english dub is extremely slim to none unfortunately which sucks for me and those that are dub pursuits.

Also gokumew2 , i was unfortunately non existent when it comes to the VHS era so i wouldnt know that other series not named sailor moon and dragonball z that got VHS releases cause only those two and the movies of the 80's (Akira,Vampire Hunter D,Robot Carnival,Project A-Ko) as well as some manga ent releases are the only ones i have ever heard of getting a VHS release during that era. and the only pionner VHS i knew of at the time that was well known by a lot of people was of course the el hazard TV and OVA series and tenchi muyo as well as DBZ when they had Ocean Group dubbed it.

makes you wonder if there were other series that also got the dual DVD & VHS treatment too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
makes you wonder if there were other series that also got the dual DVD & VHS treatment too.

Fushigi Yuugi did not receive "dual" VHS/DVD release in the same sense that current shows receive dual DVD/Blu-ray release. Instead it came out completely on VHS before DVDs became popular and was later released in what was rather expensive DVD box sets. Most series at the time were issued as singles but FY and a few other shows were issued as box sets as they had already been issued on VHS.

DVDs are so much better image quality and so much more convenient than VHS that the transition was rather rapid. I checked my records earlier this year and noted that while I was still buying some shows on VHS in early 1991 (because they were only offered that way) by 1992 everything was DVD.

I think you can assume that anything issued 1990 or before came out on VHS and or Laser Disk. Someone here can probably tell you what was the first anime issued in R1 on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4