• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Edge of Tomorrow's U.S. Box Office Climbs to US$74 Million in 3rd Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wow, the RT score has plummeted over the last 24 hours, and the critic blurbs don't even mention Wahlberg.
Not particularly surprising, the fact that there weren't very many reviews yesterday was a warning sign. Those were possibly reviewers willing to break a review embargo, and we all know how those are never a good sign for movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
And you're basing this on The Fault in Our Stars, I assume, because it's a tear-jerking romance...does that inheritely make it shallow? Why?

Because it's turning a debilitating disease like cancer into a sappy tween flavor of the month fantasy?

I don't think that's a fair assessment. I haven't read the book, so I can't argue that it has philosophical underpinnings, but I know the author has said that he wrote the book to help him deal with the death of a teenaged girl he knew who died of cancer. If a novel written in response to an author's own experience can't be considered at least a little
bit genuine, how cynical are we?
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Again, are you assuming women are the primary intended audience for EoT?

They probably weren't the primary audience, but they are influential, in terms of box office sales.

As they should be. Hollywood is very demographic oriented, though, and major movies are marketed accordingly. Thus, the young men who are expected to see Transformers in droves were expected to see EoT, too.

GATSU wrote:
How many YA books really have that much wide recognition when they get adapted?

Most of the ones that get adapted are. The Hunger Games was all over the plae before it got a movie.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
And you're basing this on The Fault in Our Stars, I assume, because it's a tear-jerking romance...does that inheritely make it shallow? Why?

Because it's turning a debilitating disease like cancer into a sappy tween flavor of the month fantasy?

*cough*cough*cough
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Agent:
Quote:
but I know the author has said that he wrote the book to help him deal with the death of a teenaged girl he knew who died of cancer.

I hope at least her family got paid for it, and the dude paid for her treatment, because at the moment, it seems none of the proceeds from that film will go to any cancer treatment and/or assistance charities and/or organizations.

Quote:
If a novel written in response to an author's own experience can't be considered at least a little bit genuine, how cynical are we?

But that's not the author's own experience. He's exploiting someone else's misery for a quick buck.

Quote:
Thus, the young men who are expected to see Transformers in droves were expected to see EoT, too.

Yes, but statistically, girls also see those shitty Transformers films in large numbers.

Quote:
Most of the ones that get adapted are. The Hunger Games was all over the plae before it got a movie.

Did most people know about Lemony Snicket or The Perks of Being a Wallflower?

enurtsol: Ok, and I don't like Full Moon O Sagashite, either. What's your point? Though in its defense, it's about a girl who wants to be able to achieve one dream before she dies, which is not so different from the purpose of Make-A-Wish. But I don't like when cancer is just used as one of many interchangeable masturbatory YA fanfic themes, and not treated with more respect. You just know the audience which saw TFIOS will not give any more of a damn about the disease after having seen the film than before they saw it. For them, it's just another disposable rom-com.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wow, the RT score has plummeted over the last 24 hours, and the critic blurbs don't even mention Wahlberg.

Then maybe people will go see Snowpiercer, which is awesome and is also being released this weekend and is a film worth supporting!
hooliganj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Agent:
Quote:
but I know the author has said that he wrote the book to help him deal with the death of a teenaged girl he knew who died of cancer.

I hope at least her family got paid for it, and the dude paid for her treatment, because at the moment, it seems none of the proceeds from that film will go to any cancer treatment and/or assistance charities and/or organizations.

The money made by the film studio is probably not going anywhere special, but it's a different story for the author, John Green. Two charities in particular benefited directly from the success of the novel. First, Green offered the family of the girl some of the proceeds from the novel, but they rejected it, and instead asked him to set up a charitable foundation to benefit the families of cancer patients and victims, called "This Star Won't Go Out" after a poem the girl had written. Green continues to make regular contributions, and sells merchandise to benefit the foundation.

Second, Green has been running his own charity for years, even before the success of TFIOS, called the Foundation to Decrease Worldsuck. Since the primary source of fundraising is Youtube, it may be easy to dismiss a project like that as internet shenanigans, but the Foundation has raised and donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for 3rd world education and literacy, rebuilding infrastructure in Haiti, and research to end various diseases, including cancer.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
If a novel written in response to an author's own experience can't be considered at least a little bit genuine, how cynical are we?

But that's not the author's own experience. He's exploiting someone else's misery for a quick buck.

John Green is definitely better off financially now than before he wrote the book, but I doubt if there was any point in the writing process where he thought "this is the one that will make me rich!" He didn't set out to exploit anyone's suffering - his own or others'. He just wrote a good story, based around a subject that he thought would be emotionally resonant because he had felt the effects himself.

I know this because I've read the book, and it is not exploitative in the least. As with any book there are flaws - the dialogue is a bit overwrought, the characters might be a bit too witty and clever, and Green can milk the tears from a sad scene more than just about any author working today - but overall it's a good book, and despite being a tear-jerker it's a fun read.

To bring this back to the original topic, I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow for the same reason I haven't seen The Fault In Our Stars. They both look like good movies, but my budget only allows for maybe 3-4 trips to the movies per year, and 2 of those are Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. There's a lot of competition and only so much money to go around.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
hooligan: Fair enough. Still, the studio should spring for a related charity, too. But that's a different gripe.

Quote:
but I doubt if there was any point in the writing process where he thought "this is the one that will make me rich!"

True, but he's still basically an outsider who's commodifying someone else's misery for a buck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2