• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Space Dandy Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed this series. I am going to be sad when there are no more new episodes.

Episode #19(#7) was my favorite of the second season thus far.

I really believe that the laugh track was used to piss off the critics of the show who complain that this show was to much like a sitcom, and also, it had no continuing story arc and it reset itself week after week.
My reply to the critics are that this is part of the show's charm! Their plenty of shows out there that have continuing story arcs (some way to long!). What wrong with having a show that with each episode you don't know what to expect from week to week.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
I've really enjoyed this series. I am going to be sad when there are no more new episodes.

Episode #19(#7) was my favorite of the second season thus far.

I really believe that the laugh track was used to piss off the critics of the show who complain that this show was to much like a sitcom, and also, it had no continuing story arc and it reset itself week after week.
My reply to the critics are that this is part of the show's charm! Their plenty of shows out there that have continuing story arcs (some way to long!). What wrong with having a show that with each episode you don't know what to expect from week to week.

there is nothing wrong with it. The thing is the same people complain about other shows that do what they want. You know what, that's the charm of other shows too. Just different audience.
You can't have both way.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
^Well, I don't post very often, and I don't remember putting down other similar shows.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad other people seem to like this show as much as I do! There are those select people that complain that it doesn't have a continuous plot, but when did that become a bad thing? I've always thought these people must be new to animation, because Space Dandy is hardly the only show to lack continuity (for the most part anyway). My take is that these people have become too comfortable watching the same types of anime. Because in modern days they all have to have dramatic story arcs it seems. So anything like this is spat upon. It's also amusing watching people attempt to find some sort of story, continuity or meaning in simple throwaway gags. Like the fact that they die in half the episodes but then reference said past events. There is no meaning behind that. It's no different than when Mr. Krabs got eaten in an episode of Spongebob. It's a joke and not meant to be looked at under a microscope.

Random thought but it ties in sort of: Courage the Cowardly Dog has always been one of my favorite series ever, animated or not. What I really love about it is how unique and interesting (I'd even go as far as to call it artsy) every episode is. They never attempted to do the same thing. So far Dandy has really reminded me of that series due to it not being afraid to be creative and experiment with different storytelling techniques and genres. I love not knowing what I'll get every week. One time its Dandy and pals forming a rock band and the next its an existential experience. They're always these extremely different stories, but they're tied together with charming characters that I love. And I'm also impressed with how constant the characterizing has been despite so many different talents working on episodes.

Watching it on Toonami every Saturday night has been a real treat. And I actually really wish there would be a third season. Because Dandy is not the type of show that I can see having a concrete ending, it could probably go on for at least twice as long. The only thing I want to know is why the Gogol Empire is chasing after Dandy! At this point I don't even think they themselves know why. The world may never know.

Also, episode 8 is probably the best episode of anything I've seen in a long time. Better than a lot of full anime series even!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't its lack of plot. The problem is that it isn't funny, it isn't interesting, it isn't enjoyable to watch. It's just animators posting slop from their scrapboards for 22 minutes for half the Season 2 episodes, and the other half are parodies that fall so flat on their faces you can see the dirt. A Glee parody in 2014? If that was a Simpson's episode people would call them even more tone deaf than they already are.

BE MORE FUNNY.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

A Glee parody in 2014?

Glee season 3 only started airing in Japan last summer.
Tellergrim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Miles Nelson here; I thought that episode 4 was more of an homage to high-school movies from the 1980's (the montage was pure 80's) than a straight up Glee parody.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Zac on that school episode, it was cute but they definitely lacked the budget to make it a true showstropper.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
For a guy calling himself Dandy, that wasn't a very Dandy way to act in the end.
(Thought being Dandy was being honest with yourself throwing caution to the wind no matter what.)

Now Catherine deserves him.

RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Tellergrim wrote:
Hi, Miles Nelson here; I thought that episode 4 was more of an homage to high-school movies from the 1980's (the montage was pure 80's) than a straight up Glee parody.

Children these days not knowing about the 80s High School movies that were everywhere. South Park similarly parodied those kinds of movies with their "ASS-pen" episode many years ago. I doubt Glee's even on Japan's radar. How old are we where it's strange that we remember the John Hughes movies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Japan has been living the American 80s for decades now.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Scarlet and Dandy didn't get together in the end....

Feels bad man... Anime cry

Anyway, Season 2 has been a fantastically enjoyable mix of funny and thoughtful. Two things that are sadly rare in any entertainment medium these days.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite moments this week was listening to 65 year old R Bruce Elliott attempting to sound hip and trendy when describing Planet Trendy to us. that was hilarious
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This review of episode 10... season 2 so 23?... has got me a bit interested in the show by being a gushing review of a shallow show. Rather than citing the many examples of interpreting dead horse comedy, implying there's some sort of beating happening to said beast, repeating as necessary of the ex equine for comedic purposes and then inferring outside emotions and influences upon the characters that belay both the episodic nature of the show and the status quo endings necessary for gag shows...

Anyway, I looked into the show and slapped myself with a dead fish for even considering it. Yeah, seen Red Dwarf, don't need to see a punny update of it going through "[blank] Movie" parodies.

Still, an impressive review if it's an intended parody, kind of embarrassing if it's straight... wait, there's a letter grade... A huh?

Plus, any time comedy feels the need for visual feats, I always remember why I prefer Bob Clampett over Chuck Jones.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Totally agree with the reviewer!

Thoroughly enjoy this episode! 2nd season continue to be as good as the 1st season if not better!

Boy, I sure hope for another season!

Question: What is the Subject Line for? I put Episode 10 in and it doesn't show up in post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6